The Quenya challenge

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

Now I´m hoping someone in here has the same interest in Quenya as I do, otherwise this will be a rather one-sided challenge :P

I recently finished a self-help course in learning the Tolkenian language of Quenya (a dialect of elvish) so thought I would try my skill at creating a letter from the mythology. A course is fine to learn the basics but something like this should be trialed or it will wither.

If someone feels up to try and translate it and, more importantly, I have succeeded in making myself understood, that would be really cool. I should say that I purposefully have made the choice to try out some different grammatical compositions, the better to test myself.

I will post my english version of the letter in a few days for comparison.

And a final note: The last word "camda" is not an official word. But lacking one from the sources I used, I instead opted to make this word out of the words "(ca)nta", "ra(m)ba" and "pan(da)".

quenya-letter.jpg

Have fun (hopefully)

• richsabre, Nickpes and PsychoRocka like this

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:39 AM

i cant understand it (unfortunatly :(   ) but i liked this post for your awesome dedication!

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

And I thank you for your attention, Rich :)

Hantanyel = I give thanks to you (or just thank you)

• richsabre likes this

#4 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Are the first two words something relating to "Faithful Friend?"

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#5 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

Are the first two words something relating to "Faithful Friend?"

Indeed they are :)

More precisely "My Steadfast Friend" (steadfast according to the source I used; guess faithful works equally fine)

#6 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

i can not help you.. and while learning Klingon or elvish is about the same level of crazy, I also think it is pretty cool. I like crazy.

Can you write in the script as well?
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#7 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

i can not help you.. and while learning Klingon or elvish is about the same level of crazy, I also think it is pretty cool. I like crazy.

Can you write in the script as well?

Thanks Booored, I´ll take "crazy in a good way" as a compliment ;)

I haven´t gotten to writing in Tengwar yet but have been contemplating a course in that as well once I am more confident in the basics. No need to rush it :)

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

oh by the way, where did you learn it?:)

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#9 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

A norwegian Tolkien-linguist named Helge K Fauskanger.

He does not permit to repost the course elsewhere but you should be able to find it by doing a quick google search if interested.

For his Tolkien language page:

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/

• richsabre likes this

#10 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I´ll take "crazy in a good way" as a compliment ;)

It is, but you know.. It IS crazy.
  • richsabre likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#11 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

As promised here is the english version of the letter:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Steadfast Friend

I write to thee with a heart darkened by evil knowledge.
The Enemy is moving and we are forced to act swiftly or all will be lost.
Furthermore the weapon of the Enemy has been found and that gives us a chance to strike first.
For this reason I am summoning all free peoples to Imladris to decide (judge) the best path to travel in coming days.
We will meet on the 25th of october.

Be thee here or thee be square.

E
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually found a fault myself with one of the first words "tecien" from the stem "tec-" ("to write"), should have been just "tecin". Might not seem like much but at the least it makes the sentence gibberish and at the worst it can make it mean that "in order to write you I must darken my heart with evil knowledge".
As for my made-up word "camda" --> "square" it consists, as I mentioned, of the words canta (four), ramba (wall) and panda (enclosure).

• legolas18 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS