Talking tactics

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

So, players of excellence, tell me one strategy or tactic that you use to win. No a ship, pilot or upgrade, but a system, philosophy or approach.

Let's here what ya got.

#2 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Play a wookie so people can tell your opponent to "let the wookie win." :)

Perhaps a bit sarcastic but also not a terrible approach either.

As for a "Strategy or tactic" I'll say just be confident in your abilities so you don't get flustered by unexpect things and/or things that don't go your way like they should.

• oddeye and ObiBen like this

#3 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

I like to kill a ship before it ever gets to fire.

• voidstate, Magnus Grendel, Osoroshii and 3 others like this

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#4 ExpatSmuggler

ExpatSmuggler

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

Flexibility is most key for me. I try to have a few different plans going in to every match. That way I can react to whatever gets thrown my way. I try not to be too rigid, but don't just entirely wing it either.

Imperial - 5 TIE Fighters, 3 Intercepters, 3 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber

Rebel - 4 X-Wings, 4 Z-95's, 3 E-Wings, 2 YT-1300's, 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 HWK, 1 Rebel Transport

#5 Biophysical

Biophysical

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

The best list-building strategy I've encountered was said by Theorist on Team Covenant (although others have probably said similar things elsewhere).  The following is paraphrased.

1.)  Make a list of your ships from most dangerous to least dangerous.

2.)  Make a list of your ships from most durable to least durable.

3.)  Make sure those lists are the same.

You don't want to give the opponent any easy decisions, like throwing a powerful, flimsy ship in a list with a bunch of tough, low attack ships.

• polmoneys, Krynn007, admat and 2 others like this

#6 ThatJakeGuy

ThatJakeGuy

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Maneuverability is key. It doesn't matter how fragile your ship is if your opponent never gets to shoot it.

• ObiBen likes this
My Fleet:
4F, 3I, 2D, 1B, 1P, 1A, 1 Firespray, 1 Lambda
2X, 1Y, 2A, 2B, 1E, 1 Falcon, 1 HWK

#7 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Blocking! Forcing a ship to be where you want it to be. Once said ship is there focus fire, get it off the board. Blocking works against every single ship. Just keep in mind you don't have to bump to block.
  • voidstate and polmoneys like this

#8 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

• Try to avoid having a lynchpin ship - if killing one single ship destroys your cunning plan, it probably won't work. It's why I'm not a massive fan of Howlrunner.
  • If you can visualise exactly what your opponent's going to do and counter it, fine - but you're better than me. However, what you can do fairly easily is see the rough 'cone' that a given ship could be in depending on the manouvres it can do and lay as many arcs of fire across that region as possible. Barrel rolls and boosts let you 'tweak' a bit but not if you've gone wrong in the first place.
  • Don't feel you have to shed stress the turn after you get it. Pulling a hard 1 turn in a stressed TIE fighter can catch people off guard more often than you think.
  • There are several possible ways to decide your first target - it depends what you're opponent's list looks like. Against some (royal guard interceptors), take whatever shots you get, against some, take the easy kills first for the points. But my personal recommendation? Wherever possible, look at your opponent's list and pick out the one guy you really, really don't have to face one-on-one in the end game. Echo, Luke with R2D2, Chewbacca with C-3PO, etc, etc. There's often one guy you absolutely must kill whilst you've got multiple ships and multiple attackers to do it with because you won't or even physically can't do it later.

• voidstate, dandirk, oddeye and 8 others like this

#9 Icareane

Icareane

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

1) Concentrate fire

2) Prevent your opponent from taking actions and get actions with your ships,

My painting and gaming blog : http://rule37-ica.blogspot.com

#10 Slambdogg

Slambdogg

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:30 AM

Play ships that you fly well.

Learn dials by playing with all ships.

If you ever think during a match "i hope he doesn't......" then remember it, use it or prevent it.

Enjoy yourself.

If your opponent is new to the game and needs help, give it. If you can't beat a noob fairly then you shouldn't resort to rules buggery.

Sometimes the dice will be against you. Accept it graciously.

Sometimes the dice will be with you. Acknowledge it humbly.

Enjoy yourself.

• Mikael Hasselstein, voidstate, Magnus Grendel and 15 others like this

#11 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

Identify the ship(s) that will cause you the most problems in the end game and eliminate it/them first.

• admat, ObiBen and ivar9898 like this

#12 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

base your kills in order, What ship is going to cause you the most damage. whether it be damage on your ship, or restriction of movement, know which ship is your target mark. what ship is going to prevent you from Kturning, but you are powerless to stop his kturn

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#13 swimmingordy

swimmingordy

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

Force your opponent to spread their firepower out over multiple ships. Keep them all alive longer and thus gives you more firepower.
  • voidstate likes this

#14 Joostuh

Joostuh

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

I posted this in another tread the other day;

I think it's a mistake to base your entire squad on a single tactic. If you want to play with arc dodgers include a mini swarm to counter that YT or Y-wing! If you want to play a low PS 4x fighter squad as Rebels, you should take some of your firepower away and include some ion or stress inducers to introduce some control in your squad.

• mrkyle likes this

#15 Okapi

Okapi

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

I like providing my opponent with difficult choices. Yesterday I had Chewbacca surrounded by Turr Phennir with an evade token at 3, two Academy Pilots with evade tokens at 1, and Night Beast with focus and evade at 2. By keeping every single ship within range of the Falcon, at varying ranges, and if at all possible outside the fire arcs of his X-Wings and Headhunter (even at the cost of my firing), my opponent has no single "right" choice to make. 

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

#16 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

Don't get cute. I've done this too many times. Its good to be unpredictable, but not to the point where you out fly yourself. If you have an optimal move but its the predictable one, take it. Don't do a maneuver that will take you out of position even if your opponent isn't expecting it.

Have a purpose behind your actions. I've seen people barrel roll or boost for no other reason then that they can. If you aren't BRing or boosting to get out of arc or move around a rock, etc. Then don't do it. When in doubt Focus!

Think a move or two ahead at least, especially with unmaneuverable ships. I've flown off the board before because I didn't do the right move 2 or 3 turns ago.

• Okapi and ivar9898 like this

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#17 GannerRhysode

GannerRhysode

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

Always play your game.  Do what you designed your list to do, no matter what your opponent is doing, that way you either get rolled or you force them to play to match you, and not the other way around :)

"There are thousands of warriors out here. You are only one man!"
"I am only one Jedi."
"You're insane!"
"No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
―Nom Anor and Ganner Rhysode

#18 Deltmi

Deltmi

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Learn game theory

Rebel Alliance: 5 [X-Wing], 2 [Y-Wing], 2 [A-Wing], 3 [B-Wing], 2 [HWK-290], 1 [YT-1300], 1 [GR75 Transport], 1 [CR90 Corvette], 4 [Z-95], 2 [E-Wing]

Empire: 8 [Tie Fighter], 3 [Tie Advanced], 3 [Tie Interceptor], 3 [Tie Bomber], 1 [Firespray-31], 1 [Lambda Shuttle], 1 [Imperial Aces], 2 [Tie Phantom], 2 [Tie Defender]

#19 Nataris

Nataris

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you're going to spend 30+ pts on one ship, you better have another major threat on your squad to force a decision in your opponent.

I build lists with 2 elements in mind:

-at least 2 major threats (or 1 + mini swarm)
-dedicated flanker.

You don't have to fly in formation to focus fire.

#20 Marvingardns

Marvingardns

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

Reduce the amount of red dice available for your opponent to throw as soon as possible. Don't spread your fire elsewhere if it could mean killing off that last hit point.  

Green dice are overrated.  A bad roll of red means you miss. A bad roll of green means your dead.

Four hit points on two ships has more staying power than four points on one ship.  

Identify your opponent's center of gravity and get there the "fastest with the mostest." 

Don't extract yourself from combat in the face of the enemy.  When you are in the furball, you stay in the furball until death.

These are probably poor maxims in practice (I'm not that great of a player), but they are how I am trying to play.

• ivar9898 likes this
Johnny Rebs: Y-Wing (3), X-Wing (5), B-Wing (3), A-Wing (5), , HWK (2), Falcon (1), GR-75 (1), CR-90 (1), Z-95 (6), E-Wing (3)
Billy Yanks: TIE Fighter (8), Lambda (1),TIE Interceptors (9, inc. two IA packs), TIE Adv (3), Firespray (1), TIE Bomber (3), TIE Defender (2), TIE Phantom (3)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS