Eldar and Tyranid Career Path Homebrew

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 LodgeBlackman99

LodgeBlackman99

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

The Webway remains the same as it does to Human Explorers.  the Innards of a Tyranid Spaceship I'm leaving purely up to the discretion of the GM.  There's varying pictures of it all over the internet, so for the sake of consistency I'm leaving it up to the imagination.  If it helps picture it, I've always seen them very much like what occurs when the Xenomorphs in the Aliens franchise begin to take over an area.

In regards to purchasing them, utilize the same stats and rules presented in the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook and Battlefleet Koronus, with whatever modifiers seem appropriate.  All the basic components would fall under "Xeno-Tech or components costing more than 2 SP" as detailed in Battlefleet Koronus.  Generally finding them will be incredibly difficult on the market, though possibly might be located on a borderline heretical Forge World from curious Magos Biologi.  They also make for great adventure hooks/rewards since they're very hard to find.

Update: The Necron Character Guide has now been updated, and now has Necron Starship Hulls!  Feedback is always appreciated, and a summation of edits is included below.

Minor graphical changes and cleanups, additional graphics added
      Redid Necron Starships Section
      Added Necron Starship Hulls Section
      Necron Operator re-named to Harvestmaster

Edited by LodgeBlackman99, 19 August 2014 - 01:55 AM.

#42 Ramellan

Ramellan

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

Wow, just as I was wishing for ideas about craftworders, I find this page. Really amazing, can't believe you found the time to put all this together. I only wish I was skilled enough to contribute, but I had enough trouble modifying RT Tau to work in Deathwatch. Still, you should be congratulated. Between these 3 I think we've got every major faction in the universe covered now by one RPG or another.

Thank you.

(Umm, haven't looked through the full thing yet, but where did you find all this lore? Is it all copied from other books, or the wiki? Is some of of it hand-written by you? And also, where do you stand on Isha? I thought there healing goddess had survived too, being captured by Nurgle.

Edited by Ramellan, 23 August 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#43 Ramellan

Ramellan

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

Aaand now I'm turned off. Ugh, was so into the Eldar for a couple days there. Then I picked up the Path of the Eldar omnibus and Uuuugh, the grimdark. So much grimdark. Now I remember why I make my own stories, I can have all the fluff-breaking happy endings I please. Well, I guess I'm still going to need these guides so I can dream of more sappy stories. So still thank you. :)

#44 LodgeBlackman99

LodgeBlackman99

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed it!  Most of the lore is from the Rogue Trader books, but there is also some stuff from the 40k wikia and Lexicanum, and in the case of the Necrons in the Expanse, Necron Harvestmaster, the Tyranids in the Expanse, Ymgarl Tyranid alternate ranks I wrote those myself.  I actually hadn't read anything on Isha or found anything pertaining to it in the RT lore, but there's nothing against it in the guides, so it's fair game if you want to use it.  If I have the time to read up on her, I might put in a more involved page for her and the other remaining Eldar gods.

I'm in agreement with a lot of the overly grim dark, but remember that the official take on a lot of it is that it's all canon, no matter how contradictory, so you can pick and choose what you like and disregard the rest.

Let me know how your using it goes, if you find anything that might need changing or clarification, of if there's anything you might want to contribute!  I really appreciate the thanks, it means a lot that people enjoy the guides.

#45 javcs

javcs

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

For the Necrons ... maybe this is just me, but they don't use the Warp - or Warp-based technology - at all; I'd cast their Dolmen Gate network more like slipspace than the Webway, and so if you fail a Nav test, you don't end up in a breached section of the Webway, you missed/messed up a decision point and reentered realspace somewhere you weren't planning on going to, and instead of Warp travel ... not quite sure how to work it, Nav(Stellar) for inertialess drive jumps within a given range/distance, because you can only go so far in a straight line without needing to avoid something in realspace, fail the test and you screwed up your calculations/missed some sort of celestial body and get forced out of FTL early or miss your target destination and stay in FTL too long.

Might pull the Nav(stellar) over to the Tyranids as well, only they'd move slower than the 'Crons, since they're moving through/manipulating realspacetime, not the Warp itself.

Or, at least ... that was before the "everybody uses the Warp/Webway" nonsense started happening in blatant contradiction of everything.

#46 Zoombie

Zoombie

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

I expected to hate the Tyranid character class. 

But then I read it...and I find myself in love! Seven of Nine as vampiric shape shifting space Illithid! I approve. 

Of course, the PC who wants to play them said: "Can I look like Sarah Kerrigan?" 

And I said, "...maybe." 

#47 LodgeBlackman99

LodgeBlackman99

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Javcs, You might be right, I've only had a look at the Lexicanum, 40kwikia, Battlefleet Gothic, and Rogue Trader/Deathwatch lore in regards to Necrons.  In BFG there's nothing about the particulars of their FTL travel, just that they don't use the Warp.  In Rogue Trader/Deathwatch it isn't really covered too in depth either, and so I had to go with what was presented in the reference sites, which has references to the 5th edition codex versions of Necron space travel where they utilize the webway.  With that I decided to use the existing rules I had made for Eldar webway travel, since it would funciton in much the same way.

Tyranids normally do travel at sublight speeds after reaching the edge of systems, a limitation of the FTL travel that they use in the form of the Narvhal Bio Ship, which can translate Hive Fleets to the edge of systems and then allows the ships to progress utilizing sublight drives, which is where their normal delay comes in, referenced from the 5th edition codex.  I decided to give the Tyranid Ships presented in my guide all modified Narvhal drives, which would function similar to the Warp drives and allow the ships to function like the rest of the ships in terms of travel time, but also be more vulnerable to the dangers.

Those were mostly design decisions based around making sure the Necron and Tyranid ships were unique but not incredibly overpowered or too divergent from existing rules, to make them compatible but not so good that they would replace existing vehicles, starships, and vessels.

Zoombie, I'm glad you liked it!  The Tyranid guide was the hardest one to create since there were no real guidelines or options for Alternate Ranks, and the shapeshifting mechanic was built from the ground up.  Let me know how the using it goes and if there are any things that wind up being balance issues or unclear.  My goal has been to have these guides be equivalent in power level to the rest of Rogue Trader and change them if they aren't, and also be available if there are any questions.

I've unfortunately had real world responsibilities come back to take up a lot of time, but I've got a few ideas for additions to the Eldar Character Guide that I'm working on, though I'm unsure when I'd be able to add them in.

#48 Ramellan

Ramellan

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hey. Been reading through the Eldar guide some more. Not a professional critic here, but your art choices are really amazing.

Anyway, got two questions for you. First of all, Craftworld Kaelor. I tried to look them up, but the info I found on the net seems different than what you've written. Like the official stuff was in the past. Did you do that? Not complaining, I like Kaelor overall, just wondering.

Second question is a bit more of a complaint, though. Craftworld Eldar don't seem to get as many unique traits as other Xenos races. I see the one dealing with agility, and the paths of the past trait, but that's it. Am I missing any? Or is it something else?

#49 LodgeBlackman99

LodgeBlackman99

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the compliment Ramellan!  Google image search is a wonderful thing.

In answer to your questions, Craftworld Kaelor is in the Calixis Sector, not the Koronus Expanse.  All the lore that I utilized was from the Rogue Trader line, which doesn't delve too much into the Calixis Sector itself, so there may be discrepancies.  I also don't really follow the tabletop, so it might be a discrepancy there as well.  I decided not to have the craftworlds be a big part of the guide because there aren't really any but one in the Expanse, and it's not exactly doing very well at the moment!  A big part of the Expanse is that there's a large 'anything goes' mentality, so I decided to use their inherent warp connection as the basis for character creation instead.  There's nothing wrong with having them be an outcast or pathfinder from any craftworld of your choice, however!  I just decided to leave that part up to the imagination of the players and GMs.

That's actually by virtue of the fact that I tried to make their career path as simply as I possibly could, which required much less tweaking due to the sheer number of examples available in the system to go off of.  The Paths of Ages Past and several of the custom talents were the easiest way to represent the existing book examples without making them too divergent on the power scale.  Additionally, the Eldar Outcast career path has the best Eldar trait of all: versatility.  You can become incredibly proficient in a huge number of areas with that path, reflecting the shifting drives that Eldar feel as they progress through the paths throughout their lifetime, even before factoring in Alternate Ranks.  The Seer has a little less versatility, but can can some incredibly powerful and specialized powers and talents as well, which seemed enough, and as such I personally felt it was an accurate representation.  That's the reason behind that decision.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS