• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

i know this has been done before but there are a lot of new people since i remember this thread being active, so....

what quests do you NEVER play? and why? are they too hard, too boring, or just have you not gotten round to trying it yet?

i never play shadow and flame, its just not ...hmm 'questy' enough for me :D i prefer longer quests, that feel like a journey

also i never play the riddle quest... i tried it with some friends, and we sort of got sick of it, since then i havent tried it again

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

I'm not a big fan of quests which require you to either split the staging area or guess at random card traits.  I don't look forward to the riddles of gollum.

• klaymen_sk and legolas18 like this

#3 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Riddle neither. Nightmare is worse...
Rhosgobel, heal or nothing.
Emyn Muil, Nightmare is better.
Blood of Gondor, insanly difficult in multiplayer.
Into Ihtilien, same.
Cair Andros, same.
I am mostly playing 2 or more, never solo.

• legolas18 likes this

#4 sparrowpisuke

sparrowpisuke

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

I play all the quests (solo), but some a few times.

The quest I've played less often is The Battle of Lake-town.

No x,y,z,n  integers , x,y,z>0 , n>2 | x^n+y^n = z^n

Proof: My margin is very small too...

#5 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

Yeah. I never play this riddle quest. Too random, unless you build for it exclusively. Rhogsobel also, very specific quest. 

I tend to avoid battle and siege quests, while I love them - not every deck will fit.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#6 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'm not a big fan of quests which require you to either split the staging area or guess at random card traits.  I don't look forward to the riddles of gollum.

Pretty much this.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#7 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Riddles in the Dark- just too random and Bilbo dies too easily

Flies and Spiders- also just annoying, the poison gets out of control

Shadow and Flame- just got slammed so much I haven't played it in a long time

Battle of Lake-town- for some reason I still haven't played it even though I've had it forever. I guess I don't look forward to getting smashed by Smaug ;)

• PsychoRocka likes this

#8 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Riddles in the Dark- just too random and Bilbo dies too easily

Flies and Spiders- also just annoying, the poison gets out of control

Shadow and Flame- just got slammed so much I haven't played it in a long time

Battle of Lake-town- for some reason I still haven't played it even though I've had it forever. I guess I don't look forward to getting smashed by Smaug ;)

Pretty much this!! Also don't like the troll hobbit quest as I hate sacks... I play somewhat slower less ally filled decks and focus on a handful of powerful characters moreso so struggle pretty hard against the sacks. Oh and Flight from Moria as well... really don't like the randomness of the quest stages, almost as bad as the riddles in the dark!
Shadow and Flame isn't so bad, as rarely as I do play it i'd honestly rather play it than Flight from Moria or Riddles. Also just wanted to add I don't NEVER play these just very rarely compared to others or only if I feel like playing through the saga in the case of flies and spiders, riddles and the trolls.

• Catastrophic09 likes this

#9 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

I very rarely or never play:

Passage through Mirkwood - Too easy

Journey Down the Anduin - Very good quest but bored to death of it

Conflict at the Carrok - This one is like putting the same puzzle together again every time you play it  

Flight from Moria - I really like this quest.....for some reason I just haven't played it for a while

Road to Rivendell - So boring, however the enemies in this quest are great I think.  

Watcher in the Water - You do not know how much I hate the tentacles.....

Shadow and Flame - ehhh

The siege of cair andros - I built a deck that beat this quest 15 times in a row and two times I had a mumak on the first turn. It was easier than passage through mirkwood.  Haven't played it since.

Blood of Gondor - ehhh I just didn't like it.  

I didn't really like any of the Voice of Isengard quests that much.  I do not play those very often at all.

All the Saga quests I rarely play also.

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#10 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

I didn't like the battle and siege idea from the beginning, i find it to be a really cheap trick to mess with the player decks, it also breaks the "balance" of the game, making some cards really useless and others so much stronger.

so the quests with those 2 keywords are the quest that i play less.

• richsabre likes this

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#11 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

yes i tend to agree i never liked those keywords either

• iznax likes this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#12 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I never play the Black Riders quests.

Because my daughter destroyed one of the encounter cards (well actually it's not completely unusable but is terribly marked). 

However my heart sinks every time I think about using it.

She also got hold of Beravor but fortunately a marked hero isn't really a problem (Also I always intended to get a second core set when they finished all errata on it - so the fact that I have to replace her seems like a future plan).

Apart from that; I usually play my adventures thematically (so if I set out to play the against the shadow cycle I intend to play all 6 adventures). 

This keeps me from choosing the adventures I want to play and helps me to use all the cards I own.

#13 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

I rarely play Escape from Dol Guldur. I have been playing since day one of LoTR LCG, and remember being repeatedly stomped on by that quest. I remember managing to beat it once with only core set cards, but barely, and with lots of lucky draws. 

Once my card pool had expanded significantly, I remember going back to beat it once or twice for good measure. But, I still stay away from it and won't play it unless someone in my playgroup really, really wants to. It is also the one nightmare deck that I have not tried...

With respect to Escape from Dol Guldur, trust me, "I've seen some ****, man."

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#14 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

I rarely play Escape from Dol Guldur. I have been playing since day one of LoTR LCG, and remember being repeatedly stomped on by that quest. I remember managing to beat it once with only core set cards, but barely, and with lots of lucky draws. 

Once my card pool had expanded significantly, I remember going back to beat it once or twice for good measure. But, I still stay away from it and won't play it unless someone in my playgroup really, really wants to. It is also the one nightmare deck that I have not tried...

With respect to Escape from Dol Guldur, trust me, "I've seen some ****, man."

As punishing as it is I really like the nightmare version of this quest, great mechanics. I don't find Dol Guldur so hard with the expanded card pool anymore, that is as long as the captured hero isn't someone integral to your team or a hero who is the only on his team of a certain sphere thereby rendering that sphere unplayable.....

#15 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

I very rarely or never play:

Passage through Mirkwood - Too easy

Journey Down the Anduin - Very good quest but bored to death of it

Conflict at the Carrok - This one is like putting the same puzzle together again every time you play it  

Flight from Moria - I really like this quest.....for some reason I just haven't played it for a while

Road to Rivendell - So boring, however the enemies in this quest are great I think.  

Watcher in the Water - You do not know how much I hate the tentacles.....

Shadow and Flame - ehhh

The siege of cair andros - I built a deck that beat this quest 15 times in a row and two times I had a mumak on the first turn. It was easier than passage through mirkwood.  Haven't played it since.

Blood of Gondor - ehhh I just didn't like it.  

I didn't really like any of the Voice of Isengard quests that much.  I do not play those very often at all.

All the Saga quests I rarely play also.

Wow.... thats like 21 quests you've listed, almost half the quests to date =\

• Dain Ironfoot likes this

#16 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

With around 40 quests available now, and limited playtime, almost all of the quests are on my "rarely played" list.  When I do sit down for a game, I almost always make it a point to go back and play one I haven't done for awhile.  But I do actively avoid Into Ithilien, too many bad memories...

Edited by GrandSpleen, 04 August 2014 - 07:30 PM.

• Rapier, jormungandr and Dain Ironfoot like this

#17 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

With around 40 quests available now, and limited playtime, almost all of the quests are on my "rarely played" list.  When I do sit down for a game, I almost make it a point to go back and play one I haven't done for awhile.  But I do actively avoid Into Ithilien, too many bad memories...

I remember my first time ever playing that quest and getting to stage 3; The Hidden Way. Within a round on that stage I was like wait what.... like half this particular encounter deck is enemies and not only do they not engage me but I can't even engage one a turn like on JdtA? This is goddamn broken and insanely hard. I then did not beat the quest for a very very long time. Now I ALWAYS let Celador die and do stage 2 instead, infinitely easier.

#18 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

With limited playtime, almost all of the quests are on my "rarely played" list.  

There is your reason why I have 21 quests on my rarely play list.  I don't understand where people get so much time to play everyday......

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#19 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

I don't have much time to play at the moment, but when I do play I find I rearly play the core quests, the Mirkwood cycle, Against the shadow cycle (except Stewards fear), the Voice of Isenguard quests, or many of the Hobbit quests.

I just don't find the recent quests as interesting as some of the ones from a couple of years ago.

I tend to find myself going back to old favourites, like Khazadum, Moria, Heirs, Riders...

But that could also be because i haven't found the time to explroe new deckbuilding for quite a while, so much of the player card pool from the last year or two i haven't used.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS