Slightly crafty storage solution

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Earthworm

Earthworm

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

I’m converting to matchboxes to store my ships, including dials and bases.  I had been keeping them in the original clamshells in a wine case box, but that was really inefficient, and got clumsy to dig things out, and I had to keep dials separately.  My computer skills are not great, but I generated the box templates from templatemaker.nl and then assembled the images using gimp and MSpaint.  The Tie fighter just sits in a snug box within a box, while I made a riser for the peg extension on the bottom of the X-wing.  Both have survived a vigorous shaking by my youngest, who is 18 months old.

bd983071-d4e9-429d-ac51-07908e08bc9d_zps

I’m also working on boxes to store cards and tokens:

5b0a4189-c396-4d06-a9cb-d02dab6c2e2f_zps

The card box is done using scans of the back of the Imperial pilot card, and again some MS paint addition of the Star Destroyer.  http://tuckbox.gameupdates.com/ will generate a printable template with the images already assembled, if you have separate files for front, sides, etc.
The matchbox for focus tokens is done from templatemaker.nl, VASSAL screenshots and MSPaint.

Edited by Earthworm, 22 July 2014 - 06:31 PM.

• Dokasamurp, gabe69velasquez, DrStranglovin and 2 others like this

#2 DrStranglovin

DrStranglovin

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Very nice. I can dig it. Cudos

#3 Lordtwann

Lordtwann

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Pretty cool.

#4 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

huh. Pretty neat, but I feel like having every ship stored individually would be hell to set up/pack up. Still, it all looks very nice, and props for the McQuarrie concept box

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 VT-49

#5 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

I like these a lot. Very clean and functional.

#6 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

it does one thing though, keeps all the pieces together with the model.  

I do this specifically with the baseplates.  The shields and other stuff I just keep together.  

I alos keep only 10 TLs and another 8 rubber band wrapped for easy grabbing.  and only IDs 1 to 11.  

Keep the rest of the tokens stored in another box cuz 99% don't need them.  

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#7 Earthworm

Earthworm

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

The experience that drove me to combine all the pieces into one storage box for each ship came when an informal opportunity to play X-wing came up with my wife and some friends.  We're into games such as settlers,but when this opportunity came up I struggled to set up a game without bringing out boxes and cases of stuff, that I had to direct people in assembling and putting together.  My wife observed that I spent most of the game getting stuff out or putting it away, and since she has a limited tolerance for complicated games, or for my strange hobbies, I fear I missed my opportunity to get her into the game.

My goal is to be able to play a simple pickup game by pulling out specific boxes that are self explanatory to newcomers and then being done with setup.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS