Noob GM question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RobertLoblaw

RobertLoblaw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

I have 3 players and we are all very new to this and RPGs in general. Do you think that extremely low (really low) characters can beat a Rancor in battle? The reason I ask this question is because I don't want to murder the characters that they just created. Should I save this story I created for a later time? Thank you for your input.

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Not without really big guns, and not if it hits them.

• Ranger1060 likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

Or narrative effects, after all that's how Luke did it.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#4 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Just MHO, but it's more a question of "do you want to let them?"  Killing a rancor at low levels, while it might seem okay at the time, kind of takes the threat away and is anti-climactic.  Of course, it depends how they do it:  if they trick it and run into its cell and then throw a rock at the door controls to crush it with the heavy door, then sure!

--edit:  beaten by Ghostofman!

On a related note, I'm not sure the rules really do it justice.  I'm away-from-book at the moment, but any movement a rancor makes is going to bowl people over and injure them incidentally without the rancor even trying.  Not sure that's reflected in the rules.

Edited by whafrog, 22 July 2014 - 08:25 PM.

• Aservan likes this

#5 RobertLoblaw

RobertLoblaw

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

This good info. I will save this story for a later date. Thank you.

#6 RLogue177

RLogue177

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

You gotta know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away, and know when to run.

I often tell my players, no matter what we're playing, not all encounters are meant to be a firefight. The rancor encounter could be a test of stealth, or it could just be a "wow" moment, something to observe.  It could also be an encounter where you want the players to be creative and think outside the box for a way to "defeat" it.  Maybe they can somehow use the rancor to help defeat another enemy.

If they choose to engage the rancor with battle, give them a solid hint that it may be way too dangerous at this stage of the game for them. But let them do it anyway if they really want to, of course. New characters don't take long to roll up.  ;)

• Col. Orange and whafrog like this

#7 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

if they are willing to outsmart it, then yes

if they just want to try to go toe to toe and kill it, then no

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 8/9/14 'Beyond the Rim: Prologue'

Last Update 8/22/14

#8 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

Also keep in mind, that placing a rancor in the way doesn't mean it has to be fought.  There are many ways to get around a rancor without actually attacking it.  In EtoE, the whole experience is getting to "point B", how you get there is just adding cookies to the picnic. 

Be well,

Sham

#9 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

Lastly, exceeding your wound threshold does not mean character death. It means you take a critical hit and fall unconscious. With that being said, I wouldn't know what would stop a Rancor from just gobbling you up at that point. That would be up to the narrative.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS