Is this game worth starting now?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

I was referring to the Dash/Freeholders restriction as an example of poor development of the game.  I think they've really dropped the ball on providing any sort of balance between affiliations.  The restriction was the right call, certainly, but it's a combo of cards that should never have been released.

The shiny theme, which is done really well, obscures some pretty big warts in how the game plays.

I have to agree. I have fought for this game, I've tried to keep people playing it, but it's really annoying that I buy these force packs and deluxe expansions and I get the same result every time. FFG makes OP cards to counter other OP cards and we find ourselves in another Meta that everyone plays over and over again. It was straight Smuggler and Sith, now it's Jedi Smuggler and Sith. The game is boring, and I get tired of wasting my money on a force pack of 5 Objective sets when I only need to to be competitive.. It's a shame, because I really wanted this game to be good, but it just continues to disappoint even when it shouldn't..

#22 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:03 AM

Too little too late, the mistakes completely killed the game for me and for those I play with casually.

#23 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:15 AM

Too little too late, the mistakes completely killed the game for me and for those I play with casually.

If you played casually why did you and your friends bother with metagaming? I can understand wanting to try out something like Dash/Freeholders once for fun if you have never used it. Why, though, would anyone continue to use the meta decks in casual play? Casual is just for fun.

Edited by GroggyGolem, 03 September 2014 - 06:28 AM.

• Toqtamish, MarthWMaster, SolennelBern and 1 other like this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#24 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

Note the two distinct groups, for me, and for those I play with casually.

Regarding casual, new guy threw together a random Smuggler deck from what he had, won on Turn 3. (Yep, Dash-Holders).

That left a stain.

Edited by Keffisch, 09 September 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#25 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

Note the two distinct groups, for me, and for those I play with casually.

Regarding casual, new guy threw together a random Smuggler deck from what he had, won on Turn 3. (Yep, Dash-Holders).

That left a stain.

I won on turn two with Sleuth Scouts all the time. So what, they can and are easy enough to counter if you know what you are doing. So could Dash/Freeholders but FFG chose to ban it instead based on US event results. 

#26 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Having been the victim of many a Sleuth rush I'm well aware. A bad draw or a bad decision during the Edge battle and you're dust.

Also, that turn 2-4 wins existed before the (super) broken combo came out doesn't really make the game more enticing, for us, or for the new players we tried to get into the LCG. It killed the game off like nothing I've ever seen before it could gain a following.

The art and base mechanics are ace.

But combos like that are a true sign of bad game design - particularly when you're pushing your game as a thematic game, imho.

Not hating on it, I am sharing our experience with it and you guys obviously still like it and feel differently.

Power to you, it didn't do it for us however.

Edited by Keffisch, 10 September 2014 - 02:45 PM.

• admat likes this

#27 Ghaerdon

Ghaerdon

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Wow I wish I had read this thread before I spent $200 on the game. I'll enjoy it causally then for a bit.
  • admat likes this

Rebels: 4 X Wings; 3 B Wings; 2 A Wings; 2 Y Wings; 2 E Wing; 5 z95; 1 YT-1300; 1 YT-2400; 2 HWK-290; GR-75; Tantive
Empire: 7 Tie Fighters; 3 Tie Interceptors; 2 Tie Bombers; 1 Tie Advanced; 2 Firespray-31; 2 Lambda Shuttles; 2 Tie Defender; 2 Tie Phantom; Decimator
Scum: (will be getting ... 1 Most Wanted; 2 StarViper; 1 IG-2000; 2 M3-A)

#28 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Wow I wish I had read this thread before I spent $200 on the game. I'll enjoy it causally then for a bit.

Don't pay too much attention to all of the complaining on the internet. I personally had more fun at nationals this year than any other tournament and think the game is currently in a very fun place.
  • SolennelBern, MacRauri and GroggyGolem like this

#29 ImperialBucketHead

ImperialBucketHead

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:33 AM

Don't pay too much attention to all of the complaining on the internet. I personally had more fun at nationals this year than any other tournament and think the game is currently in a very fun place.

I agree with your statement dbmeboy.  While the meta continues to change it is making it to where we can see some interesting decks out there and it is a great time to play, I know I enjoy every game, win-lose, casual - competitive.. all of it great fun!

Edited by ImperialBucketHead, 15 September 2014 - 12:34 AM.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#30 stevepop

stevepop

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

Yes, the game is still a lot of fun and becoming more interesting as new decks emerge. Navy, for example, has been looking strong lately and spoilers point the way to some bonkers-looking Navy TIE decks soon. Jedi Gamor had been dominant, but around here they're not anymore as everyone's figured out counters like the Sith/Scum decks you see around. Sleuths haven't been that good in a while and are pretty much terrible against these. Rebel speeder decks are still a lot of fun and can do well. What's been really strong lately are pure Jedi decks with a heavy emphasis on shielding using A Deep Commitment and, sometimes, a splash of ewoks.

Anyway, you're going to see a lot of whining about card balance much like the current whining about Netrunner and Near Earth Hub. Whatever. Neither game is perfect, but I still play them a lot and this game, in particular, is still one of my favorites.

• admat likes this

#31 FiendishDevil

FiendishDevil

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:31 AM

Game is a lot of fun. There's been broken combos with every release of new content.

To me, the fun is designing decks on the fly with the objective system.. I love being able to just say "I want to build a thematic creature deck, let's just throw in all the objectives with creatures in it and see how it plays".

I have not paid attention to competitive meta at all, I personally think that LCG system meta is usually silver-bullet-ish anyhow. All the LCGs will experience that issue...

• admat likes this

#32 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

I've played CCG's/LCG's for a VERY long time and I personally see about as many different viable decks in the competitive arena in this game as I have seen in other, far more popular games.  If anyone can show me a card game in which the top tier meta decks don't simply look like rock, paper, scissors, then I'd love to play that game.  Until the next expansion comes out and ruins it ;)

• agedsuperdave likes this

#33 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

I find it interesting that you guys are having this conversation and someone made this report about winning a tournament (at a very competitive venue, I might add) with solo Navy and solo Rebel:

http://www.cardgamed...rnament-report/

• GroggyGolem likes this

#34 stevepop

stevepop

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:00 AM

Yep, that Navy deck's for real. I played 2 games with it tonight. Lost one game when I was a turn away from taking the game and won the other pretty easily. With some of the new Navy cards that have been spoiled I predict that they're going to become the DS faction to play. And then people can whine about that.  :)

• GroggyGolem likes this

#35 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

Yep, that Navy deck's for real. I played 2 games with it tonight. Lost one game when I was a turn away from taking the game and won the other pretty easily. With some of the new Navy cards that have been spoiled I predict that they're going to become the DS faction to play. And then people can whine about that.  :)

I've always liked Navy for DS. It just feels awesome ignoring defence and rushing for Objectives. :D

#36 FiendishDevil

FiendishDevil

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

My favorite deck in core set and early hoth packs was Imperial vehicle/navy. Kuat Reinforcements and also that one repair one...so good.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#37 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

My favorite deck in core set and early hoth packs was Imperial vehicle/navy. Kuat Reinforcements and also that one repair one...so good.

Death Squadron Star Destroyers are the best. :D :D :D :D :D 

#38 FiendishDevil

FiendishDevil

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

When that imperial hoth set came out with "A Dark Time for the Rebellion" objective. Oh man...

• GroggyGolem likes this

#39 HugeFlower

HugeFlower

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

Hi! First post here.

After reading this thread, I saw this article by Flip the Force.

http://fliptheforce....les.php?rid=123

Good read on the different LS type decks and the possible DS counters.

One of their decks was the "Force Beater", that had very good chances against Force Lock.

They tried other things that were more consistent against other builds (because there is more

than one LS build, you know), but finally, keeping is Force Beater would have been the best idea.

I really like this attitude of experimentation to find new ways to play the game, particularly coming from a guy in the US top 16.

In fact, the deck-building aspect of this game should go this way, and I believe this game has enough material to do this.

To the question "It this game worth starting now?", if you're talking about meta, the answer depends. If people keep on using the seductive pods for a simple and efficient win (read : the dark side :P), the meta might stay stagnant. But if you're willing to try to be creative, you can be a part of the solution.

I admit the pod system makes it easy to go for "the best pods" and FFG is not entirely innocent in this, but if you bought the game because many design elements pleased you, there is still a lot of fun to be had (in the current state and in the future).

• GroggyGolem likes this

#40 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

...but if you bought the game because many design elements pleased you, there is still a lot of fun to be had (in the current state and in the future).

Wow, I love this line. It's a very good reminder of why we (or I, at least) play this game. I mean, sure, Star Wars is a big part of it, but there are so many ways to enjoy Star Wars games these days and the design of the game play for Star Wars: The Card Game is very pleasing.

Edited by Budgernaut, 24 September 2014 - 10:14 PM.

• Thanatopsis and HugeFlower like this

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS