Gaming group politics

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 DJB

DJB

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

So I just got booted from my gaming group, effectively for asking if anyone wanted to play x-wing. Is that a first?

The group is run like a treehouse members club and for some reason one guy there likes really horrible Eurogames. Fair play to him, but I expressed a disliking for two games he likes and a liking for games he doesn't and suddenly I'm out. How childish is that???

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I think this kind of nonsense is what holds back tabletop gaming. So now I'm looking for a new gaming group in Hull UK, which is the definition of the word backwater so might be tricky.

Sorry for a bit of a downer thread, feel free to rant :-)

• admiralcrunch likes this

#2 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

So you were kicked out of the facebook group, the gaming store, the xwing league, or what specifically?

• Marinealver likes this

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#3 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

Well what a childish a hole that guy is, I know it's rough to lose your gaming group but you may end up better without that guy.

• admiralcrunch and DJB like this

#4 8obman

8obman

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:33 AM

I am chairman of my local club and I'm afraid there are a lot of politics involved. More so than I deem necessary for a hobby.

That said your situation is a tad extreme.
  • admiralcrunch, tiefanatic and DJB like this

#5 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

Theres a guy at my local store who Ive had to drop games in a tourny because of his blatant cheating. Its starting to get political with him, and he behaves like a child during game play (threw my tokens and templates at me in one game). Ive come to the conclusion if I still want to win the tourny and I have to play him, Im just going to call the TO to move my ships (sometimes my shaking hands can become problematic for me)

Edited by Torresse, 24 July 2014 - 04:42 AM.

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#6 Old Adept

Old Adept

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

Such and such game IS clearly the best and most insightful. If you dont see that, you must be an unwashed cretin! Why everyone knows x-wing is just a kids game barley a step up from pokemon.

Sounds like a eurogame snob. A small subsect of the gaming comunity. Right there with the wargaming snob, who turns there nose unless you play war games with hex maps and little square cardboard pieces that they move with little special tongs(true fact).

Call him out publically on his snobbishness(others undoubtedly see this too)and bust out the x-wing!
  • KommanderKeldoth, admiralcrunch, tiefanatic and 1 other like this
I have NOTHING clever to say.
NO ONE cares about what ships I have.
NO ONE cares if I win or loose.

#7 DJB

DJB

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

I wasn't rude either!

I am better off without this kind of BS, but it came right out of the blue, a complete back stab.

There is only really one alternative in Hull, I'm going to give them a try but not for a days, this has really knocked me back, I'm not as tough as some but clearly not as thin skinned as others...

I gave a robust rebuttal to my dear John email. But its a private club, if the owner doesn't want me there then that's that. Game Over.

Edited by DJB, 24 July 2014 - 04:49 AM.

• admiralcrunch and Osoling like this

#8 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

So he didn't even say it to your face, what a coward.

#9 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:56 AM

Don't know what to say here ... as getting my head wrapped around this whole situation is virtually impossible.

Makes me feel like we are back in 1st grade arguing about the proper use of Play-Doh.  :(  :blink:  :angry:

• InvestFDC, Sergovan, AgentV and 4 others like this

#10 DJB

DJB

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:00 AM

It truly is exactly as ridiculous as it seems.

• KommanderKeldoth, admiralcrunch and tiefanatic like this

#11 Mentat

Mentat

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

Start your own club?

• admiralcrunch and tiefanatic like this

#12 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

That sounds to bizarre to be a reality.  It makes me suspect that it was just a cover story.   I don't know you, but just hearing about your story in general I would naturally assume that perhaps this guy didn't like you for some other reason, and just used your "Game likes / dislikes" as an excuse.   

Again I'm not sure if that's true, but from an outsider's point of view, I would think that he probably didn't have the balls to tell you that he didn't like you, so made up the excuse that it was because you wanted to play X-Wing. 

• Disgruntled, Vorpal Sword, Joe Boss Red Seven and 1 other like this

#13 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Politics within gaming is sadly unavoidable. I was a member of a long standing gaming club years ago, but when the politics starting getting silly, there was a coup, and that was that. Me and a couple of other guys weren't kicked out but basically made to feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, so we started another club with a couple of basic ground rules and dispensed with all the crap that had destroyed the last club. Over 22 years later and I'm pleased to say our club is still going strong.

• Osoroshii, admiralcrunch and DJB like this

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#14 Sergovan

Sergovan

Fly Casual

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Politics within gaming is sadly unavoidable. I was a member of a long standing gaming club years ago, but when the politics starting getting silly, there was a coup, and that was that. Me and a couple of other guys weren't kicked out but basically made to feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, so we started another club with a couple of basic ground rules and dispensed with all the crap that had destroyed the last club. Over 22 years later and I'm pleased to say our club is still going strong.

May you should start a thread aimed at helping those who want to start their own gaming clubs? Cover political situations and ground rules and such. ;)

Just a thought...

• admiralcrunch and DJB like this

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 5 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 2 Tie Phantom, 2 Defender

Tournament results: (S)11 of 11; (S)3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; ®12 of 28

#15 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

The main group of gamers in the small city where I live (around 70,000 people) are all eurogamers. I love the occasional euro, I love a good Ameritrash game too. I grew up on chit based military games like GDW Third World War series and even played a ton of Supremacy. So for me, I'm a bit of a chameleon when it comes to gaming and who I can easily be compatible with.

The main gamers here though don't really care for X-Wing, and I'm cool with that. It's not their thing. There's a small community of us, and between us and the next biggest city (a 40 minute drive away), we have enough to have small tournaments. If I want to get to the "big" community of gamers, it's a 90+ minute drive to Toronto.

Start a Facebook Group. Do a few searches for X-Wing groups around you, and be prepared to travel if you need to.

Good luck, and fly casual. :)

• dandirk, Vorpal Sword, Sergovan and 2 others like this

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75, 2 Reb Aces

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49

#16 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Find people you like. Work hard to keep things going. 

It's a gaming club, not a private society. If there are guys in the club you want to game with, shoot 'em an email from time to time to get together and game. 

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk, 2 Es, 2 Zs

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv, 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#17 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Well what a childish a hole that guy is, I know it's rough to lose your gaming group but you may end up better without that guy.

Ditto!

:angry:

I stopped going to game stores way back because they are rare in the first place now and many stink.

It is what it is.

:mellow:

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#18 xTehOnex

xTehOnex

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

At my local hobby store, there are multiple groups that come one day a week. Usually each group sort of votes for what they want to play. Sometimes you get thrown into a game you don't want to play, but I've never heard of some one shunning another player just because he didn't like the games he played. I mean, games are a social interation... if he can't come to terms that he has to ineract with others, then it's his own personal social problems.

Anyway, I'd just talk to the other players that were in your group and invite them to your place, or local hobby store, or anywhere you guys can setup. Don't let this one idiot stop you from having fun and playing games you like.

#19 Jon kerr

Jon kerr

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'm from Leeds, UK, and I'm sad to say we had similar "political" issues a couple of years back.

The solution is simple- get in touch with the guys you want to game with and organise your own sessions away from the club. We did exactly that, started up a mini-league outside of the "official" club, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We took it in turns to all meet up at our houses rather than the club itself. Our gaming group was greatly stronger for it.

In your case- pretty soon this pillock will realise that the gaming group can make it's own decisions about what they want to play. I strongly encourage you to get in touch with the other players in the group and invite them for a session of X-Wing, and leave Mr Megalomaniac out of it.

Good luck!

Edited by Jon kerr, 24 July 2014 - 10:27 AM.

• admiralcrunch and Hobojebus like this

#20 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Man am I lucky... my gaming group is my old friends... we get together for some gaming each week... too many people for x-wing but it gets out on other nights/meet ups.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS