Issue with non flexible players.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 XScorpionX5

XScorpionX5

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

Hey guy's we are about to start a Black Crusade campaign with a Renegade , Plague Marine, Champion, and Apostate. However the Plague Marine won't listen to anyone at the moment saying he will do everything to appease Nurgle and will take the fun out of the story...... How do I fix it and still let him worship Nurgle without him taking everyone off the track.

#2 Chaplain

Chaplain

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:05 AM

You either give him tetriary objectives which arent counterproductive but nurglish (stoically holding the line under sustained fire and multiple enemy attacks while the rest of the team makes covert strike and daring escape, contaminating/irradiating enemy food, water, equipment, air supply, life sustainers to weaken them, destroying a beautiful masterpiece of art or slaying a beloved leader, thus showing the enemy the ultimate truth of futility and despair, or simply completing the compact in a way which proves nurgle way to be more effective).

Or, if the player is counterproductive, stubborn and ruining everyone else's fun you probably can ask the players if they are ok with it, and if they are not - carry on without him.
  • Gregorius21778, Nasheen, Amroth and 1 other like this
I am the man who arranges the blocks

#3 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

It sounds like your problem is with the player and not his choice of god.

I'd sit down with him and ask if he is serious about wanting to be a downer for everyone else and what his justifications are.

Because is that really what Nurgle wants? (hint, the GM should decide what his god wants, not the player).

There are elegant and clever ways a Nurgle, or any god-aligned player; can go around obstructing/destroying the work of his fellow Heretics.

His statement implies that he isn't going about it that way.

• Gregorius21778 and XScorpionX5 like this

#4 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

Hey guy's we are about to start a Black Crusade campaign with a Renegade , Plague Marine, Champion, and Apostate. However the Plague Marine won't listen to anyone at the moment saying he will do everything to appease Nurgle and will take the fun out of the story...... How do I fix it and still let him worship Nurgle without him taking everyone off the track.

Can you give an example? How is he doing things to take the fun out of the story?

Suggestions above are good; Nurgle likes plague, despair, corruption, etc but he really, really dislikes his agents screwing up and failing a compact sworn in his name....

• XScorpionX5 likes this

#5 XScorpionX5

XScorpionX5

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

To provide an example of how the story is going so people can get a feel of things. The main goal of the campaign is to make a solar system fall to chaos. There first mission to achieve this is to turn a priest into a spawn at the height of his speech. They would have to use a special rifle that was silenced blessed by a Tzeentch psyker. However once they got to the psyker he tried to kill him since their two gods are opposed. It's just being over zealous to the fluff I guess, the psyker didn't like him either but none the less tried to do his end of the deal. Even the khorne worshiping Renegade didn't go against the psyker.

I don't know I might just be nit picking, or do you think it could lead to future problems. Since they would need to get a war host of all the chaos god's to win the final battle?

#6 Chaplain

Chaplain

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

If the compact he agreed on has failed because of his deliberate actions he can instead recieve the irritation from his patron god (corruption as Failing, Infamy loss) with little to none damage to everyone else's stats. Also you can show him the consequences of his actions (priest rescued by his actions turns into competent, noble and beloved pontifex, giving hope and resolve to billions of faithful corpse-emperor worshippers) - give him the sense of guilt, for his petty rivalry with follower of another chaos god gave birth to champion to his ultimate enemy and angered the object of his worship.
You, being the one representing dark gods, assign tetriaries, decide what pleases the deity, and what do they hate.

#7 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:48 AM

Yeah sounds like he is causing trouble just for the sake of causing trouble.

A worshiper of one God is not going to attack a follower of another God simply because their Gods are opposed, especially if working with the rival works towards goals pleasing his own God.

I agree with the comments above, I would give him the ol' find a way to make it work or else make another character or find another game.......

• Fgdsfg likes this

#8 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

Impact upon him the wholesome and family-centric nature of Papa Nurgle, and his love for all his children.

The aim, to do everything to appease Nurgle, is fine. But at the same time, he may have a mistaken view as to what would appease Nurgle in a satisfactory manner. And if he becomes disruptive to the point where he is actively hurting other people in his team, remind everyone else that it is entirely possible for them to drop him straight out of an air lock.
  • Amroth likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#9 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:50 AM

Sounds like a problem players. Tell him that he does not HAVE to act like that. If he uses the "Nuernberge Defense" in that case ( "I am only following mein charakter concept!"), tell him that he needs a character concept that allows him to work WITH the other players in the group and not utterly against them.

"I don´t see no problem with a Nurgle Marine working with a follower of Tzeentch Player a character. Bitchyness is okay, smiting the others is not. If you feel your character needs to act that way, you will need to make a new one. One that is making sure that EVERYONE is able to have fun in the games. It cannot be the one is ruinining the game for all. I will not GM such a thing.
But I guess you see the point, don´t you?"

#10 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

Quite so. You are the representation of the ruinous powers at the table.

Equally, "you serve a different god therefore I must kill you" is a bit childish. He's sworn to complete this task, whatever it takes, invoking the name of Nurgleh in the process, and if he has to put up with someone who annoys him....well, deal with it. Even Kharneth's pet psychotic kept his chainaxe to himself.

If he wants to kill the champion of an opposed power after they've done everything his brethren needs them to do, tell him to go right ahead. I doubt anyone would stop him. But don't do so in a way or at a time that risks completion of the compact.

And yes, 'everything you need them to do' includes needing the sorceror or his allies further down the line. If the heretics have a reputation for murdering their allies once the dust settles (or even before), then guess what? No-one will assist them.

If you want to underscore the point, have a Nurglesque heretic refuse to deal with them because he doesn't trust them.

Ultimately, this is no different to D&D "I'm just playing my alignment" complaints. Nurgle likes it when plague is spread, and tzeenchian champions die, and worlds lose hope. But he favours the champions who do so with a bit of panache, and keep the oaths they swear in his name (Tzeench may betray his own, but that's one of many despicable properties of Tzeenchian heretics...). Alignment in Black Crusade is no more proscriptive (in fact less so) than D&D.

#11 Bellevue

Bellevue

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

Point out to him that Nurgle has priorities.

As an example (spoilered because it's a bit too specific about filth and people may be eating):

Spoiler

• Killbeggar, Magnus Grendel, Terraneaux and 5 others like this

#12 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:25 AM

As an example (spoilered because it's a bit too specific about filth and people may be eating):

Spoiler

+1 for fecal wizardry.

• Magnus Grendel and XScorpionX5 like this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#13 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

Spoiler

Was just eating. But didn't loose appetite.

+1 Fecal wizardry, indeed :D

• Magnus Grendel likes this
Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#14 Bellevue

Bellevue

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:26 AM

Then I should give attribution for the phrase.

(Features cartoon poop, but you probably guessed that)

• Routa-maa likes this

#15 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

Then I should give attribution for the phrase.

(Features cartoon poop, but you probably guessed that)

Hopefully any of my players don't see this or Nurgle player wants that as Psychic Power.

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#16 Chaplain

Chaplain

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

For the love of Grandfather...
  • Routa-maa likes this

#17 Kamikazzijoe

Kamikazzijoe

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

Tell him his tertiary object is to convert his fellow players into nurgle followers by showing his superiority.

#18 DeathByGrotz

DeathByGrotz

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Tell him his tertiary object is to convert his fellow players into nurgle followers by showing his superiority.

If you do this, make sure he never hears about fecal wizardry. :D

#19 Chaplain

Chaplain

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

The matter is all the more strange to me because I have a player who loves to rp nurgle followers, and he is the last one to work against fellow heretics of opposite alignment. Why bother? When they inevitably age, lose their charming beauty, young liveliness, ambitions and dreams, they will come to Grandfather just the same, and he will be there, unchanged, undying when they will join the loving family.

Edited by Chaplain, 25 July 2014 - 07:06 AM.

• Nasheen and Amroth like this

#20 XScorpionX5

XScorpionX5

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

Reporting back what happened with their mission. After taking all you're advice I slapped him with grandfather Nurgle is not pleased and lost some infamy.  He was okay with it and seems to have switched to a more compliant player. After all when you're chaos lord shows up with ten terminators you will shape up. 

Beside that, the next mission has them appeasing Khorne and will draw Khorne Berserker. They have to sneak into the local PDF barracks and kill them as well as stealing a supply of food. To make it seem like the greedy nobles are keeping it away from the lower hive citizens. However they must not destroy it for they will give it to the people and say look how generous chaos is to you. 

How do I curb any Super Nurgle Player action?

• Magnus Grendel likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS