• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MooseMCA

MooseMCA

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hi all!

I'm getting ready for some of my first epic play games. Any tips, perspectives, and/or reactions to epic play? Did anyone find it extremely enjoyable or not? Overwhelming?

Thanks! I can't wait to try it out.

#2 trustybroom

trustybroom

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

In my opinion, it's the most fun and thematic way to play the game.

• Chris Maes, Joe Boss Red Seven and Punning Pundit like this

#3 Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

My Tips:

Ion Cannons and Turrets kill big ships.

Kill the big ships

Have fun

Drink beer

Take ships/combo's you would not normally take

Kit out the corvette like a mo-fo!

• Chris Maes, GlassJaw and Audio Weasel like this

#4 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I liked it.

It's a bit more time consuming then normal play, just due to all the extra ships you have. I didn't find it overwhelming, it was a lot to keep track of but X-Wing is pretty easy to play, and all the info you need is on the table so it's not too bad.

#5 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

CR90: Han Solo crew + Sensor Team + Weapon Engineer crew is amazing and will help buff your main and as many as you care to power up single turbolasers.

I used Tibanna Gas Supplies cargo and Engineering Team to help with that task. If you put no quad turbolaser or any other card that can fend off stuff at close range, then fly your support fleet close and punish the aggressors.

X[5]  Y[4]  A[5]  B[5]  H[3]  E[2]  Z[6]   YT-1300[2] GR-75 CR90

F[7]  A[2]  I[6]  B[5]  P[2]  D[3]  FS-31[2]  λ[2]

#6 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Largest I've played in was 500 points per side.  Took about three hours, with over 90% casualties from both sides.

The biggest difference from normal play?  Support ships (HWK, etc) really shine in epic play. 

Edited by CatPeeler, 22 July 2014 - 03:37 PM.

• VanorDM and Punning Pundit like this

#7 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

Han Solo crew is an absolute must and I highly recommend weapons engineer.

#8 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

In my opinion, it's the most fun and thematic way to play the game.

Ditto!

:)

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#9 Texx

Texx

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

Splash damage does wonders.  Assault missiles are pure gold.  Also, anything that can work with or counter colliding is a major help (adv sensors is way better, Night Beast, APL).  Cause there will most often be a big pile-up somewhere in the middle during the game.

Edited by Texx, 22 July 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#10 shmitty

shmitty

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

I wrote a really long post on this very topic:

http://community.fan...ategy-thoughts/

#11 Popn618

Popn618

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

A lot extra time for everything. It will take much longer than a regular game. If you know squads ahead of time that helps a lot when working with larger point games.
“It’s not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they’re not much bigger than two meters.”

#12 StephenEsven

StephenEsven

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

I found my two games so far very enjoyable. Set a side ample time to play. We had to cut our last game short at 2AM. I was clearly starting to get the upper hand with a Phantom, TIE Bomber, TIE Fighter, and TIE interceptor left against a CR-90 and an x-wing.

You can do a lot of fun stuff not possible in 100 point games.

I also brought Assault Missiles, but quickly ended up in a  close dogfight meaning I would hit my own ships as well if I fired.

Carefully plan what you intent to do if you bring Huge ships. they can easily become point sinks, if you kit them out for multiple purposes.

And while I haven't tried it yet. The Epic tournaments format does not require the use of Huge ships. I plan on playing a 300 point epic dogfight at some points with no Huge ships.

Some cards just work better or worse in Epic. Area effects are bound to affect more ships as they often are in close proximity.

Owns: A Lot of Models.

Author of the ALTERNATE X-Wing Miniatures data files for ArmyBuilder. Alternate update site now here.

#13 MooseMCA

MooseMCA

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Has anyone tried alternate epic play of 200pts per side? But not in the 2vs2 player format. Has it been pretty balanced for folks?

#14 Lordtwann

Lordtwann

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

We did a team epic tournament that was pretty cool.  Rounds took three hours each.  Was pretty cool.  Though I think they should switch to a different play space size, I think 4x4 would be better then 3x6.

#15 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

We did a team epic tournament that was pretty cool.  Rounds took three hours each.  Was pretty cool.  Though I think they should switch to a different play space size, I think 4x4 would be better then 3x6.

Honest truth, I'd be willing to bet FFG made the play area size what it is so you could put 2 of the mats you already have together to play it.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#16 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

Team Epic helps mitigate the extended planning phases, and offers a new layer of strategy. Having to face two separate styles of maneuvering is fun. Plus, 800 point game. It's the most full you'll ever see the board get. And winning against something like the Tantive really really feels like an accomplishment.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS