Shadow of Mordor: Celebrimbor is the wraith in the game

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 DC06675

DC06675

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

For those interested in the game, a new preview showed that Celebrimbor is the wraith that enters the main character and Gollum will be along with you to assist you in various ways.

So, do you guys think this is a blight on Tolkien's works, or do you like the way the storyline is going? 

http://www.ign.com/a...hadow-of-mordor

Edited by DC06675, 25 July 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

i thought this was about the card game them :D

and yes, i do! but then again this game seems to have thrown it out of the window a long time ago

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Well, I'm glad that they are bringing in Celebrimbor to provide *some* kind of lore explanation for this wraith thing that seemed so dubious and antithetical to Tolkien. My position is pretty much the same: I don't have much faith in the lore aspect, although I'll still probably play it. I found that War in the North included a TON of lore stuff for anyone looking for a Middle-earth video game, even though the gameplay is a bit repetitive.

Edited by Raven1015, 25 July 2014 - 03:35 PM.

• Dain Ironfoot and DC06675 like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#4 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

computer games suck ass.
  • richsabre and Catastrophic09 like this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#5 DC06675

DC06675

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Well, I'm glad that they are bringing in Celebrimbor to provide *some* kind of lore explanation for this wraith thing that seemed so dubious and antithetical to Tolkien. My position is pretty much the same: I don't have much faith in the lore aspect, although I'll still probably play it. I found that War in the North included a TON of lore stuff for anyone looking for a Middle-earth video game, even though the gameplay is a bit repetitive.

I enjoyed War in the North. Ultimately I will likely play it if it is good, and overlook the lore issues. As long as Arwen doesn't take the place of someone and somehow save the day in this too I will be ok. 

#6 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

For those interested in the game, a new preview showed that Celebrimbor is the wraith that enters the main character and Gollum will be along with you to assist you in various ways.

So, do you guys think this is a blight on Tolkien's works, or do you like the way the storyline is going? 

http://www.ign.com/a...hadow-of-mordor

Wow, really wasn't impressed when I read that Celebrimbor is the wraith. Then I watched the video...

Which has (even if slightly non-canonical) a clip and flashback of Celebrimbor forging the rings upon Annatars request and even shows him fighting Sauron at the end.... that clip was epic. First ever sort of actual clip or video (even if just in a game) that involves characters and events that happened in the first age, really looking forward to this game now!!

• DC06675 likes this

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#7 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

The clip does look really nice, and it's cool to see that moment.

But how can I not dismiss this game? Seriously. So the Ranger is killed and reanimated by the spirit of Celebrimbor? Is that right? I can't get behind that! :wacko:

Now, I have a hard time with adaptations (with several exceptions like the LOTR movies, the LOTRO computer game, obviously this game, and some others), but crap like this and Guardians of Middle-earth and The Hobbit films are just so contrary to the works. The ones I do like maintain a certain level of consistency and 'feel' of the books, but many are either a tad too far in the wrong direction or a full 180.

So, I don't mean to poopoo on this thread and I do hope I can lighten up. :)

• richsabre, PsychoRocka and DC06675 like this

#8 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

Man I definitely agree and as sub par as it is honestly my excitement is purely just from getting to see first age characters/events portrayed visually. 100% agree about how its brutally savaging the lore and canon works.

Pretty awful but I doubt that anyone is going to do some amazing perfectly thematic and canonical game any time soon (LOTRO seems to be doing this in its own way) so this game is all we are getting.

• shipwreck likes this

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#9 Vendictar

Vendictar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

computer games suck ass.

You sound like my grandma. "Stop playing those Computer games on your Nintendo!" 

• richsabre and Olorin93 like this

#10 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

But how can I not dismiss this game? Seriously. So the Ranger is killed and reanimated by the spirit of Celebrimbor? Is that right? I can't get behind that! :wacko:

Now, I have a hard time with adaptations (with several exceptions like the LOTR movies, the LOTRO computer game, obviously this game, and some others), but crap like this and Guardians of Middle-earth and The Hobbit films are just so contrary to the works. The ones I do like maintain a certain level of consistency and 'feel' of the books, but many are either a tad too far in the wrong direction or a full 180.

this is the best ME game to come out, ever, hands down, no debate!

• shipwreck likes this

#11 Epi Lepi

Epi Lepi

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Ringwraiths, barrow wights, the dead army, the dead marshes, all okay. This is where you draw the line?

LotR fans are really the worst about things that "violate the canon." Chill out.

• Vendictar likes this

#12 Mogloth

Mogloth

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Ringwraiths, barrow wights, the dead army, the dead marshes, all okay. This is where you draw the line?

LotR fans are really the worst about things that "violate the canon." Chill out.

Not really. Have you met comic book fans? Holy cow. Try tweaking someone's costume.
  • Vendictar and DC06675 like this

I believe Socrates said it best when he said, "I drank what?".

#13 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Celebrimbor looks handsome.

• Epi Lepi likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#14 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Ring-wraiths and Barrow-wights (or the Army of the Dead) are Men infected with some kind of enchantment. The Dead Marshes are also some kind of evil magic, as the 'ghosts' in the movies aren't mentioned in the book; there are just dead faces that may or may not be material.

Elves are bound to Middle-earth both physically and spiritually and their spirits never leave their bodies (to my knowledge). So the idea of an 'Elf ghost' doesn't work. 

*pushes up glasses* Now why don't you, chill out?

#15 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

I posted on another forum that I'm past getting upset over what film- and game designers do with Middle-Earth. Arda is out of Tolkien's hands; it's a phenomenon, and now others are adding to his creation.

Do I, from a lore perspective, absolutely despise Talion acquiring "wraith-powers" and jumping around beams and ropes like freakin Ezio Auditore? Yes.

Is seeing Celebrimbor in a game unexpected but absolutely badass and fantastic? YES.

I am now convinced that this is at least something more than a cash-grab LotR mod for Assassin's Creed. So I'll play and most likely enjoy the game, but I'll not call it canon.

/end rant

Edit: I'm sorry guys; I really want to get my hands on The Three Trials.

Edited by Olorin93, 28 July 2014 - 01:35 PM.

• richsabre likes this

#16 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

we should start a lore topic...then we can unleash our withheld frustration at the pack delay arguing this out with each other :D (/ducks and runs away...)

• Olorin93 likes this

#17 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

I recognize that I'm uptight about all this stuff, and I'm sure Shadow of Mordor will be fun to play. I also recognize that it's all about subjective interpretation.

But I get cheesed when I see stuff that's so not Tolkien getting slapped into Middle-earth stuff. I start to think that they're using the license for the 'star power', not to make something that further explores or parallels what Tolkien started.

#18 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

its also been a changing thing with me... i used to get really irritated with the film adaption, even just a few years ago... now i enjoy watching it for what it is, an adaption that was changed in places to get more people to watch it...

the way i look at it is, Tolkien wrote a masterpiece, created a world that has not even been rivalled...but it was created in a different century...a different age almost... there are going to be few things that can truly stay close to the lore and keep the attention of the average view/reader/gamer today... (and i do mean average... im not talking about anyone on this forum)

so, i can tolerate the things that break the lore of Tolkien, even if i tolerate it with a forced grin :D

Edited by richsabre, 28 July 2014 - 02:21 PM.

• NotAZombie and shipwreck like this

#19 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

Maybe Celebrimbor is not really Celebrimbor, but really Sauron in disguise, underhandedly culling the weak links in his own ranks using a Ranger who... Oh never mind.  It's probably unsalvageable. 

And an Elf ghost... yeah... that's kind of iffy.  Maybe if he was evil enough to share fate with the corrupt dead, but throughout the Silmarillion, there are plenty of examples of arguably evil elves who still ended up in the halls of Mandos.  Was Celebrimbor corrupt enough to even warrant this discussion?  

I'm a bit of a stickler for canon in Tolkien's work, but primarily because I believe it honors his memory and lifelong effort by adhering to his intentions.  There is plenty of room to play around in his world without stepping on toes, so I don't get why some people feel the need to intrude.  What I'd like to see is some serious works which tackle the far east and south lands, maybe even the blue wizards.  And of course the story doesn't end with The Return of the King.  It's actually more of a beginning.  

In the meantime, somebody get Peter Jackson a pacifier and don't let him play with other people's toys anymore.  He likes to break things.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#20 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Well, at least now we know what Celebrimbor's Secret was...

• Dain Ironfoot and shipwreck like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS