Two ship build - Too foolish?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Ootman

Ootman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

I think you would want Corran in the build like the Colorado regionals winner, as others have mentioned. Keep in mind Spacemonkeymafia/Christian is an X-wing savant who knows when to use Corans ability to capitilze on it for maximum damage and efficiency. In other words, I think it can be a very devastating list to your opponent when piloted well, but absolutley unforgiving to yourself if piloted poorly.

Edited by Ootman, 23 July 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#22 DreadStar

DreadStar

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

On a 2 ship list, i would make sure that the most fragile ship moves last, in this case i would put VI on coran, and not push the limit, since you actually want to play hit and run with him, and not be stressed the turn after you shoot twice.

#23 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Two ship builds are fun, but very unforgiving / vulnerable to a turn of bad dice.  For one-off games or smaller tourneys, they do pretty well.

I won a 10-player store championship with:

Han - expert / gunner / nien numb / engine upgrade

Tien Nunb - PTL / Adv Sensors / Engine Upgrade

And I won a random local tourney with:

Boba Fett - Predator / Navigator / HLC / Engine Upgrade

Whisper - Sensor Jammer / Rebel Captive / VI / ACD

It's worth noting that I didn't face a swarm in either tournament, though...

#24 ID X T

ID X T

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

I think of all the two ships builds, firespray/phantom is probably the best. I've played Han and E'tahn and it was ok. Han had assault missiles as well to help out with numbers.
  • CatPeeler likes this

#25 Deadwolf

Deadwolf

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

A YT & Ewing list does work and is quite fun.

Corran w/ ptl,engine,R2,FCS/AdvS. Fly it like an interceptor and Corran's double tap really makes up for the lack for firepower.

You can pair him with Chewie or Han.

Edited by Deadwolf, 23 July 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#26 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

So, I'm pretty excited about this build. I think I am gonna stick with it for a bit and really learn the nuances. I'll let you know what happens.

#27 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Double e wings is fun, but very difficult to fly competitively, you mustn't get aggressive, and play a slow patient game. It may be too slow against timed matches.

#28 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

So, I threw down on Vassal with

Han Solo, Chewbacca, Shield Upgrade, Veteran Insticts

Corran Horn, R2-D2, FCS, Marksmanship

I won handily against a very nice guy on Vassal, killing Howlrunner on the first round of shooting and Echo on the second.  It was fun to fly and I had a good time.  I think I will stick with this for a bit to see how it goes!

#29 SpikeSpiegel

SpikeSpiegel

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Here's what I've thrown together for a two-ship build:

Han Solo
-Expert Handling
-C-3PO
-Gunner
-Falcon Title

Corran Horn
-Veteran Instincts
-R2-D2
-Advanced Sensors

Comes out to exactly 100.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

#30 SoulCrusherEx

SoulCrusherEx

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

2 ship build is foolish yes i saw one that kittet out his chewbaca and corran horn to 100 points max and lost corran in his first shooting phase after that loss it was a matter of time when chewbacca was dead either i dont think that falcon + e wing will work in a normal match

Imperium: 7 Tie Fighter, 3 Tie Advanced, 12 Tie Interceptors (4 aces boxes included) 3 Tie Bomber and 3 fire sprays, 1 Tie Defender, 2 Tie Phantom, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 1 V49 Decimator
Rebels:  1 B-wing, 1 Z-95, 2 Hwk290,
Pirates: 3 Firesprays, 3 Y- Wings, 7 z-95, 2 HWK 290

#31 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

2 ship build is foolish yes i saw one that kittet out his chewbaca and corran horn to 100 points max and lost corran in his first shooting phase after that loss it was a matter of time when chewbacca was dead either i dont think that falcon + e wing will work in a normal match

First: punctuation, man.

Second: go back and read my earlier post in the thread (that would be #2).

#32 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Just tried the Corran + Chewie 2 ship list in a casual game against 2 bombers, Mauler, and Jendon handing out target locks.  It was a lot of fun.

PTL vs VI on Corran is tough to judge, but if I were to play a real tournament, I'd probably do VI too and have to play Corran more conservatively.  Right now having EU+PTL got me out of a LOT of arcs in the game so he only got shot at once (which R2-D2 promptly regenerated).

Corran Horn (48), R2-D2 (4), Fire-Control System (2), PTL (3), Engine Upgrade (4)
Chewbacca (51), Gunner (5), C-3PO (3), Millennium Falcon (1)

If I used VI, I'd probably use R5-P9 and a Shield Upgrade instead of Engine, since I won't get stressed as easily and can do a 4 or 5 move to get away, focus, and regenerate shields.  with R2-D2, I was limited to 3 straight and had to use PTL with EU and barrel roll to get me safe.

Either way, a fun list and great to see someone win Regionals with it.  I'll definitely use it more after my local store tourney next weekend. 

#33 Tiltowait

Tiltowait

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Thoerycrafting here, I believe E-Wing(Corran) and Falcon perhaps has the edge over a Firespray + Phantom build for simple reasons.
Only Republic has options to repair (via R2-D2 and R5-P9).
Corran is the only ship that has the amazing double attack. So when Corran lines up a shot...he can capitalize on it like no one else. Keeping a target in your arc is a challenge, but much easier with the Falcon.

By contrast, while the Firespray and the Phantom are both excellent ships, they are turns when something will be out of arc and they have zero repair capability to make up for a bad round of evade rolls. And as both are less durable than their Republic counterparts, this may be quite telling in an endurance match.

Still I am going to try both myself :D

Imp: 4xSpace Cows, 3xLn, 2xPhantom, 2xInt, 1xAdv, 1xB, 2xDefender, 1xFirespray
Rep: 2xB, 1xX,1xZ-95, 2xE, 1xYT, 1xCR

Always looking for more players in Vegas... :D

#34 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Good points Tiltowait.  While I agree with you, I *think* that the Imperials make up for it with the Phantom's ability to stay out of arc easier than Corran (unless you really kit him out) and having a 4 dice attack and a 4 dice agility (unless Corran gets VI or wins initiative).  Similarly, the Firespray has better agility, which in the end *should* mean better survivability, but now with C3PO, the Falcon is definitely better in a 1 vs 1 fight against a Firespray (it used be be more even).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS