• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

the issue I find is when a ship becomes effectively Jelly because then what's the point of that ship?

I've played a lot of games with 4 Interceptor lists, and they aren't jelly... They do quite well, assuming the other guy isn't playing a HSF list.

If a ship has a counter, that doesn't mean the ship is worthless, just that it's going to struggle against it's counter.

There you go!

:)

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#42 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

It seems like people want "one list to rule them all" type build. I think the new stuff has really shaken up this game. No more will you see "Howlrunner to rule them all" There are counters to everything now and it's AWESOME!

• Joe Boss Red Seven and Plainsman like this

#43 Plainsman

Plainsman

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

One reason this game is so fun is there is no single "ultimate" build that rules! The number of possible builds is so large nobody will know if they even have an "ultimate" build since they will never be able to compare it to all others!

As to the turret question; I've played both with them and against them, they are good, but not overwhelming, as they can both win and lose like any other good build!

Edited by Plainsman, 22 July 2014 - 10:45 AM.

• Joe Boss Red Seven and Knucklesamwich like this
Plainsman :)
Imperials: Ties x 5, Interceptors x 5, Advanced x 1, Bombers x 2, Defenders x 2, Phantoms x 5, Firespray x 1, Shuttle x 1
Rebels: XWings x 4, YWings x 2, BWing x 1, AWing x 1, EWing x 2, Z95 x 3, YT1300 x 2, HWK290 x 2, GR75 x 1,
CR90 x 1

#44 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

It seems like people want "one list to rule them all" type build.

Really? Because it seems to me what people are complaining about is how one trick (turrets) seem to be dominating and invalidating all the other list types, so that you have to take a turret list if you want to win. Don't know that I agree with that assessment, but that seems to be what people are really complaining about.
  • Jisforjets likes this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#45 Kahadras

Kahadras

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

I've got a decent milage out of my Ion turret Y-wings but they've never been as effective as I've wished for. They are tough but aren't very good a dodging incomming fire and if I get caught by more agile Imperial craft then I'm in trouble. While I do get the 360 3 dice attack (at range band 1-2) I find quite often that my opponant will use evade and try to work a range 3 attack or two. I tend to use Y-wings to set up shots for my other ships in the next turn where I can predict exactly where my opponant is going to end up.

#46 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

It seems like people want "one list to rule them all" type build. I think the new stuff has really shaken up this game. No more will you see "Howlrunner to rule them all" There are counters to everything now and it's AWESOME!

I love it too!

:D

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#47 FTS Gecko

FTS Gecko

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Again, for the lub of Jeebus:  Turrets can be good, but they're not God mode.

A pimped out Falcon can cost over 50 points.  50 POINTS.  It can engage one target a round.  ONE.  With a maximum of four attack dice (at range one).  FOUR.

50 points gets you 4 TIE fighters, or four Z-95s.  That's a comparable amount of hull and shields, but spread over four individual targets, that can themselves engage four individual targets, and throw TWICE the amount of attack dice.

On it's own, it would take the Falcon four turns MINIMUM to take down those fifty points worth of ships - more likely twice as long.

The Falcon's good. Chewie's good.  HWK's and Y-Wings are good.  But they're not the be all and end all, never were, never will be.

• VanorDM, Joe Boss Red Seven, Engine25 and 1 other like this

5th October 2014.

#48 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Again, for the lub of Jeebus:  Turrets can be good, but they're not God mode.

A pimped out Falcon can cost over 50 points.  50 POINTS.  It can engage one target a round.  ONE.  With a maximum of four attack dice (at range one).  FOUR.

50 points gets you 4 TIE fighters, or four Z-95s.  That's a comparable amount of hull and shields, but spread over four individual targets, that can themselves engage four individual targets, and throw TWICE the amount of attack dice.

On it's own, it would take the Falcon four turns MINIMUM to take down those fifty points worth of ships - more likely twice as long.

The Falcon's good. Chewie's good.  HWK's and Y-Wings are good.  But they're not the be all and end all, never were, never will be.

Awww go on you can have some of my lub then.

• FTS Gecko likes this

#49 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

I've got a decent milage out of my Ion turret Y-wings but they've never been as effective as I've wished for. They are tough but aren't very good a dodging incomming fire and if I get caught by more agile Imperial craft then I'm in trouble. While I do get the 360 3 dice attack (at range band 1-2) I find quite often that my opponant will use evade and try to work a range 3 attack or two. I tend to use Y-wings to set up shots for my other ships in the next turn where I can predict exactly where my opponant is going to end up.

You need some Headhunters right behind them Y-Tankers.

;)

Go on and move like a hearse, and let the sneaky (smart) TIEs come on in.

:ph34r:

Wait for it... Wait for it, they will come to you and you can take a few hits no probs.

:D

When you have  the brave (stupid) leading TIEs in close and can ion dat-ass, the Z's zoom out from behind the Y's and nail the coffin shut.

;)

#50 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

I think, somehow, that turrets are getting blamed for things that they are not responsible for.

It's not the turrets fault that they come on a ship that has a base 13 hull/shield points, can ignore virtually all critical hits and turn on a space-dime. That'd be the ship, not the turret.

If turrets were the be-all and end-all of the "meta", why aren't we seeing more Y-Wing and HWK builds dominating the championship listings?

The core of this, methinks, is that too many want to play the game just "their way" and not need to respond to other tactics that someone else may bring to the table. There's a reason that I intentionally tend to avoid playing the XXBB or TIE swarm, and yet still manage to win the last local FLGS tournament.

• Joe Boss Red Seven and quasistellar like this

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49, 2 Reb Aces

#51 Ryther

Ryther

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

Sounds like outmaneuver would be a good add against all the falcon/wings out there. Get out of arc and all hits get through. Also C3PO can't trigger if you roll no defense dice. There are always ways to deal with anything if you are willing to try new things.

"Truth suffers from too much analysis."

Frank Herbert

#52 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

I see the complaint about turrets often, followed by a Dogfighting reference as if a real game based on WWI & WWII is not true to history or whatever if there are spinning guns.

:rolleyes:

This is wrong first of all and it does not give any merit to the argument against turrets being in a "dogfight game".

The fact is that Machine guns and Cannons have been set into turrets since the modern wars.

duxford7.jpg

pb4y1erco70.jpg

Respect the wisdom of our Fathers!

;)

Dude that is utter bullcrap. These turrets are clearly waaay OP. What were the war designers thinking? This totally unbalances the war. 0/10 would not wife.

• VanorDM likes this

#53 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

I see the complaint about turrets often, followed by a Dogfighting reference as if a real game based on WWI & WWII is not true to history or whatever if there are spinning guns.

:rolleyes:

This is wrong first of all and it does not give any merit to the argument against turrets being in a "dogfight game".

The fact is that Machine guns and Cannons have been set into turrets since the modern wars.

duxford7.jpg

pb4y1erco70.jpg

Respect the wisdom of our Fathers!

;)

Dude that is utter bullcrap. These turrets are clearly waaay OP. What were the war designers thinking? This totally unbalances the war. 0/10 would not wife.

Yup... Turrets suck!

:lol:

#54 Jisforjets

Jisforjets

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Its not that.. It's this... Named YT invalidate many squads. It is part of the game and creates great rock paper scissor moments at events that are so fun filling for all of us!

#55 Joostuh

Joostuh

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

They don't completely invalidate arc doding ships. They just make life harder for those ships. Don't forget including a named Falcon will cost you about 25% of your squads firepower so it balances out.

I think it's a mistake to base your entire squad on a single tactic. If you want to play with arc dodgers include a mini swarm to counter that YT or Y-wing! If you want to play a low PS 4x fighter squad as Rebels, you should take some of your firepower away and include some ion or stress inducers.

• Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

#56 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

They don't completely invalidate arc doding ships. They just make life harder for those ships. Don't forget including a named Falcon will cost you about 25% of your squads firepower so it balances out.

I think it's a mistake to base your entire squad on a single tactic. If you want to play with arc dodgers include a mini swarm to counter that YT or Y-wing! If you want to play a low PS 4x fighter squad as Rebels, you should take some of your firepower away and include some ion or stress inducers.

You make some good points.

You should not put all of your eggs in one basket...

#57 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

With practice, flanker squads can kill Falcons with little issue.  Any common flanker squad features ships with 3 attack.  Engage a Falcon like you would with a TIE Swarm.  First round of combat, make Range 3 shots with all of your ships to chip off as many hits as you can. The Falcon will be lucky to destroy your Interceptor or Phantom at Range 3 with the extra die.  Then, next turn, you MUST put all of your squad's dice into that Falcon at Range 1.  You will likely lose a ship, but with 4 interceptors, or a TIE Swarm and a flanker like Soontir or a Phantom, that Falcon will be space dust or at worse have 2-3 hull remaining.

• VanorDM likes this
Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS