Loyalist Traitor Chapters

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

I also really liked The Unremembered Empire. It's Dan Abnett but it's not written the way he usually writes.

The Alpha legion are badass, (I loved that bith with Guilliman seeing a three headed hydra in a cracked window)

Lion el johnson is his usualy dickish self (that bit with the space wolves ritual dual made me laugh) and Nighthaunter is uber badass as some kind of daemonic batman.

The xanthites (and the Kabal for that matter) are doomed to failure. They will turn chaos against chaos, but they fail to notice chaos already fights chaos. (slaanesh vs khorne etc...) In fact chaos is so used to fighting itself that it can't be properly turned against itself or win so hard it ends up destroying itself. (I think that's the main reason why most of tzeentch plans disrupt each other) You can't turn what already has been turned.

This is possibly the reason GW retconned Mallal out of the chaos pantheon. There is no need for a chaos god who fights the other four, when those four are already fighting amongst themselves...

#62 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

This is possibly the reason GW retconned Mallal out of the chaos pantheon. There is no need for a chaos god who fights the other four, when those four are already fighting amongst themselves...

Out of curiosity, where exactly did the idea of Malal as a Chaos God come from? All I can find on the interwebs is a single short story in a Black Library publication, mention of two comic artists who supposedly came up with the concept and posted it as a fan submission, and a whooole lot of discussion on Lexicanum where people are like "he was in this source", followed by "actually I have that book and he's not in there" etc.

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#63 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

He is mentioned in WHFRP 1st edition (page 210) : "Malal is a renegade chaos god, who turned against the others and is dedicated to their destruction. His followers, sometimes called the Doomed Ones, seek out and destroy the followers of the other chaos gods wherever they may be found."  Malal has a draconic face with curved horns and a humanoid body.

Where the idea of Malal came form is, i think, a few notes scrawled on a coaster after the GW guys had a few to many drinks in the pub. It is intresting that the WHFRPG book mentions both Khorne and Nurgle aswel but not Slaanesh and Tzeentch.

That concept of the Doomed ones would make a great cult in DH: the acolytes on a mission to destroy a chaos cult, run across another cult trying to do the same... will they team up or wipe both cults out?

Nobody expects the Chaos Inquisition!

A renegade chaos god? So he's chaos Lorenzo Lamas? :)

Edited by Robin Graves, 17 September 2014 - 06:53 AM.

#64 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

That concept of the Doomed ones would make a great cult in DH: the acolytes on a mission to destroy a chaos cult, run across another cult trying to do the same... will they team up or wipe both cults out?

I believe the Phaeonite mentality encapsulates that motto in the Inquisition at least. I believe their the ones with the alternate rank in Radical's Handbook where you damn yourself to steel your body and mind against the Archenemy. Sin Eater I believe they're called.

Never team up with the enemy, they're the enemy for a reason. - Puritian motto

The enemy of my enemy can be an ally, for a time. - Radical motto

• Lynata likes this

I've made an expanded Divination table for Dark Heresy Second Edition.Find it here: 

http://community.fan...general-thread/

#65 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

He is mentioned in WHFRP 1st edition (page 210) : "Malal is a renegade chaos god, who turned against the others and is dedicated to their destruction. His followers, sometimes called the Doomed Ones, seek out and destroy the followers of the other chaos gods wherever they may be found."  Malal has a draconic face with curved horns and a humanoid body.

So this stems from back when the WHFB and the 40k worlds were supposed to exist in the same setting (I still like that idea btw) and information would carry over? Hmmh. Who made the link between Malal and Malice, though? Did anyone read that Black Library short story, by chance?

At times it's difficult to back-trace things like these as there's a lot of hearsay in the fandom...

Where the idea of Malal came form is, i think, a few notes scrawled on a coaster after the GW guys had a few to many drinks in the pub.

Allegedly it was two comic book authors, though that is just hearsay as well. But I assume they might have had a hand in the WFRP (I see lots of non-regular names in the credits), as this would explain how it got in there yet was forgotten when they changed teams?

Anyways, thanks for shedding some light onto this!  :)

previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#66 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

I have heard that the Sons of malice renegade chapter were suposed to be follower of malal, but that's probably fan stuff.

WHFRPG was made late 80's around the time of warhammer 3'd edition (pre-army books, so very early stuff) You know, now i think of it, Malal could be mentioned in one of the old white dwarfs , they had comics like Thud the Barbarian. I'll have a look at them see, if i can turn anything up.

Glad to help. :)

• Lynata likes this

#67 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Okay so i checked http://warhammer40k.....com/wiki/Malal, atleast they stated their sources. Btw i think the whole lexicanum discussion about Malal not apearing in said sources is because they mostly deal with his champions.

The way i see it, wikia is correct:  The concept of the Chaos God "Malal" was created by comics writers John Wagner and Alan Grant along with Malal's champion, Kaleb Daark. Allegedly the comic was canceled because of "creative differences" between the creators and Games Workshop. The first story was produced in 85 while WHFRPG was released a year later in 86. So as far as i'm concerened Malal is their baby.

I've checked some of the sources myself: whfrpg, white dwarf 83 (white dwarf 79 seems to be wrong somehow even tough WD83 mentionts it!), third citadel compendium. and they mention malal but mostly his champions. I don't have access to the other mentioned sources. Reading the comic does make it clear why Malal symbol is a black and white skull: it is actualy taken from kaleb daark's armor.

PS I've found the kaleb daark comic online:

http://www.solegends...comp3/index.htm

http://www.solegends...comp3077-01.htm

citcomp3077-01.jpg

Edited by Robin Graves, 17 September 2014 - 03:26 PM.

• Lynata likes this

#68 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Thanks, the effort is appreciated! :)

Always glad to see someone else with reaaally old WD's, too! ^^

[edit] Hey, that website seems to be rather cool in general...

Edited by Lynata, 17 September 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#69 javcs

javcs

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

I believe the Phaeonite mentality encapsulates that motto in the Inquisition at least. I believe their the ones with the alternate rank in Radical's Handbook where you damn yourself to steel your body and mind against the Archenemy. Sin Eater I believe they're called.

Never team up with the enemy, they're the enemy for a reason. - Puritian motto

The enemy of my enemy can be an ally, for a time. - Radical motto

Nope. Phaenonites are the techno-heretical offshoot of the Xanthites. Their exclusive alt rank is the Maletek Stalker, and they've a unique elite advance as well. The Phaenonites do not believe in worshipping gods - any gods, be they of Chaos/the Warp or the God-Emperor. They are more opposed to Chaos gods and the worship thereof than the God-Emperor and worshipping him, but that's largely because the Chaos-worshippers would destroy mankind.

They are Excommunicate Traitoris.

Sin Eater is the alt rank of the Oblationists. They accept damnation upon themselves to wield Chaos artifacts and sorceries.

The difference between Oblationists and Xanthites is that the Xanthite believes he can utilize certain powers and types of artifacts without automatically condemning himself and his soul if he is sufficiently strong-willed, careful, and deliberate in their use, whereas the Oblationist believes himself condemned before he starts (they go through a ritual and everything), dead before the eyes of the Emperor, and so uses those same powers and artifacts in the service of Mankind, and believes anyone who thinks they can use such things without automatically condemning themselves in the Emperor's Sight is a fool.

The Oblationists have not been declared Excommunicate Traitoris.

#70 Ramellan

Ramellan

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

They should be, if you ask me. People like the Xanthites and Oblationists will always do more harm than good. Yes, technically, it Is possible to harness the power of Chaos and, through supreme willpower and unwavering faith, turn it to your will. BUT, the number of people who can actually manage to do this even once, not to even consider those who do it repeatedly, is so small compared to the number of those who attempt it. 9 times out of 10 (or is that 99 out of 100) such attempts will backfire on the person, and backfire horrifically, sometimes creating whole new threats to the Imperium that must be dealt with. Worse still, every Xanthite who actually succeeds in their efforts will only inspire more people to try and do the unthinkable, most of whom will never be able to handle the unreal attentions of those they call forth. In short, it is not worth it.

I'm no Puritan, but I know the slippery slope of justifying madness when I see it.

#71 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

Something to think about:

Both the leader of the space wolves and ultramarines wield weapons taken from chaos champions. And that's just the ones i know of! How many more chapters or individual marines wield reporposed chaos weapons? How long will it take for them to become corrupted?

Tought for today: Trust no one, not even yourself. It is better to die in vain, than live as an abomination.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS