Advanced Cloaking Device with no attack opportunity

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

As I interpret it, if I am unable to attempt an attack (e.g, no target in front arc), then ACD's ability which triggers on "after you perform an attack" cannot trigger, and thus I cannot recloak.

Is this interpretation correct, or did I miss some weird clause regarding trigger conditions.

#2 TezzasGames

TezzasGames

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

Correct!

• VanorDM likes this

Play X-Wing at Tezza's Games Shop.

60 Palmerston Street, Melton, Victoria, Australia.

Tezza's Games Facebook

We also sell and play lots of other games, including Conquest, Diskwars and X-Wing!

#3 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

Sadly this is exactly what caused the death of my Phantom on it's first outing. Decloaked, moved and ended with Chewie just out of my arc - no attack, no cloak. Then the walking carpet one-shot me.

• Plainsman likes this

Rick   -   Hastings, New Zealand

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

Scum & Villainy: 2 Z-95 (planned), 1 Y-Wing (planned) + 1 HWK-290, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Firespray-31 (ready to go)

#4 Plainsman

Plainsman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Sadly this is exactly what caused the death of my Phantom on it's first outing. Decloaked, moved and ended with Chewie just out of my arc - no attack, no cloak. Then the walking carpet one-shot me.

Yep, the danger of the "glass hammer!" If it doesn't get to hit and cloak, it may shatter! High PS on the Phantom helps keep it facing the right way for a shot.

Plainsman :) plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com
Imperials: Ties x 5, Interceptors x 5, Advanced x 1, Bombers x 2, Defenders x 2, Phantoms x 5, Firespray x 1, Shuttle x 1
Rebels: XWings x 4, YWings x 2, BWing x 2, AWing x 2, EWing x 2, Z95 x 3, YT1300 x 2, HWK290 x 2, GR75 x 1,
CR90 x 1

#5 Ryther

Ryther

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

If you have no shot, why not recloak? Also, ACD is really only good on Whisper or Echo, so you should have been moving after chewy. How did you not get him in arc with a barrel roll? Correctly flown, a phantom should either have a shot or a cloak every turn. Sometimes, a decloak action isn't your best option. Phantoms take practice to use well. Keep working on it and you'll get the hang of it.

"Truth suffers from too much analysis."

Frank Herbert

#6 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

If you have no shot, why not recloak?

There are multiple possible reasons:

1. Lower PS than the target, which you are hoping will move into your LOF

2. You have a shot, but due to unexpected luck a higher PS pilot takes out the target first

3. After moving and barrel roll, target is still _just_ out of arc.  In tournament settings you can't pre-measure for a barrel roll, and once declared you can't switch to a different action.

#7 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

I had Echo with ACD, It was the decloak that I got wrong. With the placement of my other two ships slightly ahead and to each side of Echo, I decided to Decloak to the rear with the 2-bank. Decloaked, moved forward, then boosted and just couldn't get Chewie in arc. No attack, no ACD recloak. Ended about an inch away from certain death.

The next game I swapped out Echo for Whisper and much better success. It's just going to take some more flying time to get used to.

Imperials: 3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

Scum & Villainy: 2 Z-95 (planned), 1 Y-Wing (planned) + 1 HWK-290, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Firespray-31 (ready to go)

#8 Ryther

Ryther

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

What I am saying is that he was talking about missing chewy, and chewy would move before Echo. So you would know if you had a shot after decloacking and moving. To see if you will have arc after a barrel roll all you have to do is look down your arc to where the ship is equal, and see if a two move would get there. Visualizing the arc is not super easy, but it can be done with practice. If it doesn't look like that will work then recloak and wait for the prime shot. Phantoms are a cat and mouse game. Wait for the prime shot. If you aren't sure you have the shot it is better to be safe than sorry.

"Truth suffers from too much analysis."

Frank Herbert

#9 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

This was the very first game I played with the Phantom. The decloak put Chewie out of arc, so I declared a banking boost thinking that would bring me round just far enough and I was millimetres out. Couldn't take it back as the Phantom didn't overlap anything and had to be placed. If it had have worked, I would have had a 5 dice shot and then cloaked. Just an unlucky miscalculation, and I paid the price. But that's what it's all about. The next game with Whisper, I finally got the hang of it.

• ObiBen likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS