Three Trials experiences

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Omg, in solo it is really hard. Like dol guldur nightmare solo.

After 10 times i finally have won.

With the monosphere leadership Aragorn · Imrahil · Sam

How about you?

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#2 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

Lost my first and won my next two. I think it's about a 5 as advertised.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#3 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

In solo? Which deck? I dont believe it ^^.

Are you sure? Last round you must resolve 6 attacks from guardians (firsts three attacks by traveling, and the others by normal combat phase)...and you must know the cancel effects (in 6 times, you probably must repeat another immediate attack, sure!), how do you block this twister?

Edited by Mndela, 26 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#4 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Believe it. My deck is set up to put 3 Unexpected Courages on Aragorn along with Stewart of Gondor, Gondorian Shield & Burning Brand. Meanwhile Boromir has a shield of his own, a Song of Wisdom and a Burning Brand. Arwen standing by to pump Aragorn if he needs it.

It's an attachment deck that uses multiple Masters of the Forge on the early turns to get these out. As long as I get to pick the order of my trials it's not a problem.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#5 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

In solo? Which deck? I dont believe it ^^.

Are you sure? Last round you must resolve 6 attacks from guardians (firsts three attacks by traveling, and the others by normal combat phase)...and you must know the cancel effects (in 6 times, you probably must repeat another immediate attack, sure!), how do you block this twister?

you don't have to travel...

#6 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

You can't win till hallowed circle is explored however so you have to travel at some point... It's also immune to player effects so can't be explored in the staging area

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#7 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

You can't win till hallowed circle is explored however so you have to travel at some point... It's also immune to player effects so can't be explored in the staging area

yes, i know, but Mndela said you have to face 6 attacks, I'm suggesting you don't.

Kill all the Guardians first, then travel, so it's Forced effect never triggers.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#8 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

Very true, also a very good plan!!
It also has pretty low threat so wouldn't do too much damage staying in staging for a while

Edited by PsychoRocka, 27 July 2014 - 01:39 AM.

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#9 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

In solo, is hard to kill all enemies before travelling. And the most correct is to kill one or two at least the first round they are in play. If not, you will have to defend 6 times anyway.

#10 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

Hold some sneaky Gandalfs, will'ya?

Or have a monotactics guy prepare thicket of spears :D

• PsychoRocka likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#11 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

I'll be using a combination of Mega defender Elrohir buffed with attachments and wizards voice/feint to hold them off on stage 3

Edited by PsychoRocka, 27 July 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#12 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

In solo, is hard to kill all enemies before travelling. And the most correct is to kill one or two at least the first round they are in play. If not, you will have to defend 6 times anyway.

i don't play solo, but i don't see why you can't just kill them first, then travel - it certainly seems like it would help you in this case.

#13 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

In solo it is too hard to quest, defend three guardians attack, and kill one of them. Even if you reach to kill one, you can't keep alive more than 2 rounds.

The best way in solo is to travel (and block guardians 3 times) and return to defend the 3 times in combat phase. After, the next round make a good quest phase and try to explore the location to win the game.

#14 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

It isn't to hard, and you can kill them if you like. Remember if you have a leadership splash you do not even need to quest with "Ever Onward". Very underrated card but in quest where there is a lot to do at once, it cna make a huge difference. Though there are so many ways to quest AND fight in the same turn... .. .
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#15 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Gondorian Shield Boromir can solve all your defending problems.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#16 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

It isn't to hard, and you can kill them if you like. Remember if you have a leadership splash you do not even need to quest with "Ever Onward". Very underrated card but in quest where there is a lot to do at once, it cna make a huge difference. Though there are so many ways to quest AND fight in the same turn... .. .

Yeah, good idea, Ever Onward ^^. I haven't never seen it in play, first time i notice it usefull.

#17 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

i've played it twice two player and won both times.  Really the key was in both instances one player had a beefed up Elrohir which was really able to easily handle every attack by the guardians.  Really fun quest although love the different mechanics of the trials and obtaining the keys.  The second match we did have a player threat out mostly due to the first barrow being the one which raises your threat by the guardians threat level combined with the raven guardian who took a bit longer to kill as we had to get set up and he was the first one out.  Despite the two victories I can see this quest as being extremely challenging if your not bringing a hero such as Elrohir or Boromir to the table who can defend with impunity

• PsychoRocka likes this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#18 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

In multiplayer is more easy than solo. Solo is a really challenge, like DolGuldur

#19 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Just tried with Irdraen, Beravor and Glorfindel Spirit. Survived until the 3rd stage. i did not have enough power to take out the Guardians, and did not have enough readying deal with the after traveling six attacks. It was close, but things fell apart with the combined effect of time counters going off. I'm surprised I made it that far. Looks like tactics Boromir is going to be one of the answers to this. Interesting and I like it so far, but it's looking like there is going to be one main strategy for the solo player to be successful on this, but I'm going to continue to throw different decks at it before I call on the Captain of Gondor for help.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#20 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Oh yeah, very hard solo! It's a really nice challenge!

I've played it six times already and haven't won. I tend to try a few times with a deck before I give up though.

I got to one game where i was ONE WILLPOWER AWAY FROM WINNING! and then the second round of 3 guardians attacked and took me out. That was one of the most tense games I've ever played. Gondor deck probably did the best overall. I think that it's really a combat focused deck that will work but you do have to be able to get that key from the location on one stage... 

This is definitely getting up there with one of the best quests ever released for the game IMO, and I haven't even played it multiplayer yet!

• PsychoRocka likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS