Photo

Collect call from the warp, will you accept the charges?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

The Age of Sail, Age of Discovery, and Colnial Era actually have many different examples of shared power aboard a ship.  Take the Golden Age of Piracy as one example.  Captains were elected.  They had a Sailing Master, who had command of the ship outside combat.  Then they had a Captain, who commanded during battle.  There were exceptions to that, of course, and they were some of the most famous pirates, being good at two things.  In the Dutch Indiamen, a Secretary General would be in charge of things ashore and the Master Pilot would be in charge of things aboard.  On a Portugese Indiaman, one guy was in charge of the expedition as a whole while each ship had its captain AND another guy in charge of negotating business deals.

You can even go with a multi-ship Dynasty, if power sharing is an issue.  It's not too difficult to draw up a 20-30 SP ship, and you can easily get 2 ships that way, and maybe even a third if you skimp.  That might be a fun campaign.

While you are absolutely correct, most of these are variations on the same theme I was talking about. The "Master and Commander" example was meant to reference a style of command breakdown as well as it's specific historical example. The Pirate method is actually how I start any new RT game! The Pc's 'elect' the player that will play the RT. How that player chooses to delegate authority is largely up to them. I also Emphasize that many other organizations on board are their own little fiefdoms! (Especially the Navigator and the Admech priests!).

I once had a situation where one of the Navigators minions refused to take orders from the Ship's XO! She was deferential to the Captain (But still referred him to her Navigator master) but did not see anyone other then the Navigator himself and the Captain in her chain of command. For the Navigator's part, They refused to sanction their underling in any way! They explained (Politely) to the XO that the entire Navis Noblis retinue on board was under contract with the RT's dynasty. This meant they were bound to the Captain and no one else under their contract! Thus, while their minion was a tad inartful :rolleyes: , She was not wrong!

#42 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:57 AM

I once had a situation where one of the Navigators minions refused to take orders from the Ship's XO! She was deferential to the Captain (But still referred him to her Navigator master) but did not see anyone other then the Navigator himself and the Captain in her chain of command. For the Navigator's part, They refused to sanction their underling in any way! They explained (Politely) to the XO that the entire Navis Noblis retinue on board was under contract with the RT's dynasty. This meant they were bound to the Captain and no one else under their contract! Thus, while their minion was a tad inartful :rolleyes: , She was not wrong!

Sure, it's only fair. No one would expect the captain's oathsworn bodyguards, the Explorator's servitors or the arch-militant's drinking buddies to be truly loyal to anyone else, so why not the Navigator's bodyguards?

Part of what I like about this system is the vastly different party dynamics you can achieve, even with the same classes in play. We've had iron-fisted warlord rogue traders controlling every aspect of their ships, naive young captains being manipulated by seneschal, explorator or even xenos puppet masters, and hard-eyed crime lords who'd let anyone do their thing up to a point, but made them disappear if they crossed him. We've had shady mutant bodyguard arch-militants hiding in the shadow of the lord-captain, brazen noblemen commanding just as much respect as the boss, simply by force of personality, and stoic commissars who could part a crowd with a glance, that everyone obeyed out of fear - at least as long as they were around.

And the list goes on. As long as everyone is on the same wavelength, you can do a lot. It can even be fun to have a captain who routinely trods on his underlings, as long as you talk about it beforehand and agree on what everyone wants. A lot of people out there want strong independent PCs who don't need no captain, and fair enough, but a complete democracy is unlikely in this game, and kind of kills the point of playing the captain.

Edited by Magellan, 29 July 2014 - 01:00 AM.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#43 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

This is easy.  Kill him.

You don't sound as if your character is frustrated.  You are frustrated.  You, the player.  Are the other players frustrated?  If so, kill the Rogue Trader.  Have yourselves a pow-wow, plot to dethrone him, then kill him.  Then tell the player to not draw up another RT.

If the other players aren't as frustrated as you are, then you are in the wrong game.  Find another.

That will have one of two results, he'll either draw up a revenge character or he'll storm out and never come back. That is unless he has close friends at the table then a third thing will happen instead, the group will disintigrate. Like I said before the smart money is just on saying "yeah right behind you sir!" when he insists on doing stupid **** and then taking cover as fast as you can. If the voidmaster thought opening that channel was stupid he could have looked right at the GM and yelled "I cover my ears!" or "I mute my headphones!".

He'd have probably had to roll an initiative to see if he did it fast enough but that would still be one more roll between him and a burnt fate point. The way I see it you know this guy is dangerous to you and like GI Joe says knowing is half the battle, so keep an eye on him and when he starts doing dumb **** lock eye contact with the GM and shout what you're doing for yourself to save your own ass.

Edited by Amazing Larry, 29 July 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#44 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

Killing him IC won't help anything. Talk to your GM first - they are the one putting in the effort to run a game for you after all and going behind their back is low down. Explain your concerns with the player in question to the GM and see what they say. It may be that your GM can angle the game to push the RT player in a different direction without massive IRL issues arising. Or it may be that the problem is so severe it requires an intervention of sorts and your whole group needs to sit down and have a chat...

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#45 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

This is easy.  Kill him.

You don't sound as if your character is frustrated.  You are frustrated.  You, the player.  Are the other players frustrated?  If so, kill the Rogue Trader.  Have yourselves a pow-wow, plot to dethrone him, then kill him.  Then tell the player to not draw up another RT.

If the other players aren't as frustrated as you are, then you are in the wrong game.  Find another.

That will have one of two results, he'll either draw up a revenge character or he'll storm out and never come back. That is unless he has close friends at the table then a third thing will happen instead, the group will disintigrate. Like I said before the smart money is just on saying "yeah right behind you sir!" when he insists on doing stupid **** and then taking cover as fast as you can. If the voidmaster thought opening that channel was stupid he could have looked right at the GM and yelled "I cover my ears!" or "I mute my headphones!".

He'd have probably had to roll an initiative to see if he did it fast enough but that would still be one more roll between him and a burnt fate point. The way I see it you know this guy is dangerous to you and like GI Joe says knowing is half the battle, so keep an eye on him and when he starts doing dumb **** lock eye contact with the GM and shout what you're doing for yourself to save your own ass.

Pretty much how we handled our incompetent (on purpose) Rogue Trader. Just stay back and when possible, roll your eyes and ignore his orders.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#46 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Meh.  Maybe that's the LARP experience coming out, but if a character endangers everyone get rid of them and explain later.  If they are doing it on purpose and calling it roleplay then talking with them about it just forewarns them of the mutiny.

But once again, that's me and my gaming experiences talking.  And yes, I've had games disintegrate.  I'd rather risk that than spend painful months in a game I wasn't enjoying when I could be looking for that next great game.

Feel free to follow your own inclinations.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS