out

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ayleron

Ayleron

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

I have found that when I run Biggs, my opponent will do all they can to weasel out of his ability. Being a somewhat new player I feel like they know how to avoid his ability better than I can fly it. However if I field a Luke Skywalker, or especially if I throw down Wedge, they are completely focused on killing them instead that it's like getting an extra ability on top of Biggs focus.

#2 Ayleron

Ayleron

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Sorry about the topic my phone to
Decided to post the thread before I finished writing "out-biggs-ed"

#3 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

More information needed here. What other ships are you running with Biggs and how are they managing to weasel out?

• Dieter122 likes this

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#4 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

It is interesting that you can often get a "Biggs Effect" without needing to actually run him.  You just need a ship that you're opponent, for whatever reason, decides needs to die and focuses all of their effort there.  Now at 29 points Wedge may be an expensive "Biggs substitute" but he does have the normal advantages including more offense.

#5 Ayleron

Ayleron

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

Yeah sorry this is not at all how I wanted the topic to be started out. Hurray spastic cell-phones! Like you said by fielding something that is a more "juicy" or more threatening target my opponent will go for that. I have been running wedge with R2-D2, a blue squadron b-wing, a red squadron x-wing, and then a green squadron flanker with outmaneuver deployed in the opposite corner from my main force.  I have been surprised how focused my opponents are on killing Wedge, and how much more effective that bloodlust has been in keeping the opponents occupied.  

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or anything similar...

#6 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

Very few opponents will spread the "love" around by taking individual targets. Most will assess your force and attempt to take out the biggest threats first. I wouldn't consider them to be always picking on Biggs or Luke or Wedge, but just taking out the target that poses the most threat. It's clear they know what to expect from your squad, so it'll be hard to surprise them with something new. Try changing your list and dropping the named pilot in favour of more hitting power from everyone. Add some missiles and torpedoes that can deal damage to the unwary. A B-Wing with a Heavy Laser Cannon or Ion Cannon can be very annoying. And when you hit them with the Ion Cannon, you know exactly where they're going to be next turn so you can focus your whole squad on the hapless target.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#7 AndOne

AndOne

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

One of my favorite things to do is to play ships that my opponent cannot afford to let live.
The best of these is probably Luke with R2-D2. He requires a lot of focused fire to take down. And a lot of the time, in the late game, my opponents just won't have enough firepower left to kill him.

A recent list I just posted was Wedge, Luke, and Keyan. The enemy can't afford to let Luke live, but if they target him then they are letting Wedge and Keyan shred a ship or two every turn...pretty brutal.

A similar concept I'm working on right now is a Corran build with super defensive friends. If they target Corran, it's their loss because he's just going to bug out next turn (since he can't attack). Probably want like and another really Tammy guy. Perhaps that new A-Wing who can get four evade dice. We'll see.

#8 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

More information needed here. What other ships are you running with Biggs and how are they managing to weasel out?

Weasel out bears the implication of cheating, but I'd assume it's positioning yourself so that Biggs is out of arc but his protectee is, or blocking him out of R1.

However, if they only manage that half the time, Biggs is doing his job. The trick with Biggs is to share fire with other ships, preventing them from being focused down. If Biggs gets focused he's much less effective.

#9 Ayleron

Ayleron

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, when I say "weasel out" I mean dance around outside  range 3 of Biggs, but in range 3 of anOther ship. Basically I mean out fly me.  However they are more willing to take a more risky position on the board to fire on Wedge or Luke.

#10 pbpancho

pbpancho

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Sure, but the point of Biggs is to keep fire off of heavy hitters like Wedge.  If you don't bring Biggs, you're going to lose Wedge 1st or 2nd round, which represents a poor return on your investment.  It's not like good players usually fire one attack at each ship.

#11 Radarman5

Radarman5

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Howlrunner might be the best Biggs In the game. You can build your squads to force your opponent to make hard choices, and offer up specific threats in order to take the heat off other units in your squad. So there are ways to get the same results as Biggs' ability without actually using him.
5 TIE Fighters, 4 TIE Bombers, 4 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 1 Firespray
2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wing, 4 X-Wings, 1Y-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS