Photo

Trench run scenario battle report - consider me re-bitten by the bug!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

Been nearly a year now since I have had both the time and inclination to crack out the x-wing stuff to play a game. Thanks to Dagobah Dave for creating a brilliant and fun Trench run scenario, I feel the bug has bitten again! :)

Not so long ago, on a tabletop pretty close to me.......

Rebels were off to a good start and soon took out a couple of Turbo Turrets. All started to go **** up for them when the first two X-wings began their run on the exhaust port. The time wasted dealing with the towers had allowed Vader and a tie wingman to reach the trench and they were hot on their trail following the discarded mcD wrappers from porkins ship. Alas, Porkins chubby girth and insatiable appetite was his downfall and as Vader locked on to his ship, Jek, trying to pull some evasive manoeuvres, knocked over an XL Banana milkshake, it's milky goodness wrecking his main console. His last moments as his ship exploded were spent licking his fingers clean of the sugary delight. let us salute him...its the way he would have wanted to go!
Vader Chuckled to himself and even had time to sort his in-flight Star Trek DVD collection into chronological order before blasting the poor Rookie pilot into a bazillion pieces. Huzzaaaah!
Meanwhile, back up top things were not going well for the rest of the Rebel forces, the remaining turrets had done a good job of weakening the Allied squadrons and the Tie's began to pick them off with impunity, the superior handling of the Imperial ships proving their worth weaving around the obstructions the surface of the Deathstar presented. The Rebels put up a good fight sending two Ties to a fiery death and putting the clock back but only delaying the inevitable. Luke, forgetting the fact that he may be awesome at murdering defenceless rodents but Imperial ships can shoot back, flew right into the path of several tie fighters, KABOOM! 'take that, on behalf of the Womp rat preservation society' the Imperial pilot screamed over the intercom. Vader breathed a sigh of relief as he could now avoid that awkward Father/son/sister talk he had been dredding.
One X-wing remained! He managed to start his trench run followed by 2 ties and Vader! It wasn't look good at all, suddenly Han and the Falcon appeared from nowhere laying down a barrage of fire on the two pursuing Imperial ships....and doing absolutely nothing! 'You're on your own kid...I just heard Leia turn the shower on, Chewy n me are off to perv. Make sure those Hydraulic doors in the cargo compartment are tied down Chewy or the H&S will do their nut' were his last words as the Falcon disappeared into the darkness of space. This was it, the last remaining X-wing tore down the trench, blasting a turret into oblivion. Only 2 turns before the Deathstar was into firing position and the Tie fighters opened up, the x-wing dodged fire from one but took damage from the other. The critical damage destroying the Proton torpedoes....gah! Game over! A victory for the Empire!

And they're off!
Trenchrun2_zps5cf3c8a7.jpg

Porkins and a rookie go for the port, Vader in hot pursuit!
Trenchrun3_zps6018bd3f.jpg

Stay on target...stay on targ.....KABOOOOOM!
Trenchrun6_zps6d58c6e0.jpg

Doesn't look good for the remaining rookie in the trench...
Trenchrun9_zpsf6f15009.jpg

It wasn't! Vader chalks two kills in two turns, that dude is smooooking
Trenchrun10_zps8bed6a2c.jpg

Luke, I am your fath....oh, never mind
Trenchrun11_zps2cc70abd.jpg

I'm totally useless kid....your on your own!
Trenchrun12_zps47c60d6f.jpg

Some of the components for the Trench run, surface is a buyable PDF to print, large turrets you can pick up from ebay, just cut 'em out and build 'em. Exhaust port was originally going to be a simple round token then I spotted the bits box and had a half hour rainman moment! I rustled up the timer just for a little fun bling
Trenchrun1_zps56afe08c.jpg

See, if they had built it square the x-wings would have just overshot on the corners....take note Empire...
LargeBorgCube2_zps6868bb22.jpg
  • DagobahDave, Patriarch, oneway and 3 others like this

#2 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

Nice!    Looks like fun!

#3 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

It's a very well put together scenario. You can always tell a good game by what people say while you are packing up. No one was whining giving it the 'no chance of winning, too hard for us/them'. It was all 'NEXT time we will do it this way or that way' all players were wanting to jump right back in there. I reckon if we had the time we would have just set it right back up and played another game back to back.

In short I would definitely recommend it!
  • DagobahDave likes this

#4 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

man, i want to do this too ><

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#5 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

It's a very well put together scenario. You can always tell a good game by what people say while you are packing up. No one was whining giving it the 'no chance of winning, too hard for us/them'. It was all 'NEXT time we will do it this way or that way' all players were wanting to jump right back in there. I reckon if we had the time we would have just set it right back up and played another game back to back.

In short I would definitely recommend it!

Thank you! I designed that mission to be tough but winnable. The Rebels are the underdogs and probably won't win the first time. The second time you play the scenario, the Imperials should be confident and smug, and while the Rebels are still underdogs they should have a much better attack plan. Both teams should feel like they have truly earned their victory by the end of that second game.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#6 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

Where are the rules for this?

#7 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

There are at least a couple of trench run scenario rules floating around.

My scenario is here:

http://www.outworld-...hs-DSTR-v01.pdf

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#8 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Can you give more info on where to find those turrets on eBay?

#9 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hi knuckle. Go into ebay and type...wait for it....wait for it....'turbo turret' into the search engine, should be one of the first to come up. Seller cruizin_central. Hope this helps

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS