Is this game worth starting now?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 agedsuperdave

agedsuperdave

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

So my two cents to add to this discussion.  

So I think the pod system is a really cool, and a great way to play a CGC/LCG without being a deck builder person.  My wife really likes it, the only deck limits she had to worry about is the objective limits.  She grabs the five cards with the objective x 10, and boom there is her deck.    

But there is another side to this pod system, and this is the lack of variety in decks.  In high-end events for any game you have the people who are min/maxing everything they play.  But normally you have a little variety within those deck.  For example in Netrunner there are times where it feels like everyone is playing NBN, but there are still variations of the same deck type.  Different cards people add here and there to fit their play style better.  Times where you go "wow I didn't see that card coming".

In SW LCG you just don't have enough of that.  If everyone brings the 10 best DS objectives everyone else will have the same deck.  This is where the "OMG PEOPLE ONLY PLAY X=META DECK" deck is coming from.

I'm more then likely wrong.  I just think if they removed the pod system, still had resource matching, and had a 2-4 of each card limit.  It would open up so many more option and variations.  

#42 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

I just think if they removed the pod system, still had resource matching, and had a 2-4 of each card limit.  It would open up so many more option and variations.  

That would most certainly make the game horrendous. The game has been designed with the Objective Set system in mind, if one removes that and makes the only restriction to deckbuilding be "2-4 copies of cards" then it would be 2-4 copies of what is considered the best cards. Sure, there would be a variety of options but the people who only play what is considered to be the strongest deck will just do the same in that format. Imagine, 4 Jedi mind tricks and 4 Rebel Assaults in a deck where you don't have to run the Objective Sets or the cards that go with them.

TL;DR That would make things worse.

• Toqtamish likes this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#43 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

In SW LCG you just don't have enough of that.  If everyone brings the 10 best DS objectives everyone else will have the same deck.  This is where the "OMG PEOPLE ONLY PLAY X=META DECK" deck is coming from.

I actually have the opposite experience with SWLCG.  While everyone may be playing the same core 6-8 objective sets, those last 2-4 sets that vary between decks mean that a large portion of the deck ends up being different.

The objective set system does prevent the "I didn't see that one coming" effect a different way though.  If you know the objective sets well enough you'll likely see a card from the surprise set in a discard or edge battle in time to not be caught off guard at an inopportune moment.  I personally see this as a good thing as it's another point where skill/knowledge gives you an advantage.

• SolennelBern, shaggscoob, MacRauri and 2 others like this

#44 Boris_the_Dwarf

Boris_the_Dwarf

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

This game has some fun factor, but there are better card games out there IMO. The biggest strike against it is the lazy pod "the designers build the decks" aspect. I realize some people don't like deck construction, but that's why God created board games.

#45 Boris_the_Dwarf

Boris_the_Dwarf

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

Too little too late, the mistakes completely killed the game for me and for those I play with casually.

If you played casually why did you and your friends bother with metagaming? I can understand wanting to try out something like Dash/Freeholders once for fun if you have never used it. Why, though, would anyone continue to use the meta decks in casual play? Casual is just for fun.

This is a common misconception. "Casual" and "competitive" aren't mutually exclusive. Every game played is competitive. The only thing that's different between casual and tournament is the reward for winning.

#46 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:04 AM

This game has some fun factor, but there are better card games out there IMO. The biggest strike against it is the lazy pod "the designers build the decks" aspect. I realize some people don't like deck construction, but that's why God created board games.

It's just a different type of deck construction, definitely original, which I enjoy. 

But, I certainly understand why it's not for everyone.

#47 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

Too little too late, the mistakes completely killed the game for me and for those I play with casually.

If you played casually why did you and your friends bother with metagaming? I can understand wanting to try out something like Dash/Freeholders once for fun if you have never used it. Why, though, would anyone continue to use the meta decks in casual play? Casual is just for fun.

This is a common misconception. "Casual" and "competitive" aren't mutually exclusive. Every game played is competitive. The only thing that's different between casual and tournament is the reward for winning.
And yet people will play a game casually at the kitchen table, without any prospect of a reward influencing their playstyle. But why? I think common sense will offer that the game is played for fun. And a key factor for fun in any CCG or LCG is variety: you get to adapt the game to you, rather than the other way around. This is why the genre is so popular. So why sacrifice that key element and play the "been there, done that" deck that everyone knows and hates, when there is no incentive to win other than pride?

#48 Boris_the_Dwarf

Boris_the_Dwarf

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

Because it teaches you how to play your best, for one reason.

#49 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

I agree with Boris on this one.  I think that competition in games is a vital aspect and when games get casual, they die.

Boris, did you used to play Star Wars minis?  I think I recognize your handle from those forums.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS