Co-Op Forgotten Souls Now Available !!!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

I feel like it'd be too difficult to incorporate the co-op into the Quest Vault. It's a really cool idea, though... and I hope they put out more support for the co-op stuff.
  • spalanzani likes this

#42 Maverick87

Maverick87

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Just got my copy this morning. I cannot wait to bust it out and play!

#43 ilikegames

ilikegames

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Just played 1st time last night. Mixed reviews from players (three of us - all Warhammer Quest Vets.)

We wanted to play this version as it seemed like a nice break from OL vs players style and we like the descent hero class skill system.

All three of us agree that this is definitely a "demo version" of the game to be played once at Gen-Con.

This is by no means a co-op version of the full game, but rather a one off adventure that seems to have limited re-playability.

I say this as a warning for those of you who are on the fence about dropping the $50+ to get it over seas.

Take a look at the back of the rule book (http://www.fantasyfl...CO-OP_Rules.pdf) the last couple pages are the encounters. Each one is scripted with limited variability from the peril cards, you'd essentially run the same dungeon (with rooms in different order) over and over. This module only uses 4 monsters (barghests, zombies, flesh moulders, and shadow dragons) with the same set up in each of the encounters. As there are only 8 encounter (or dungeon room cards), 3 main encounter cards, and a starting card games became very repetitive. Monster activation cards are neat as it give some variability as to how the monsters act, but it would have been better to have monster cards with different monsters and perhaps add in some lieutenants as well- with all the treasure we had, the finial room was breezy!

To conclude:

What forgotten souls is:

A way to introduce Descent to new players with no worry about OL.

A nice one off adventure to be played co-op once.

What Forgotten Souls is not:

An entirely new way to play Descent co-op.

Forgotten Souls does not give players the ability to play quests in quest book co-op.

• any2cards, keschnell, Carbini and 2 others like this

#44 Lord of the Dungeon

Lord of the Dungeon

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Just played 1st time last night. Mixed reviews from players (three of us - all Warhammer Quest Vets.)
We wanted to play this version as it seemed like a nice break from OL vs players style and we like the descent hero class skill system.
All three of us agree that this is definitely a "demo version" of the game to be played once at Gen-Con.
This is by no means a co-op version of the full game, but rather a one off adventure that seems to have limited re-playability.
I say this as a warning for those of you who are on the fence about dropping the $50+ to get it over seas.
Take a look at the back of the rule book (http://www.fantasyfl...CO-OP_Rules.pdf) the last couple pages are the encounters. Each one is scripted with limited variability from the peril cards, you'd essentially run the same dungeon (with rooms in different order) over and over. This module only uses 4 monsters (barghests, zombies, flesh moulders, and shadow dragons) with the same set up in each of the encounters. As there are only 8 encounter (or dungeon room cards), 3 main encounter cards, and a starting card games became very repetitive. Monster activation cards are neat as it give some variability as to how the monsters act, but it would have been better to have monster cards with different monsters and perhaps add in some lieutenants as well- with all the treasure we had, the finial room was breezy!
To conclude:
What forgotten souls is:
A way to introduce Descent to new players with no worry about OL.
A nice one off adventure to be played co-op once.

What Forgotten Souls is not:
An entirely new way to play Descent co-op.
Forgotten Souls does not give players the ability to play quests in quest book co-op.

I agree with you...
I hope that they will release more co-op expansions (maybe with real campaigns) in the future. Forgotten Souls is a very good start and a solid basement to build something great on it. I don't think that FF should eliminate the OL at all, but they shall consider the idea of making both classic expansions and full co-op expansions.
Sometimes is fine for us playing with an Over Lord in the game... But not always, and after having tasted the possibility of playing all together vs the game in such a great gaming system... Well, we want more of it :D
  • spalanzani and aggerhomes like this

#45 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

I would love to buy this, but its 14$ for the coop expansion... and 21$ for shipping to the EU and then the EU will add another 20% in taxes and probably another 30-50% in fees :(

Not going to pay 50$ for this, its too bad this will never get to europe since its a print on demand.

You could always see if anyone in your area is heading to Gen Con and willing to sacrifice a little luggage space for you.

Like I said before, I was waiting for one of the places with whom I do an enormous amount of business to get it.  I have ordered it from CSI for $11.99 with no shipping charges.  Far better than $20-$30.  :P

I'm not familiar with this CSI you speak of. Have a link?

#46 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

I would love to buy this, but its 14$ for the coop expansion... and 21$ for shipping to the EU and then the EU will add another 20% in taxes and probably another 30-50% in fees :(

Not going to pay 50$ for this, its too bad this will never get to europe since its a print on demand.

You could always see if anyone in your area is heading to Gen Con and willing to sacrifice a little luggage space for you.

Like I said before, I was waiting for one of the places with whom I do an enormous amount of business to get it.  I have ordered it from CSI for $11.99 with no shipping charges.  Far better than $20-$30.  :P

I'm not familiar with this CSI you speak of. Have a link?

CSI = CoolStuffInc ==> http://www.coolstuffinc.com/

EDIT: Note that it is especially a good deal for me as I do not pay any shipping charges due to the amount of business I do with them.  In addition, as you purchases stuff from them, you earn discounts (percentages off).

EDIT #2: Just noticed that this product changed from available to pre-order.  My guess is that CSI does not have it yet.  Oh well ... more waiting.

Edited by any2cards, 01 August 2014 - 04:50 AM.

#47 Sam Prater

Sam Prater

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Ordered mine today, maybe they will make all of the game night kits where they can intertwine. That way it you can add a lot of variety.
  • Lord of the Dungeon likes this

#48 Whitewing

Whitewing

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Just played through it. We won without a single death in our team, but there were a couple of close calls and some really good luck with loot. I feel like it depends a fair amount on the luck involved with the room ordering. We hit act 2 and immediately ran into the trash heap with 2 shadow dragons, and got immensely lucky the master dragon missed on his first attack (would have hit us all for around 10 damage with fire breath if the blue die hadn't been an X).

It feels like the entire thing is about optimizing your actions and doing things as quickly as possible, so we went with a group based on stamina regen. Had Augur Grissom as the bard, High Mage Quellen as the Runemaster (MVP, he kept Tharn immobilized the entire last room and blew everything up), Grisben the Thirsty as the Knight (Advance so good), and Logan Lashley as the Treasure Hunter.

#49 modernman55

modernman55

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

I feel like it'd be too difficult to incorporate the co-op into the Quest Vault. It's a really cool idea, though... and I hope they put out more support for the co-op stuff.

I agree I can't really see how they can easily implement all of the activation, peril, and exploration cards in the online editor without it being clunky. But it would be fun to have fan made co-op quests if nothing else to get the format from being just a demo to something more. 

#50 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

I played through it today, and was thoroughly impressed! This is largely because I never get to play Descent normally because my friends aren't big fans. I really enjoyed finally bringing it to the table, but like a lot of people have said, I don't really foresee playing this an awful lot. If FFG can publish a whole expansion dedicated to co-op/solo mode, then I'd be all over it. At 32 cards per quest (if this one is anything to go by), maybe bundling a few of them together would be a way to go for full-on release? 

Of course, it would be nice if they could find some way to integrate more of the "normal" Descent experience into co-op mode, such as the lieutenants and such. But I thought the overlord phase here, as executed through the exploration and peril cards, was a nice way of going about it. 

We'll see what the future holds I guess. Looking forward to Nature's Ire, if nothing else!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#51 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Played it last night and we managed to win without getting knocked out.  We were lucky with encounter cards we drew and had a good character combination (Disciple Serena, Runemaster Leoric & Knight Syndrael). 

We were lucky that we chose the right objective token on the finale otherwise it may have been a different story.  It just so happens the Monster Activation cards that were drawn set up a situation where a zombie was blocking Tharn from getting to us, which helped us out immensely.

I recommend getting it, but for international buyers, I would wait for it to hit the store shelves.  It was light on and something I would recommend to play with the kids.

I hope they do release more of these.  It would to actually have more monsters and add a lieutenant or threat mechanic to the game.

Edited by rfisha, 09 August 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#52 mulletcheese

mulletcheese

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

It's a good start to co-OP descent but it's going to be 2+ expansions before it becomes really good (unless a solo box is announced soon).

The room order changes each time you play, but you play through all the rooms anyway in the campaign so there's not that much replayability (unless you keep losing) a couple of extra rooms (so some are missed out each time you play) would make a huge difference here. When we get another solo adventure we can mix the cards together to get more types of monsters and a lot of variety in how the dungeon is built. 1 adventure = not much replay value, 2 adventures = lots of replay value.

I don't count the next expansion as its an outdoor adventure, so can't be mixed in with the dungeon crawl.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS