Three Trials experiences

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Just pulled off a win on my second try, took 16 rounds and was at 44 threat final score 184 minus victory points. Thought I was a goner, was at threat 49 when ancient mathom pulled 2 elrond counsels. Very close, sweatin bullets.

I used Idrean, Glorfindel spirit and Beregond. I only and 3 copies of arwen in the deck in the deck for allies. The rest was 0 and 1 cost cards except for 3 UC. My whole strategy was to pile up resources on Beregond with Blood of Gondor and Idrean with Gondorian Fire. i was able to have Idrean and Glorfindel take out 1 guardian per round before traveling to the final location. But even If i did have to face the dread 6 attacks, I had three feint in and a number of readying effects for Beregond. The main concern was location lock. I did not have a ton of willpower. And got lucky to draw Lay of Nimrodel for the final push and used Idrean's heap of resources to blast through the last location for the win.

i really have no Idea how consistent this deck will be, but I cant't believe it pulled it off. Im ready to try again with Strength of Will for a bit more location control. We'll see if it was a fluke or if I'm on to something.
  • PsychoRocka likes this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#22 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

I lost this afternoon using my superhero deck and randomly choosing the stages. This is a very good test for the solo player though there is a bit of a formula. Really want to see how the dwarves handle it.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#23 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Okay, tried again and it was a location lock loss, but the following was another win.

For the win in the end Beregond defended all 6 attacks with 1 UC, 1 Miruvor, 1 White council ready, and 2 feint, and 1 hasty stroke prevented another attack. The following round Idraen quested for 16 with Lay of Nimrodel, she had 14 resources in her pool, and with glorfindel they had 19 willpower and just cleared the final location by 1 with with 6 threat in the staging area and 12 progress to put down. Unfortunately, we lost Arwen the round before. It took 15 rounds to complete again with a score of 181. Not sure this deck will be able to do better than that.

Cool quest. There is a bit of a code to crack like Bullroarer Took said. So far I have only done stage 2 with intuition, perseverance and strength sequence. Randomly selecting the sequence will add an even greater challenge I believe.

#24 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

out of curiosity how many times have you guys been on the trial of intuition and perseverance (aka the two not required to actually kill the guardian) where you HAVE killed the guardian then the following turn reveal the treachery that puts an out of play guardian back in play? happened both games for me and was definitely one of those "you've got to be kidding me" moments.

I need to go back at it this week with some different decks since i feel like Elrohir/Elladan is the premier deck for this quest and try some other strategies for fun.  In so far as creativeness goes this has go to be near the top if not the pinnacle of FFG's quest design.

• DC06675 likes this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#25 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

out of curiosity how many times have you guys been on the trial of intuition and perseverance (aka the two not required to actually kill the guardian) where you HAVE killed the guardian then the following turn reveal the treachery that puts an out of play guardian back in play? happened both games for me and was definitely one of those "you've got to be kidding me" moments.

I need to go back at it this week with some different decks since i feel like Elrohir/Elladan is the premier deck for this quest and try some other strategies for fun.  In so far as creativeness goes this has go to be near the top if not the pinnacle of FFG's quest design.

Mate, Elrohir and Elladan are the premier deck for every quest :D ;)

Yeah from everything I've read almost everyone has said it is instantly one of their favorite quests and one of the best designed quests to date. So friggin excited to smash some guardian face

Edited by PsychoRocka, 27 July 2014 - 10:26 PM.

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#26 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

Very cool quest, probably my favorite since The Steward's Fear.  We played 2-player twice.  Played blind the first time and lost, shifted the decks around and won on the second try.  

Winning decks were Glorfindel(Sp)/Beorn/Beregond with heavy attachments and defense allies, paired with Aragorn(Lo)/Balin/Sam with global +willpower effects and a criminal amount of card draw and resource gain.  Trial of Strength first since we were so combat ready right out of the gate (Glorfindel with a Rivendell Blade, Beorn, Beregond with his shield and spear).  Trial of Perseverance after, then Intuition.  Had some good luck with Barrow+Guardian pairings (Stone Barrow + Boar's Guardian is the luckiest combination here).  

All the Guardians ended up engaged with my deck, the Beorn deck on stage 3.  Went ahead and suffered 5 attacks on the seventh round as soon as stage 3 was revealed (3 attacks from travel, minus one in the Combat phase due to Feint), then took out the Raven's Guardian in retaliation.  They wiped out all my allies and Beorn had 9 damage on him, but we very easily quested to victory on round 8.  Fun quest.

Edited by GrandSpleen, 23 August 2014 - 06:23 PM.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#27 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Try to put Stewart of Gondor and Gondorian shield on Elrohir (suppose you use Elladan also), haven't playedt his quest yet but have tried it on others and works fine. Not thematic offcourse  :P

• PsychoRocka likes this

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#28 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Try to put Stewart of Gondor and Gondorian shield on Elrohir (suppose you use Elladan also), haven't playedt his quest yet but have tried it on others and works fine. Not thematic offcourse  :P

Try him with steward and shield as well as 1/2 dundedain warnings, elven mail and Arwens buff. Nothing gets through. Played the lonely mountain the other night and Elrohir defended every attack Smaug made in my playthrough and only ever took 1 damage.
  • Nickpes likes this

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#29 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

It's happened in 3 of my 4 games, I was lucky to have test of will to stop it once. But the first time i saw the Treachery I was crushed and all sense of accomplishment for defeating the guardian in stage 1 intuition trial was sapped, just when I thought I could relax a bit I got to deal it again the trial was not over yet.

Edited by Tracker1, 28 July 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#30 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

Eleanor for multiplayer confirmed.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#31 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

Well Guardians are indestructible in the trial of perserverance so if you do that trial after another stage and have a second guardian you  already beat in another trial in the victory display it would come back and you'd be facing two!

#32 DC06675

DC06675

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Not once. I played with Eleanor! :lol: But that would suck if it got replaced with the same card. lol 

#33 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

This scenario may be one of the best designed yet. I don't see any lope hole in it that makes easy and simplified, or anything that makes it so challenging that there is not much chance for success.

I've only played it solo now numerous times, and it's hard, period! Every time I have won it's taken between 14 to 16 rounds, and even when/ / if I make it that far things can go drastically wrong. Each card off the encounter deck, every shadow revealed can ruin well laid plans.

The developers did a great job! Thematically the trials are awesome and the quest design fits it perfectly with the story line. There are so many meaningful decisions to make, mixed with the randomness of the barrows locations and Guardians keeping things unpredictable, it all adds up to a very tense and fun experience where I feel like I'm battling tooth and nail to survive. It's such a satisfactory feeling to win that type of game.

I'm really getting into the story of the ring-maker cycle, and it's cool to feel like I'm actually playing out parts of the story. The scenarios and stories are fitting together perfectly. Really like the direction things are headed. It's definetly shaping up to be one of the best cycles yet.

Edited by Tracker1, 29 July 2014 - 04:27 AM.

• Catastrophic09 and danpoage like this

#34 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

This might be one of the best packs we've ever been sold when you consider how good the quest is with the player cards.
  • Raven1015 likes this
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#35 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

yeah some dude was bitching about the Khaz cycle having the best cards and quests and then BANG... player card / quest gold in the new pack!!
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#36 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

After having five defeats, yesterday I managed to win the quest. I was always using Glorfidnel, Idraen and Beregond, but i finally came with the opinion that in the way I was playing, I should include Thrors Key on my deck (i kept loosing on third stage out of threat cause of the location that adds +1 on each forest on staging area). The first play I included it , I won. It took many round (23) mainly because on the stage 2 quest that has the key shuffled on the 10 last cards, it came to be the last card while I had to give two shadows. Thus I gave this as first shadow but had to reshuffle the whole discarded encounter deck in order to give the second. Then the key should be shuffled (as it has as a shadow) with the WHOLE encounter deck .... it took a while for it to appear again  :P

Both Dunland trap and three trials where very unusuall quests which I really enjoyed 

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#37 jormungandr

jormungandr

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

This is indeed a very lovely quest. After four times beat it solo with a Splorfindel, Denethor, Loragorn Deck with heavy encounterdeck manipulation and readying effects. It goes in my list of favourite playtest quests. The guys 'n gals at FFG are on a winning streak. Just got my NM hobbit decks this afternoon. There goes the weekend :)

#38 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

Splorfindel, 

That was the first time I have read this particular portmanteau.  Usually I see 'Spirfindel,' and for just a second I thought you were combining SPirit + LORe and coming up with a 5 threat hero who can heal for the cost of 1 resource.

• jormungandr likes this

#39 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Damn, now I wish I could change my username to Splorfindel. It sounds hilarious.

• jormungandr likes this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#40 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

He also does a good amount of 'splorin locations on his horse, so it kind of fits.

Edited by GrandSpleen, 21 August 2014 - 11:00 PM.

• jormungandr likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS