Crazy 2 ship build? Viable?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xTehOnex

xTehOnex

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

Thinking of doing a 2 ship build, which will somewhat be a hard counter to swarms.

What I would like this build to do, is be able to take out 1-2 Tie Fighters each turn through brute strength.

I know there are probably better combos or configurations, but wanted to see what everyone thought.

Build:

Krassis + HLC + Gunner + Assault Missle (x1)

Rexler + HLC + Predator

Seems like a cool build to run for fun, I'll have to try it at a table with friends. Not meant to be a competative build.

Edited by xTehOnex, 24 July 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#2 BahnCalamari

BahnCalamari

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Thinking of doing a 2 ship build, which will somewhat be a hard counter to swarms.

2 ships is exactly what a swarm wants to go up against, not really a counter.

What I would like this build to do, is be able to take out 1-2 Tie Fighters each turn through brute strength.

The only problem is that 7-8 ties can focus on one of your ships and cut your list in half very quickly, and then you are only taking zero or one shots per turn.

I am not saying your list won't work - it will just really struggle vs swarms.

X-Wing

Spoiler

ANr:

Spoiler

#3 FTS Gecko

FTS Gecko

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

The only problem is that 7-8 ties can focus on one of your ships and cut your list in half very quickly, and then you are only taking zero or one shots per turn.

I am not saying your list won't work - it will just really struggle vs swarms.

This.  Swarms have a number of major advantages over low model count lists, but it really boils down to efficiency.

Look at it this way:  The maximum swarm size is eight ships - Z95's or TIE's.  You can engage and potentially destroy two ships a turn.  If you manage to destroy those two ships (which is being VERY optimistic, even with HLC's) then you reduce the swarm's potential damage output by a quarter.

Conversely, the entire swarm can potentially engage all of your ships at once.  They can focus on one until it's dead, or slowly whittle both down.  The second they destroy just one of your ships, they it reduces your potential damage output by a half, and then you can only engage one ship per turn in return.

You need to destroy 4 TIE's before they destroy one of your ships in order to remain competitive.  The second you lose a ship, the swarm's numerical advantage escalates.  A swarm of eight ships can destroy one ship much faster than one ship can destroy four.

If IGN is the Weyland-Yutani of entertainment websites, would that make Ryan McCaffrey Carter Burke?

#4 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Two ships better be loaded with Assault Missiles or Turrets or something to scatter the opposition, or cause them to crash into each other. Repeatedly.

Edited by Slugrage, 24 July 2014 - 10:27 AM.

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75, 2 Reb Aces

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS