Base Building

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 greengamer19

greengamer19

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

So I've been running a game for nearly 2 months now and the group wants a more stable home base than their ship. Rather than giving them a pre-built base, I want to give them the location of a sizeable asteroid that they can use to build a base. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything related to the cost of building such things. I've considered making liberal use of obligation to help them get the base up and running but I have a feeling they will do what they can to avoid that so I need to have some sort of pricing in mind before I start. Any recommendations for material to look at or should I just start making numbers up (using ship costs as a guide)?

• kaosoe likes this

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

To me it's a ship with no hyperdrive, so pick a silhouette and wing it.

• awayputurwpn likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 Naboooki

Naboooki

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

I would say plan it in stages, and make it a sizable Investment so they have to work towards a final goal. I'm not sure how much free flowing cash your players have on hand, but make just out of their reach. This will make them search for work in order to acquire the needed resources.

Perhaps even planning a mini-campaign to help them work towards their goal.

Part one can consist of them acquiring land (either on a planet or asteroid, or even a space station). Either make it expensive or saddle them with a ton of obligation.

Part two could be them retrofitting their lair to suit their needs. Perhaps they want a particular set of facilities, they require time and effort to build/setup/acquire.

In a third part you could introduce some threat. Make them fight for their newly settled home, which will make it more meaningful to them.

In the long run, think about what expenses are needed to keep the base running. Power? Water? Staff and other hired help? From this point it's up to you and them to figure out what is most needed!

Have fun, keep us informed!
  • bradknowles likes this

#4 SaraMcDohl

SaraMcDohl

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

In my game, which takes place before the Battle of Yavin, My players found their way to Mustafar, and took over the nearly destroyed remains of the CIS base there.  Fun note, I've been forcing them to fix a lot of the problems with said base.  [I know..I shouldn't have let em have it..but it was fun.]

• greengamer19 likes this

#5 greengamer19

greengamer19

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, my plan is to use it as yet another credit sink and thing to give them upgrades for - between their base, ship, and themselves, I have so much I can do in terms of loot.

The group is about halfway through finishing the mission that ends with them finding the area for their base - it is the asteroid from the adventure in the corebook that I've pasted into another adventure. The next several sessions will be setting it up into something that actually resembles a base instead of a cavern I'm sure.

But before I do that I would like to have to have somewhat of an idea of how much it would cost the group to build, say a hanger that can fit three silhouette 3 and two silhouette 4 ships or one silhouette 5 ship. I've thought about making it roughly the cost of the total silhouette it can fit (which would allow room for upgrades in the future) but in many ways a ship is more expensive than a room to keep it in.

#6 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Track down the old WEG supp Hideouts and Strongholds. D6 holocron is a good place to start.

It doesn't translate directly but its pretty close and people here will be happy to help.

In that supp it talks at length about base building of every kind, from asteroid mine starfighter bases to luxury townhouse warehouses.
  • R2builder likes this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#7 greengamer19

greengamer19

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Track down the old WEG supp Hideouts and Strongholds. D6 holocron is a good place to start.

I wonder if I have that in my collection of tabletop pdfs... Thanks for the info.

#8 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Consider giving it to them for "free," perhaps by them stumbling across it while surveying, and use it as a hook into a big adventure.

• Col. Orange and derroehre like this

Sic transit gloria.

#9 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Also the WEG books Planets of the Galaxy Vol I-III and Platt's smugglers guide can give you some great information too.

I will be doing something similar, but on a planet, not an astroid. I have always liked the planet Korbin from PotG Vol III. So I will entice my group to make that their new home as base of operations.

Don't listen to Ghostofman, he has no idea what he is talking about!!!!!!!! :)

I am not a fan of advertising away from this forum, and FFG, but another place you can go for OLD Star Wars information is The Rancor Pit.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum. Keep us updated with your progress so, we can, um, uh, approve it, yeah, that's it, approve it, not borrow it or anything....cough...cough.

Um, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but um... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?...
  • Ghostofman, kaosoe, PartTimeGamer93 and 1 other like this

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#10 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

Like the pirate said, I'd probably just create a "vehicle", give it 0 for handling and speed, include a fair number of HP so you can customize it, and give it an appropriate encumbrance rating so you can store all of your group's extra stuff.  They do this exact thing for the Comm Station in Takeover at Whisper Base, so there's a precedence for it.  And if it's attacked, you even have a vehicle profile to run the encounter.  

• bradknowles likes this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.3.0, Released 10/3/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#11 BadMotivator

BadMotivator

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

I wouldn't make it too expensive to at least get a basic base set up(without any facilities beyond bunks, refreshers, and basic life support)

A silhouette 6 asteroid base in my mind with nothing extra would be a ship with stats something like this

Sil: 6

Spd: 0

Handling: -

Defense: 0-0-0-0

Armor: 6

HT: 1000

SS: 500

Customization Hard Points: 25

Facilities: A few refreshers, bunk space for 20, 1 storage bay(1,000 enc), and basic atmospheric scrubbers.

Cost: 10,000 credits

Upgrades and add-ons

Additional Storage bay(1,000 enc): 5,000 credits, 5 hard points, may be purchased multiple times

Medical bay: 10,000 credits, 5 hard points: Lowers the difficulty of all medical checks performed in the bay by 3, includes 2 bacta tanks, and provides the equivalent of 10 stimpacks a day.

Repair bay: 10,000 credits, 5 hard points. Lowers the difficulty of all mechanics checks performed in the bay by 3, contains an Oil Bath, and provides the equivalent of 10 repair patches a day.

The following Starship upgrades may be applied to an Asteroid Base with a 10% price increase due to the specialized components needed.

Advanced Targeting Array

Enhanced Carbon Durasteel armor

Electronic Countermeasures Suite

Reinforced Shield Generator(3 hard points required)

Retrofitted Hanger Bay(5 hard points required)

Upgraded weapons

I am the lag on your server! I am the cluster of dead pixels! I am the rattle in your engine! I am the friction in your bearings! I am the wearing down of your joints! I am the crick in your neck! I am the cracked gasket! I am the short circuit! I am the corroded fluid duct! I am the imperfect weld! I am entropy!

I am the Bad Motivator!

#12 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

the homestead creation rules being teased for Far Horizons might help you out a little bit with this, depending on your definition of a "base." The suggested model using starship stats is also a fun possibility.

• Doc, the Weasel and Ghostofman like this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#13 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

HT: 1000

SS: 500

1000 HT is more than a capital ship. Mix that with the Armor of 6, and this base is indestructible.

I would have it be less sturdy. It is, after all, just a rock in space, so it would be easier to blow apart than a freighter, let alone the strongest ships in the game. Maybe Armor of 2, with 50 HT Threshhold, and no SS Threshhold. That could just be narrative; you get hit with Ion Blasts? The lights die out.

• bradknowles likes this

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

-Elie Wiesel

#14 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

That depends on how big the rock is, how solid it is, and what it is made of. Don't forget the rocks we see star destroyers blowing apart with ease weren't that big, and we have no idea what they were made of. For all we know they had pockets of explosive or incendiary material in them and that was what made them so fragile. 

#15 derroehre

derroehre

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

I too thought about an asteroid base.

My idea

• was to have them permanently "park" a big freighter on it, modifying it, building it into the asteroid, and so on.
  • old mining station?
  • old listening post?

If you know the warhammer 40k universe or the game Space Hulk (or FFG's version SpaceHulk:Death Angel)  that would also be a fun idea to toy around with.

Space Hulk: Imagine several dozen ships, partly capital size, some small, some centuries old being welded into a big ugly behemoth floating around in space, jumping through space seemingly aimlessly ( ;) ), filled with myriads of mysterious artifacts and dangerous creatures.

...even tough I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for star wars. I still wanna bait my PC's into an Alien the Movie situation :D

Edited by derroehre, 01 August 2014 - 11:56 AM.

• kaosoe and bradknowles like this

#16 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

I know there are structures akin to space hulks, aka the horde of ships slapped together approach, in Star Wars, and I'm sure some of them have horrible scary things in them. I imagine such a structure would also be a good site for secret genetics labs which could lead to more monsters.

Edited by RogueCorona, 01 August 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#17 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

our group has a base on raxsus prime its awesome its an old abandoned ship and sand crawler abomination that we found our drall outlaw tech/mechanic and duro fringer/trader traded a old hyperdrive a crate of blasters and 4 pit droids to a bunch of jawas for it we just got the power up and running when a group of trando slavers came wanting their 30000 ctedits back for some crates of cz-835s pistols we sold them. what my cunning friends forgot tell none of them had clips in them.
  • kaosoe likes this

#18 greengamer19

greengamer19

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

I really like the ideas shown here! I will most likely use the silhouette setup listed above but I will have to tweak the HP and hardness. I'm running a few tests on the power of a base against various lvl ships to see what a good defense lvl is. Will let you know what I find.

#19 LugWrench

LugWrench

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

My Evil GM Sense is tingling.  I'm seeing the group buying a credit sink base....fixing it up...feeling proud of themselves...running afoul of someone with some real pull (political, underworld, etc.)...and returning to their base after a few hired bounty hunters have razed it to the foundation.

#20 ayures

ayures

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:29 AM

My Evil GM Sense is tingling.  I'm seeing the group buying a credit sink base....fixing it up...feeling proud of themselves...running afoul of someone with some real pull (political, underworld, etc.)...and returning to their base after a few hired bounty hunters have razed it to the foundation.

This is actually brought up in Far Horizons.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS