Photo

How to handle mines and set explosive attacks.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 njharman

njharman

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

difficulty one purple [edit miswrote green] for engaged?

I don't know what the "attack" dice would be.  No skill seems to apply. Maybe vigilance (for setting up good spot, waiting for best time to remote trigger)?

Edited by njharman, 23 July 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#2 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Well...first, difficulty dice are purple. And mines are used with the Gunnery skill.

Ignoring the RAW for Gunnery weapons, I'd set the difficulty at Easy once someone activated the mine by pressure or proximity. 

If you're thinking of manually detonated ordnance, I dunno. Probably still Gunnery, and the difficulty is determined by the physical range from the attacking character to the target (and the mine with which the target must be engaged).

Edited by awayputurwpn, 23 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#3 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, the skill is now Mechanics...but it doesn't really explain how that works...

Maybe.... you just say where you put them and when target moves into the area you make a Mechanics "attack" with a miss meaning they failed to trigger a mine?

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, the skill is now Mechanics...but it doesn't really explain how that works...

Maybe.... you just say where you put them and when target moves into the area you make a Mechanics "attack" with a miss meaning they failed to trigger a mine?

It really doesn't handle the idea that Despair when rigging the charges can result in a detonation well before there are even enemies in range.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Well roll when setting them up, then deal that amount of damage to the target.

#6 Satchmo72

Satchmo72

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

My understanding of the rules is that you make a mechanic check when constructing the bomb to determine the damage it will do.  Then you hide the bomb in the path of your adversary.  When the enemy approaches the bomb they will make an opposed perception roll against either survival or stealth.

I am 90% certain the opposed check is how the stun trap is placed and I see no reason to deal with explosives any differently.

#7 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

I'd go with Skulduggery.  If it's hidden really well the enemy is that much closer when it goes off.

What's written above is meant with love

#8 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

It really doesn't handle the idea that Despair when rigging the charges can result in a detonation well before there are even enemies in range.

Mines aren't demo charges though, if anything they are more like grenades, so you don't really "need" that effect. A despair might mean any number of other things. Maybe you planted the mine too close to another, and the explosion of the first mine disables a second removing it from your "attack" options.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#9 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

I tend to run thing in a way that means that the skill used depends on the circumstances.

If the players are just putting the mine down for someone to drive/walk over, use Mechanics.

If they're trying to hide it, use Stealth or possibly Survival, depending on the setting. You can of course use Stealth/Survival to hide it and Mechanics for damage, but that means two checks instead of one.

If the players want some "special effect" type of thing when the mine detonates, use Skulduggery.

• RedfordBlade likes this

#10 KJDavid

KJDavid

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I tend to run thing in a way that means that the skill used depends on the circumstances.

If the players are just putting the mine down for someone to drive/walk over, use Mechanics.

If they're trying to hide it, use Stealth or possibly Survival, depending on the setting. You can of course use Stealth/Survival to hide it and Mechanics for damage, but that means two checks instead of one.

If the players want some "special effect" type of thing when the mine detonates, use Skulduggery.

Krieger22 has the right idea. You can also make the difficulty dependent on the stats of who is coming along relevant to the skill used. If you do that, you don't have to make Perception or Vigilance checks for the NPCs. Roll their stats into the difficulty, and BOOM you're done.

Maybe literally.

• RedfordBlade likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS