Better non-wound brawl weapons

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ian2400

Ian2400

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

I have a marauder in my game that is by far the best combatant in the party, and will be the main source of damage. Problem is, he wants to go brawl instead of melee and one of his obligations is Oath: Do not kill. He murdered too many people while escaping enslavement and has promised never to kill again unless absolutely necessary (he's also developed a nasty drinking habit).

Right now, he's using shock gloves, which are 'good not great' as far as I'm concerned, but I don't have any options in any of the sourcebooks for upgrading his brawl weaponry without also making it deadly weaponry. I was hoping the community could give me ideas for good brawl weapons I could have him loot at some point that could serve as upgrades.

My best idea so far: Blast Knuckles that the Outlaw Tech of the party can modify to be stun only. I'm not sure if doing so should lower the damage from +4 to +3 or add some other drawback, but simply making it stun only and apply only strain damage may be fine. 

• kaosoe likes this

My current Obsidian Portal campaign: https://trouble-on-k...dianportal.com/

#2 KJDavid

KJDavid

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Check out the Enforcer tree in Dangerous Covenants. There is a talent that lets you use Melee weapons inflict Strain which is the best way to make a Marauder non-lethal. In terms of making Brawl better, Enforcer also helps with that too.

• Jamwes likes this

#3 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

The stun-only blast knuckles with 3 damage seems fine to me. Although shock gloves aren't bad; there's the initial strain damage from the strike, plus 3 strain that bypasses soak for the cost of 2 Advantage. For four Advantage that's 6 strain, 6 Advantage is 9 strain, and so on. Since you player isn't looking to kill anyone he has no reason to save his Advantage for criticals, so he should have some to burn. God knows my group's Marauder does.

#4 Ian2400

Ian2400

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

I put them in a decent amount of combat our first session and he only managed to set off the shock quality once. Maybe it was just bad luck, but considering he put a ton of XP into raising brawn to 5, I want to give him ways to really take full advantage of his strength and not have him feel like it's a waste. He just had to make it really friggin' difficult with brawl + no kill haha.

#5 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Shock Gloves w/Superior attachment?

(He could also dip into Doctor for the Pressure Points talent.)

Edited by Col. Orange, 24 July 2014 - 08:50 AM.

• kaosoe and KevynnRedfern like this

What's written above is meant with love

#6 Hampulina93

Hampulina93

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Enforcer is a good option since (as mentioned) it grants Stunning Blow in addition to being a Hired Gun spec. Your player could also take a look at Infiltrator from AoR if you have it, it has both Stunning Blow and Improved Stunning Blow.

As for the Blast Knuckles I would totally allow it, it is described as a light blaster pistol strapped to a glove so changing it to stun does not sounds impossible for a decent mechanic. I would also allow it to stay +4 since normal Stun Blasters keep their damage.

• Jamwes likes this

#7 KJDavid

KJDavid

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

If he's got Brawn 5 and a decent Brawl skill (which I assume he does), then he should be "dual-wielding" with every hit. Yeah, that makes a typical Melee check Hard (3D), but starting out with 5 Ability dice then upgrading to whatever his Brawl is (at least 2) should make that check not very difficult. 2 Proficiency + 3 Ability by itself is a pretty potent pool.

• awayputurwpn, Col. Orange, Jamwes and 1 other like this

#8 Ian2400

Ian2400

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

I wasn't aware you could dual-wield brawl. I was under the assumption that brawl always used both of your hands. No one fights with their left hand tied behind their back, yeah?

#9 Dbuntu

Dbuntu

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

I wasn't aware you could dual-wield brawl. I was under the assumption that brawl always used both of your hands. No one fights with their left hand tied behind their back, yeah?

Brawl can be dual-wielded. It's combat, nothing says it can't be, and there is absolutely no justification to restrict it.

#10 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Sam Stewart confirmed this.

See this thread.

• awayputurwpn, Col. Orange, Jamwes and 1 other like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#11 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

It's really a GM call. Personally, I'd allow it. You can also flavor it that "dual-wield" is using his whole body, so he's kicking and head butting as well as punching.

#12 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

One of the benefits of using Brawl is that you can always choose whether to deal damage to the target's Strain Threshold or Wound Threshold. So I don't think nerfing any Brawl weapon is called for to "allow it" to deal stun damage. You can already do that with Brawl, which is as it should be.

#13 Ian2400

Ian2400

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

One of the benefits of using Brawl is that you can always choose whether to deal damage to the target's Strain Threshold or Wound Threshold. So I don't think nerfing any Brawl weapon is called for to "allow it" to deal stun damage. You can already do that with Brawl, which is as it should be.

This is quite true, what I was referring to was that the more 'potent' brawl weapons found in dangerous covenants explicitly deal wounds, since they either have blasters or knives attached to them. I'd like to eventually give him something that gives him some +damage so he is punching at 8-9 damage as if wielding a heavy weapon. 

#14 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

This is quite true, what I was referring to was that the more 'potent' brawl weapons found in dangerous covenants explicitly deal wounds, since they either have blasters or knives attached to them. I'd like to eventually give him something that gives him some +damage so he is punching at 8-9 damage as if wielding a heavy weapon. 

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, modding it to deal Stun damage doesn't seem like a bad idea. 

• kaosoe likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS