And our next hero is..

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

I like her a lot.  She is a truly well-rounded spirit hero - the first really.  She's higher threat, but her stats and traits make her a great anchor hero who serves as the backbone of your lineup, able to effectively pull double or triple duty when possible.  Her ability is very nice and given spirit's location control and questing abilities, she shouldn't be too hard to build around. 

• Catastrophic09 likes this

#42 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Part of me feels like the 3 attack strength is just too much, given her ability. I think that she would have still been amazing, yet more balanced, at 2 attack strength, the other stats staying as they are.

I definitely see where you are coming from here.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#43 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

No, 3 attack is just right. We already have a spirit 2-attacker, and he's not used well. 

About her ability: you have to be a little tricky about it. Timing location exploring and stuff. First what comes to mind is Legolas, but there is tons of others to go around. 

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#44 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Part of me feels like the 3 attack strength is just too much, given her ability. I think that she would have still been amazing, yet more balanced, at 2 attack strength, the other stats staying as they are. 

Stats on heroes almost always receive balance through starting threat. She is weaker than Prince Imrahil (as I explained), though her presence in the Spirit sphere makes her more powerful in a way. I see nothing that indicates to me that she is unbalanced.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#45 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

I'd be interested in hearing some hero line-ups that feature her.

I'm running through the list of possibilities, and trying out some options, but have not landed on anything that really clicks for me.

Any thoughts?
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#46 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

I definitely see where you are coming from here.

I just feel like 3 attack strength starts to depart from the theme of the Spirit sphere a little bit. With 2 attack strength, if she readies when a location is explored, then she could add to the attack strength of another Spirit hero, and that would help Spirit at least be able to deliver some 3-4 attack strength blows against enemies. I think that her being able to quest and then provide a sort of "attack support" would have been good enough. 3 attack strength just feels a little bit much for Spirit, and I feel departs slightly from the theme of the sphere. 

Edited by divinityofnumber, 23 July 2014 - 03:27 PM.

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#47 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Legolas can ready her during Combat.

Denethor could boost her chances of readying.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#48 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

I'm running through the list of possibilities, and trying out some options, but have not landed on anything that really clicks for me.

Any thoughts?

My suggestion (totally untested) would be Idraen with Glorfindel and Loragorn. Lots of location control of course (including the new Warden of Arnor and greyflood wanderer), rumour from the earth + wingfoot for Aragorn, alongside LoV on Glorfindel and location exploring stuff gives a lot of action advantage. For the rest, standard Lore and Spirit stuff, with emphasis on Rangers and traps to control enemies as well as locations. Seems pretty plausible in theory.   

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#49 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

I would agree that 3 was too much attack for her if there were like ANY other Spirit attack options other than Glorfindel. I've been playing mono blue a lot recently and you have Glorfindel, the Trackers who you'd rather be questing with, Elfhelm, and Damrod. Leadership sometimes has a similar problem but at least they have For Gondor! and some big heroes to at least temporarily boost to where you can kill stuff. Blue needed someone else. One extra decent attacker won't push them over the edge or put them in Tactics' zone or anything like that.

• Narsil0420, Raven1015 and joezim007 like this

#50 DC06675

DC06675

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Any thoughts?

My suggestion (totally untested) would be Idraen with Glorfindel and Loragorn. Lots of location control of course (including the new Warden of Arnor and greyflood wanderer), rumour from the earth + wingfoot for Aragorn, alongside LoV on Glorfindel and location exploring stuff gives a lot of action advantage. For the rest, standard Lore and Spirit stuff, with emphasis on Rangers and traps to control enemies as well as locations. Seems pretty plausible in theory.   

I thought of the same three heroes, only for purposes of lower starting threat and more access to card draw I switched loragorn for Beravor. And because I like to play solo two-handed I thought Elladan, Legolas and Elrohir would be a good team to go with it, especially with the new elf mail card. 

• PsychoRocka likes this

#51 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Any thoughts?

I thought of the same three heroes, only for purposes of lower starting threat and more access to card draw I switched loragorn for Beravor. And because I like to play solo two-handed I thought Elladan, Legolas and Elrohir would be a good team to go with it, especially with the new elf mail card.

Yeah, my first deck with her was with, Beravor and Spirit Glorfindel, and then was thinking Aragorn lore. Seems like we all thought similarly on that. It was mediocre for solo play.

But after that, i'm kind of stumped on where she fits in. Would love to hear some other players thoughts. At this point I don't think she is the type of hero that fits into a lot of different types of decks, but we'll see as more player cards are revealed.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#52 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

I just feel like 3 attack strength starts to depart from the theme of the Spirit sphere a little bit. With 2 attack strength, if she readies when a location is explored, then she could add to the attack strength of another Spirit hero, and that would help Spirit at least be able to deliver some 3-4 attack strength blows against enemies. I think that her being able to quest and then provide a sort of "attack support" would have been good enough. 3 attack strength just feels a little bit much for Spirit, and I feel departs slightly from the theme of the sphere.

Ok, so you were talking about balance between the spheres. Overall, I tend to feel like Spirit is the strongest sphere already, and giving it access to more characters that improve their combat abilities is only making the gap wider. In that sense, I totally agree with you.

If you put her in any other sphere she'd feel more balanced that way, but the trigger for her readying ability would feel out of place. Also, if her attack is lowered, she wouldn't have any "good" stats and her ability to ready would become weaker.

Overall, I feel that she is fine the way she is. I don't particularly like that she gives the Spirit sphere more of an advantage, but I can deal with it. Since it's a cooperative game, it's not like making one sphere noticeably stronger than the rest will make the game less playable. It just makes you want to use Spirit more.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#53 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I think if they build on the Ranger and/or Scout and/or Dunedain traits a little more, she could probably fit better into decks designed for one or more of those traits. So Faramir, Aragorn, Beravor, or the twins would work. Right now, though, I think you're right that she doesn't have any particular synergy with other heroes.

#54 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

@Tracker: Then maybe you could try mono-Spirit, I think she can work great with Caldara and Glorfindel. Add in some location exploring stuff that you probably had in the original deck, and there you go.

• Tracker1 likes this

#55 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Any thoughts?

in my head, i'm thinking eomer, imrahil, and her.

horn of gondor, steward of gondor, and errand riders to smooth resources.

popping allies to clear locations (hello, riddermark's finest) to ready imrahil, pump up eomer, and ready our newest hero.

we'll see how it goes...

• Tracker1 likes this

#56 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Any thoughts?

popping allies to clear locations (hello, riddermark's finest) to ready imrahil, pump up eomer, and ready our newest hero.

we'll see how it goes...

That's a high starting threat!

#57 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Any thoughts?

we'll see how it goes...

That's a high starting threat!

so? ;)

#58 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Why isn't she limited? Why Imrahil is limited once per round while she not? It would be more consequent she would be limited like Imrahil.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#59 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

Why isn't she limited? Why Imrahil is limited once per round while she not? It would be more consequent she would be limited like Imrahil.

b/c typically you only clear 1 location per turn, you can lose/pop allies at will.

• joezim007 likes this

#60 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

b/c typically you only clear 1 location per turn, you can lose/pop allies at will.

Not to say that you CAN'T get her ability to trigger more often, but most of those are going to happen during staging, and it's not easy to consistently clear multiple locations per round.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS