Sorry couldn't help myself

It's dogfighting for me.
  • Red Castle and Punning Pundit like this

#22 IronTau

IronTau

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Dogfighting feels more like the tactical strategy I came to play. Epic starts to drag on and takes a lot longer, especially to set up if players don't have lists. I have a transport so I'll probably play some Epic just to use it, but the X-wing it came with is going to serve me a lot more often. 

• Osoroshii likes this

#23 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

I prefer the dogfighting.

I prefer to build with the 100 pts restriction, it's harder to fit the perfect combo in. Also, time constraint. My friend come in, we talk while taking a beer or two, play for about an hour, have time for a second game, talk a little more and it's done.

• Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#24 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

Give me the dogfight any day. I don't mind a larger battle, but I'm not that keen on the huge ships.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#25 Darth Ruin

Darth Ruin

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

What I want to see is Epic played as competitively as Standard format. It definitely has potential (although I suspect Z missile spam dominates everything else.) 

#26 Veldrin

Veldrin

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:08 AM

Epic with your non-hardcore gaming friends. It's like a social evening of chatting and gaming.

100 point dogfighting with the REAL players, still casual but with a hint of cut-throat competetivenes with the competetive tournament rules.

Empire: 11 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 2 TIE Adv., 1 Lambda, 2 TIE Phantoms, and 2 TIE Defenders

Rebel Alliance: 6 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95s, and 1 GR-75 Transport

Have a look at my X-Wing blog over at TeamCovenant

#27 Vargas79

Vargas79

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Dogfights 90% of the time, epic 10%.

Epic is fun, and you get to use all the toys. Dogfights appeal to me more as it so heavily rewards strategy (list building) and tactics (in game maneuvering) - both of which get a little lost, by which I mean diminished, in epic.

#28 Dronevil

Dronevil

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:19 AM

Dogfighting all the way. That's why I got into the game.

#29 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

Dogfighting ... So long as it isn't tournament meta. I'm sick of Falcons and Phantoms. Just me.

I agree. The Meta is to restrictive. If you are not playing according to the trends and ignore the current wisdom, you will lose.

:angry: :( :wacko:

The word I want to use I probably can't on this forum, but it involves male cows and what comes out the back of them. :P

Defy the meta. Outright defy it. Stare it in the eyes and tell it, "I don't need you."

The meta is not all what's best, it's people trying to skip exploring what works and what doesn't by copying "winners." It's mostly illusory. Why do these same lists hit the Top 8 so much? Because almost everyone is flying them. How many didn't make it? For a start, X-wing has a very strong random element, and secondly, if you netdeck, you're flying something everyone's seen before and everyone knows how to counter.

Take XXBB. It's hitting the Top 8 because so many are played. When did it win the World Championship? When it wasn't a metagame netdeck. When it was a crazy idea of Paul Heaver's, that defied the TIE swarm or bust metagame, when it was a decent squad that did a cool thing that he could fly well. People didn't immediately know how to deal with a B-wing that flew like that. And he won. If someone took his squad nowadays everyone's seen the advsensor B-wing before.

Defying the meta isn't necessarily a bad idea. Sometimes it's a good one.

Edited by Lagomorphia, 23 July 2014 - 03:25 AM.

• Millennium Falsehood and Joe Boss Red Seven like this

#30 DreadStar

DreadStar

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

Turretfighting.

#31 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

Dogfighting.

Epic doesn't feel, epic - to me.

#32 SpikeSpiegel

SpikeSpiegel

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

I've played 300 and 500 point epic games and it usually sways towards one side quickly. Once one person has destroyed about 75-100 more points over their enemy the game just becomes target practice/cleanup for the side that gained the leverage. Fun as all hell, though.

The goal is to get 2k of models from each side on the table for an EPIC! X-Wing-athon with massive carnage and obliteration and combos and swarms and high pilot skill and Tri-bounty hunters and Tri-YTs and 6 Decimators and every named X-Wing pilot and Ten Numb and a decked out Tantive with Gunner and Defenders and a squadron of Phantoms and Corran Horn with Expose and a bunch of Y-Wings flying through a hornets' nest of Interceptors and you get the idea.

It will happen. I will make it happen. And there will be pictures.
  • Millennium Falsehood and Joe Boss Red Seven like this
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

#33 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

I prefer to build with the 100 pts restriction, it's harder to fit the perfect combo in. Also, time constraint. My friend come in, we talk while taking a beer or two, play for about an hour, have time for a second game, talk a little more and it's done.

I can dig that. Now just do it all day rather than for two hours.

:lol:

• Red Castle likes this

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#34 chimera56

chimera56

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

Epic suffers because of lack of Imperial Huge Ships. Until there is some solution to that issue it will be a minor addition to the game at best.

#35 Rapture

Rapture

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

The problem is that Epic feels nothing like the picture that you posted. Epic feels like 10 enemy ships all targeting the best opponent ship until it dies and then repeating that over and over again. Once you fall out of arc, it changes up a bit, but I am just not feeling it.

#36 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

Epic suffers because of lack of Imperial Huge Ships. Until there is some solution to that issue it will be a minor addition to the game at best.

Yeah the one sided Hugeness is limiting it for now. I agree.

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#37 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

The problem is that Epic feels nothing like the picture that you posted. Epic feels like 10 enemy ships all targeting the best opponent ship until it dies and then repeating that over and over again. Once you fall out of arc, it changes up a bit, but I am just not feeling it.

I suspect that the game is as good as the people playing it...

;)

Once you have the table, models, terrain, and swag, the rest is on you.

You know?

• admat likes this

#38 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

I would love to but, you know, work and other life obligation kinda get in the way. Damn adult life, so boring...

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#39 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

I would love to but, you know, work and other life obligation kinda get in the way. Damn adult life, so boring...

You could pull a Falling Down, just don't get shot at the end of the day...

• Red Castle likes this

#40 Narcoleptic

Narcoleptic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Dogfighting. I've played Epic once, 2v2 with 200 points each. I don't have any huge ships, so I fielded only fighters. Things got way too clustered for me and the rounds took too long for me to enjoy it fully. Maneuvering is the thing I excel at and when things are as cluttered as they get in epic I don't even have to consider where to move my ships, there is really only one spot for each ship that will give me the tactical options that I want/need. Things just get too obvious simply put.

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 2 E-wings, 4 X-wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 Y-wing, 1 B-wing

I have a confession, I've never used my Y-wing, it's just there to look good :s

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS