Three Trials experiences

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

I had Splorfindel once, but the veterinarian gave me a shot and it went away after a few days. It hurt like hell every time I peed in the woods, though.

• jormungandr, Narsil0420, Raven1015 and 3 others like this

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#42 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

TACTIGORN

• Glaurung and danpoage like this

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#43 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:29 AM

TACTIGORN

Sounds good!

• jormungandr likes this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#44 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:36 AM

Loppin and Spippin.

• jormungandr likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#45 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

I always thought Tactgolas, Leadoromir & Learagorn were pretty lolworthy names, haven't seen them used around here though.

Edited by Djenni, 22 August 2014 - 07:15 AM.

• jormungandr likes this

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#46 jormungandr

jormungandr

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

You hear that low hum? That's our fine J.R.R. spinnin' around in his grave. 3019 RPM

• danpoage likes this

#47 jormungandr

jormungandr

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

I had Splorfindel once, but the veterinarian gave me a shot and it went away after a few days. It hurt like hell every time I peed in the woods, though.

I found my splorfindel much more bear.able when i bought a saddle for that galloping steed of his.

#48 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Just finished the quest playing two-handed after 3 losses with solo decks. Took me about 10 turns and almost reached max threat, but Gandalf saved me once again. Decks were Beregond/Eowyn/Idraen and mono lore Bifur/Haldir/Faramir with a splash of tactics to turn Faramir to a secondary defender, which didn't pan out in play. Beregond was buffed with a shiny shield, x2 UC and x2 of the new green silvan meals that saved his life. I experimented with Gothlaf, Warden of Arnor and Haldir for the first time, and I found them all up to notch. Warden with Asfaloth seems like it would trivialise all those pesky 3 point locations.

Except for a buffed up Haldir, the decks lacked attacking power, so I had to defend 6 attacks in stage three. However, my questing power allowed me to finish the game next turn. Looking back, mono lore wasn't the best choice for this quest (so few enemies that traps are near useless) but I like rangers so there :P

Difficult, unpredictable and fun. Two thubs up!

I am really curious how you guys managed to beat it solo, it seems really hard if you get unlucky with barrows/guardians...Getting the 5 attack one ruins all but the best opening hands. If someone could post a deck I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by FetaCheese, 23 August 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#49 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

I am really curious how you guys managed to beat it solo, it seems really hard if you get unlucky with barrows/guardians...Getting the 5 attack one ruins all but the best opening hands. If someone could post a deck I'd really appreciate it.

This is the deck I used.

http://community.fan...indel-beregond/

There are 2 versions of it one with allies and the 2nd without.

I found Beregond to be essential for the scenario if your not going to try and use chump blockers to win You can only hope he gets Gondorian Shield opening hand or that you don't get the 5 attack Guardian. Ways to ready him are also essential. In the last stage I'll just take 1 Guardian at a time before traveling to the last location. Overall this is an awesome scenario, and I always felt like I was right on the edge of losing right up to the very last encounter card drawn.
  • FetaCheese likes this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#50 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I've never played a deck with so few allies before, so it will be very interesting indeed.

I like the quest too. Pretty hard but not unfairly so (*cough* into Ithilien *cough*). My lore deck clocked at 49 threat before the timely intervention of Gandalf and won next turn. :D

By the way what do you think of Idraen so far? I personally like her a lot and she combos well with Glori. Her trigger also activates almost every turn in multiplayer games.

Edited by FetaCheese, 23 August 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#51 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

My thoughts on here changed dramatically. At first I did not like her, but then i figured out how to play her in deck without allies, which is something i always wanted to do. So, i enjoyed that very much, although I do feel she is kind of stuck to Glorfindel and have had a hard time putting her into decks without him.

Here is the thread when she was first released, cool to read about peoples reactions and it also follows the evolution of my thoughts on her.

http://community.fan...-hero-is/page-5

There is also a a lot of discussion at Tales from the Cards on her if your interested.
  • Narsil0420 and FetaCheese like this

#52 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Tracker - Do you think Idraen and Glory can pair up for a decent Spirit secrecy deck?  I put together a list that might perform okay against the easier quests, but would just get blown apart by the harder challenges such as Three Trials.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#53 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

Don't remember my deck exactly. but the cards I most used where more or less (I forgett some)

Heroes Glorfindel, Idraen, Beregond

Allies: Arwen (3), Stargazer (2) (so I could bring the attachments I need more quickly), Defender of Rammas (3), Vassal of the Windlord (3), Gandalf (3) 

Attachments: Citadel Plate (2), Dagger of the westernesse (3) (very usefull), Gondorian shield (3), Rivendell Blade (2), Light of Valinor (3), Thrors Key (3), Unexpected Courage (1) 

Events : Feint (2), Elronds Council (3), Test of will (2), Hasty Stroke (2), Lay 0f Nimrodel (2), Out of sight (2) (for the third stage where you should have enough resources, Glorfindel had some 15 resources when finished), Behind strong walls (3)

The attempt I won the enemies and borrows came the worst combination possible, but I had a good first hand draw (thought not LoV) and started building my deck carefully in order not to lose anything while playing, like allies discarded by time effects on enemy cards etc 

Edited by Nickpes, 23 August 2014 - 11:27 PM.

• FetaCheese likes this

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#54 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:48 AM

My deck was Hirluin the Fair, Theodred and Grima. 

Just a generic outlands set + the tools to make it out as fast as humanly possible.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#55 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:56 AM

Tracker - Do you think Idraen and Glory can pair up for a decent Spirit secrecy deck? I put together a list that might perform okay against the easier quests, but would just get blown apart by the harder challenges such as Three Trials.

It's possible. Idraen would probably have to turn into the main defender. Arwen would have to get out soon, and Blood of numenor would help her later.

But here are the main problems I see without having another dedicated defender.

This is not the problem. The nice thing about her working with Glory is that they can both quest and l if there is location leaving play she and will ready, and Glory usually will have LoV. Then they can attack for 6. It's nice to get a readying effect on Idraen incase a location does not leave play.

Now, without a 3rd hero as defender. You can't rely on Idraen readying after questing to defend so at least 1 UC is going to be needed to make sure she can defend. This would normally be the only insurance she would need to attack and quest every round, but now she will need an additional UC or other readying card to insure she will then attack. If you get stuck engaged with 2 enemies it will be tough to get out of, since glory has no way to boost his attack above 3, so he is relying on idraen or other allies to finish of most enemies.

In the early game LoV will be even more critical since it may not be wise to quest with Idraen in case she has to defend a low threat enemy. If she does not quest and glory does not have LoV yet he will need to exhaust to quest, and if you get engaged your probably done for. Since, she will be defending, and if he can not attack, it's only going to get worse next round.

Also, idraen can be turned into a solid defender, but it will take a bit of time. Blood of Numenor will help, but it takes resources to function, which will put more strain on Glory to pay for most things, so a few Resourceful on him will be necessary early.

So, you could probably make it through some of the easier quests, but I foresee a bumpy ride with a deck feeling like it's missing a wheel, and in my mind that missing wheel is a strong tactics defender.

But give it a try I'd like to hear how it goes. I'm just speculating here. They might work better then I think in actual game play

On another note Glorfindel And Haldir have some real potential for 2 hero secrecy, but song of battle and weapon attachments are critical early on.

Edited by Tracker1, 24 August 2014 - 05:19 AM.

#56 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

My conclusions are much the same as yours. I think it needs to have a decent number of chump blockers for when the enemies begin to engage. A Watchful Peace may also be very useful. I'll give it a try against Tharbad. If it can't do well there then it won't stand a chance against the rest of Isengard.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#57 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

You could use out of sight in such a deck with the secrecy it has too. But it needs time to build a deck that can absorb damage, make damage and quest too, using spirit only. It should be very interesting to try it for the fun of it. Also against the shadow could be used to defend with glorfindel

Edited by Nickpes, 25 August 2014 - 01:50 AM.

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#58 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

I put together a list and ran off a couple of games against Passage through Mirkwood. Lost the first horribly as the first three cards were Beastmaster, Beastmaster, Hummerhorns followed by a bunch of treacheries including two Caught in a Web. I had a pair of Power of Orthanc in the deck but didn't see them and without any locations ...

The second game was more representative I think, but I did get Beorn's Path for 3B which made it much easier. Certainly not a tier 1 deck, but not as bad as I had feared.

#59 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Glaurung my man, will you have some videos on these new quests?  Would be very cool to see.  

• FetaCheese likes this

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#60 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Glaurung my man, will you have some videos on these new quests?  Would be very cool to see.

Sure I ready to do videos and even start yesterday but… my camera have a problem with a sound delayed… I really not happy about it. Now I try fix it
  • jormungandr and FetaCheese like this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS