Photo

Strain, strain, strain, strain, STRAINITY STRAIN, WONDERFUL STRAIN!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bsmith23

bsmith23

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

So the question is about srtain. I have inflicted it very little on my players so far, and so many talents help to recover it. What are some creative ways to pass along some strain to the players. One thing I'm thinking about doing is using it more with threats and npc advantages in combat which if I remember right happens in the BBoxes. I am getting ready to run them through BTR and JOY.

#2 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

I use it both in and out of combat.  Any threat can cause strain, like negotiating with a Hutt...

• Ghostofman and Ranger1060 like this

#3 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

So the question is about srtain. I have inflicted it very little on my players so far, and so many talents help to recover it. What are some creative ways to pass along some strain to the players. One thing I'm thinking about doing is using it more with threats and npc advantages in combat which if I remember right happens in the BBoxes. I am getting ready to run them through BTR and JOY.

It's actually a pretty balanced mechanic imo, particularly once combat specs advance into their trees.  They start doing a juggling act between wanting to trigger 2 or 3 ranks of Frenzied Attack on every attack or using Dodge every time they are shot at.  Couple that with just the typical 2 maneuvers a turn and it gets eaten up quickly.  If you want to up the intensity a bit it is worth considering in a great many situations people actually want to capture adversaries for questioning and such, so a couple three stun grenades every now and again can raise the stakes nicely.

• Ranger1060 likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#4 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

my one problem with strain is that it is separate from wounds.    But I have learned to give it out freely as "stress" to players

I also do not like that System strain takes so long to recover.  1 a day? for some ships that could mean weeks

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 8/9/14 'Beyond the Rim: Prologue'

Last Update 8/22/14

#5 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

I also do not like that System strain takes so long to recover.  1 a day? for some ships that could mean weeks

That's if you just a let a ship self repair.  The Damage Control Action can be used once a turn, per character, for 1 Strain point, during an encounter.  In my mind that means out of combat if the crew simply conducts maintenance the ship recovers its Strain just like characters recover theirs.

• Col. Orange, whafrog, Aluminium Falcon and 1 other like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#6 Naglareph

Naglareph

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

My players learned the hard way how strain was supposed to be used.

After using up most of their threshold during the whole scenario (in and out of fights).

They happened to meet with a imperial officer and started fighting his stoormtrooper squad.

In less of three rounds all of them were out uncounscious, while the stormtroopers didn't even use paralyzing shots.

The PC's didn't have enough strain to use their abilities and to compensate for the ennemies threats.

In the end we had two death later on...

But that was in an imperial prison.

May the Force be with you.

I II III IV V VI

#7 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:44 AM

Environment - causes it..  also drops wookies quicker... I love strain.

• Jamwes likes this

Be well,

Sham

#8 Orjo Creld

Orjo Creld

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hard to keep track of strain, but it is a great mechanic that help drive the narrative

#9 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Also encourage your players to make use of strain as a resource. That extra maneuver can mean a lot.

• aim twice
  • move, then aim
  • draw weapon, then aim
  • move twice

... etc. Each of those maneuver choices can be really useful and the PCs will have to exert themselves at 2 strain a pop.

Environment

Keep in mind the environment the PCs are in.

I like to put my PCs in harsh environments--hot deserts, cold mountains, humid swamps, etc. Each of these is a justification for adding strain to the whole party. It also helps Talents like "Resolve" come in handy, reducing the amount of strain that player suffers.

We've had several cases where the PCs were in a city with limited credits and they had to decide between walking an hour across town or spending money to hire a transport. Usually it's a tradeoff between strain and credits. Walking across town on a hot day incurs strain.

Fear checks

Put your characters into frightening, stressful situations, and have them make Discipline checks to avoid the effects of Fear.

• meeting a Hutt crimelord
  • running into a powerful legendary bounty hunter
  • ambushed by a squad of Stormtroopers
  • caught in an avalanche
  • hear the roar of a rancor approaching

Failing the Discipline check can incur a Setback die throughout the encounter, plus just cause the characters to suffer 2 strain (again, reduced by Resolve and the like).

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. Hope this helps!

• Ranger1060 likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#10 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

If you have an overpowered Wookie hired gun in your group with 20+ wound, and you want to be cruel to your players, have your adversaries shoot the Wookie with the stun setting of their blasters :)  Wookies tend to be really short on strain, at least compared to their wound.

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.1.0, Released 9/12/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#11 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

If you have an overpowered Wookie hired gun in your group with 20+ wound, and you want to be cruel to your players, have your adversaries shoot the Wookie with the stun setting of their blasters :)  Wookies tend to be really short on strain, at least compared to their wound.

Which is why Wookiee Doctors and Scholars can be so dangerous with their ranks of Resolve, and all that extra Grit. ;-)

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS