• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jericbryanlim

jericbryanlim

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

1. Widow's Watch

Response: After you play a unique card from your hand, kneel Widow's Watch or kneel a Learned character to search your deck for a copy of that card, reveal it, and add it to your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

Assuming I just played a unique card from my hand, let's day Hodor and I have Widow's Watch and Old Nan in play. I knelt Old Nan (with Learned crest) to use Widow's Watch to search for a copy of Hodor.

The question: could I still kneel Widow's Watch to use its ability and find another copy of Hodor? or even after I played the duped on him could I still trigger Widow's Watch ability? 

2. Bran Stark

Challenges: Kneel a Direwolf to stand Bran Stark. Then, Bran Stark gains (choose 1): a [Military] icon, stealth, or deadly until the end of the phase.

Old Nan

Any Phase: Kneel Old Nan to choose a character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains or loses a Trait of your choice.

Say I kneel Old Nan to give Bran Stark the Direwolf trait.

The question: Could I kneel Bran to trigger his own ability?

Thank you guys for answering my questions :D

Edited by jericbryanlim, 27 July 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#2 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

1. The ruling, "one response (on a card in play) per trigger" means that you can trigger widow's watch only once for each unique card being played from your hand, regardless of which way you choose to pay for it. 

Secondly, a duplicate is not unique (and can be discarded by Wintertime marauders), even if the card itself was unique. Playing a duplicate will not allow you to tigger Widow's Watch.

2. No. You cannot anticipate a cost being payed in order for the effect to be successful - in order to trigger Bran (under the new entry 3.6) you have to anticipate a successful resolution - which means you can only kneel a direwolf to stand Bran if he is currently kneeling (not if he would be by the end of the cost being paid).

Edited by -Istaril, 27 July 2014 - 01:02 PM.

• Devon Greatwolf likes this

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

2. No. You cannot anticipate a cost being payed in order for the effect to be successful - in order to trigger Bran (under the new entry 3.6) you have to anticipate a successful resolution - which means you can only kneel a direwolf to stand Bran if he is currently kneeling (not if he would be by the end of the cost being paid).

To be a little more precise, you have to anticipate a successful resolution based on the game state as it exists before the cost is paid

-Istaril is correct, but I want to make sure no one gets confused, thinking, "But I do anticipate a successful resolution because he will be kneeling by then, even if he's not kneeling now."

• Devon Greatwolf likes this

#4 jericbryanlim

jericbryanlim

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

1. The ruling, "one response (on a card in play) per trigger" means that you can trigger widow's watch only once for each unique card being played from your hand, regardless of which way you choose to pay for it. 

Secondly, a duplicate is not unique (and can be discarded by Wintertime marauders), even if the card itself was unique. Playing a duplicate will not allow you to tigger Widow's Watch.

Ok! Thank you guys, just some additional follow-up questions:

1. In this case, I could still definitely find another copy of the unique card when i trigger Rickon right?

And with the case of the "one response per trigger", assuming I play a unique card and used Old Nan to search for a copy of that card (let's say the first card is Hodor), then I marshalled a new unique card (Robb), I could still trigger Widow's Watch to search for Robb. Is it legal now in this scenario?

And if it that is a yes, then can i assume that i have the opportunity to trigger Widow's Watch whenever I play a unique card as long I have enough to pay for its cost (enough Learned char to kneel)?

2. Can I kneel 2 Direwolves to say give Bran stealth and deadly? 

Is this a legal move? or will it be just one of them can trigger since Bran will then be standing? If that is the case, when he is kneeling again, I could trigger Bran's ability again with the other Direwolf?

Thank you again! :D

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

1. Yes. "One response per trigger" means "once each time the conditions are met." You can only trigger once for Hodor, but you can also trigger once for Robb, Bran, Arya, etc. - assuming you can pay the cost of the effect.

When you use Rickon's "copy" ability, you are triggering Rickon, not triggering the original effect a second time. So using Rickon to copy a Response does not violate the "one response per trigger" rule.

2. Well, what are you thinking of when you ask "can I kneel 2 Direwolves"? You cannot, for example, decide to pay double the cost to get double the effect. You have to play the card as written, which means you kneel 1 dire wolf to stand and gain a keyword/icon. So no, you cannot kneel two dire wolves at a once.

But you CAN trigger the effect twice, or as many times as you want, assuming you meet all the various play restrictions and can pay the cost. So while you cannot kneel 2 dire wolves at once, stand Bran and have him gain stealth and deadly at the same time, you can kneel 1 dire wolf, stand Bran, have him gain stealth, then kneel him again, kneel a second dire wilt, stand Bran a second time, and have him gain Deadly.

So you can only pay the cost, as written, one time for one effect each time you trigger the ability, but you can trigger the ability multiple, independent times.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS