Photo

Creating a servitor/other tech priest things.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Twillera

Twillera

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

Iv noticed, while looking into tech priests, that while they can make power swords, guns armor, design and builb a building, so on and so on, there are no rules for actually making a servitor/servo skull, or augmenting people/ animals. In the IH, there are rules for buying servitors/skulls/cyber creatures, but no rules for making them. If you can make a power sword, a rare and powerful item, that can take ages to create, with rare material, making a common skull, or servitor should not be that hard, yet I cant find any rules for doing so. Am I missing some rules, or reason why they are not there?

#2 Jargal

Jargal

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

You can just apply Crafting Rules to the Upgrades List from Table 5-5 (p.145 of IH)

• pearldrum1 likes this

#3 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

On a related note, how long should these projects take? For example, what is the difference in time between crafting a Cherubim and Crafting a servo skull?

#4 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

At its most basic creating a servitor is just a case of adding what bionics and enhancements you want to a human and then compeltly mind wiping them (or the other way round of course!).  Given that servitors seem to be pretty ubiquitious in the Imperium I doubt it is a very complex procedure. 

A servitor is generally pretty basic however in what it can accomplish.

Edited by Visitor Q, 27 August 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#5 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

So... how long should these projects take? Is there a general time table in the Inquistor's Handbook I can reference?

#6 Jargal

Jargal

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:48 AM

Table 9-5, p.246.

• pearldrum1 likes this

#7 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

At its most basic creating a servitor is just a case of adding what bionics and enhancements you want to a human and then compeltly mind wiping them (or the other way round of course!).  Given that servitors seem to be pretty ubiquitious in the Imperium I doubt it is a very complex procedure. 

A servitor is generally pretty basic however in what it can accomplish.

Creating a servitor is not the same thing as mind-wiping someone. This is like saying that brainwashing is similar to lobotomy.

Servitors are practically lobotomised, not just mind-wiped. A mind-wiped person with extensive bionics is still functionally human, and have a will of it's own, even if you nerve-staple it and equip it with an explosive collar.

Servitors, however, are relatively crude constructs. Mind-wiping someone is likely a relatively extensive process requiring somewhat esoteric knowledge and equipment. Lobotomising someone and sticking them with crude orders and basic bionics seem to be nearly ubiquitous.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#8 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

On a related note, how long should these projects take? For example, what is the difference in time between crafting a Cherubim and Crafting a servo skull?

Hmm i think servo skull should be quicker: scrape skull clean, remove brain, insert cogitator (or biological matrix wafers, or whatever the mechanicus uses instead of AI) attach sensors, anti gravity suspensors and attachemnts like weapons.

Cherubin are especially vat grown in clone tanks and then outfitted with cybernetics.

• Fgdsfg and pearldrum1 like this

#9 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hmm i think servo skull should be quicker: scrape skull clean, remove brain, insert cogitator (or biological matrix wafers, or whatever the mechanicus uses instead of AI) attach sensors, anti gravity suspensors and attachemnts like weapons.

Cherubin are especially vat grown in clone tanks and then outfitted with cybernetics.

This. Servo Skulls are very common in the Imperium (relatively speaking). Cherubim are extremely rare and often used as status symbols for Inquisitors, high-ranking Ecclesiarchy officials and similar.

Cherubim are, as Graves say, mostly vat-grown and fitted from.. well.. "birth". They are advanced, flying servitors, with animal-like intellect, often controlled via some kind of wireless MIU interface. When the controller dies or disappears, they act lost and afraid.

Servo-Skulls are mono-use, glorified hands with zero intelligence, bar special cases. They can carry a light, hover in place, or carry your paperwork, or announce your presence. Servo-Skulls are lightweight, cheap (relatively speaking), common (again.. relatively), and any good tech-priest worth their salt can probably screw one together with the right equipment.

• pearldrum1 likes this

Real men earn their fun

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#10 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

How about Psyber eagles? Those things must be incredily rare and expensive.

• Fgdsfg likes this

#11 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

How about Psyber eagles? Those things must be incredily rare and expensive.

Probably exceedingly rare, really. It's not only esoteric, but thinking about it, psyber eagles and psychic familiars must be straight-up warptech, on some level or another.

Real men earn their fun

#12 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:38 AM

At its most basic creating a servitor is just a case of adding what bionics and enhancements you want to a human and then compeltly mind wiping them (or the other way round of course!). Given that servitors seem to be pretty ubiquitious in the Imperium I doubt it is a very complex procedure. A servitor is generally pretty basic however in what it can accomplish.

Creating a servitor is not the same thing as mind-wiping someone. This is like saying that brainwashing is similar to lobotomy.Servitors are practically lobotomised, not just mind-wiped. A mind-wiped person with extensive bionics is still functionally human, and have a will of it's own, even if you nerve-staple it and equip it with an explosive collar.Servitors, however, are relatively crude constructs. Mind-wiping someone is likely a relatively extensive process requiring somewhat esoteric knowledge and equipment. Lobotomising someone and sticking them with crude orders and basic bionics seem to be nearly ubiquitous.
My point wasn't about what terminology you choose to use merely that a servitor is just a human without a mind of their own.I would note also that servitors are described as mind-wiped on lexicanium.

Edited by Visitor Q, 01 September 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#13 javcs

javcs

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:20 AM

At its most basic creating a servitor is just a case of adding what bionics and enhancements you want to a human and then compeltly mind wiping them (or the other way round of course!).  Given that servitors seem to be pretty ubiquitious in the Imperium I doubt it is a very complex procedure.  A servitor is generally pretty basic however in what it can accomplish.

Creating a servitor is not the same thing as mind-wiping someone. This is like saying that brainwashing is similar to lobotomy.Servitors are practically lobotomised, not just mind-wiped. A mind-wiped person with extensive bionics is still functionally human, and have a will of it's own, even if you nerve-staple it and equip it with an explosive collar.Servitors, however, are relatively crude constructs. Mind-wiping someone is likely a relatively extensive process requiring somewhat esoteric knowledge and equipment. Lobotomising someone and sticking them with crude orders and basic bionics seem to be nearly ubiquitous.

My point wasn't about what terminology you choose to use merely that a servitor is just a human without a mind of their own.

Not really. A servitor is basically a robot or droid, but instead of using hardware computer control systems, they use wiped and reprogrammed wetware brain and nervous tissue from human and/or animal sources, depending on the kind of servitor they're making, sometimes the wetware is vatgrown, but it is as often taken from the bodies of those beyond medical aid or those being punished. In the latter event, again, depending on what kind of servitor they're making, there will be a varying amount of the subjects' body retained as a framework, and it will be extensively laced with robotic/cybernetic components to fulfill its function.

#14 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

Which is a longer way of saying what I just said.

#15 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

At its most basic creating a servitor is just a case of adding what bionics and enhancements you want to a human and then compeltly mind wiping them (or the other way round of course!). Given that servitors seem to be pretty ubiquitious in the Imperium I doubt it is a very complex procedure. A servitor is generally pretty basic however in what it can accomplish.

My point wasn't about what terminology you choose to use merely that a servitor is just a human without a mind of their own.I would note also that servitors are described as mind-wiped on lexicanium.

My intent wasn't nit-picking and I apologize if it came across as such. I just wanted to point out that Mind-wiping (or "Mind Cleansing") in 40k is something that really exists and is distinctly different from how servitors are created.

Terminology really matters in this case.

At the very least just to avoid confusion.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 01 September 2014 - 06:25 AM.

Real men earn their fun

#16 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

My intent wasn't nit-picking and I apologize if it came across as such. I just wanted to point out that Mind-wiping (or "Mind Cleansing") in 40k is something that really exists and is distinctly different from how servitors are created.

No problem.

I agree there are procedures which involve mind wiping selective memories and potentially replacing them with false ones or potentially an entirely new personality.  These procedures are reasonably rare and obviously do not creare a servitor

However servitors are mind wiped humans as I stated.  The crucial difference is there is no thought to retaining any personality at all.  This is presumably why the process can be ubiquitious because there is little finesse needed.

As javcs has said after the mindwiping process the brain is reprogammed to undertake basic tasks.

It is a servitor.  We all know what it is lol.

#17 javcs

javcs

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

No problem.

I agree there are procedures which involve mind wiping selective memories and potentially replacing them with false ones or potentially an entirely new personality.  These procedures are reasonably rare and obviously do not creare a servitor

However servitors are mind wiped humans as I stated.  The crucial difference is there is no thought to retaining any personality at all.  This is presumably why the process can be ubiquitious because there is little finesse needed.

As javcs has said after the mindwiping process the brain is reprogammed to undertake basic tasks.

It is a servitor.  We all know what it is lol.

A servitor is more artificial construct than human, though. With Mind-wiping (for people) it's more selective memory scrubbing, and they're still a person, albeit a blank slate, or just missing some memories, depending on just how much was wiped. Mindwiping is artificially induced mostly permanent amesia. And sometimes some memories come back, or can be restored.

With Servitorization, it's more blanket purge of everything in the brain and nervous system and lobotomization, often including a number of involuntary reflexes and semi-voluntary controls, and there are basically no biological processes left in the servitor. And it's absolutely permanent. A servitor is no longer sentient or truly thinking.

Also, a servitor can be made using vat grown neural tissues, or from animals of various kinds, depending on its intended function and purpose. Servitors are not exclusively of human-origins

I personally wouldn't refer to a human-derived servitor as a mindwiped human with mechanical bits added on. The difference is one of both scale and kind, in my view.

The mindwiped human still eats food and is a thinking, sentient being, fully capable of self-determination and independent thought and action, and learning freely; whereas the servitor relies on periodically plugging into an external power system, and periodic top-ups of the biomechanical fliuds keeping its remaining fleshy-bits (including brain and remaining parts of the nervous system) functional, and is limited to what was programmed into it, and in the case of animal-derived servitor brains, any instincts that were deemed useful/relevant and kept.

#18 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

http://wh40k.lexican...m/wiki/Servitor

First paragraph. My emphasis.

"While many are vat-grown, often a criminal, particularly one who has offended the Cult Mechanicus, will be sentenced to "Servitude Imperpituis" and will be handed over to the Tech-priests to be mind-wiped, reprogrammed, and cybernetically-enhanced to serve some specific, rudimentary function"

And page 344 of the Dark Heresy 1st edition core rule book under the description of Servitor Drone.  My emphasis

"Servitors are fusions of flesh and machine made from culture grown organs or mind wiped humans..."

Edited by Visitor Q, 01 September 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#19 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

The adeptus astra telepathica will mindwipe somebody by using their psy powers to purge the mind from any traces of personality and leave it complety docile.

I believe the mechanicus method of mindwiping someone is sticking an electro-charged powerdrill up their nose.

• Visitor Q, Simsum, Fgdsfg and 1 other like this

#20 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:28 AM

The adeptus astra telepathica will mindwipe somebody by using their psy powers to purge the mind from any traces of personality and leave it complety docile.

I believe the mechanicus method of mindwiping someone is sticking an electro-charged powerdrill up their nose.

Considering that the Mechanicum uses most of their techniques from what they can glean from the Dark Age of technology this does not bode well for our own future of medical advances.
  • Simsum and pearldrum1 like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS