Photo

I like the dragon decks, but the expansion isn't always what I want.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Lord Kalten

Lord Kalten

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Best way, before cutting the rules down is to nominate an administrator.  Anyone who plays with a lot of expansions or in large groups or plays specific expansions that require a bit more effort each turn to do additional tasks will find that the game moves forward a lot faster if specific expansions are managed largely by specific people.

For example, we always have one person drawing out the dragon tokens on behalf of all players and the dragon stuff sits next to him.  He is an expert when there is a need to draw more tokens and to move the king dragon.

You can apply this to managing day and night and with the grim reaper also.

It means one person constantly goes through the motions very fast so there's no umming and ahhing and 'so what is it I do next?'.

• SolennelBern likes this

#22 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

There are some great ideas in here.  I particularly like the idea of using the Highlands as a Dragon realm.  It's a bit too Nerf just now, and the dragons would love to hang out in the mountains, I bet.  Here's my thought:  How about if characters from the Dragon expansion could CHOOSE to draw from the dragon decks, instead of the Adventure?  The best way to make this fair would be to draw from the BOTTOM of the mixed dragon decks, so you're never sure of the colour of the card you're about to draw.  Kinda like in Fury of Dracula.  That way you could take advantage of the powers that don't make sense without the dragon cards.  In defeating a dragon, any character could gain a dragon scale, which would provide the normal +1 bonus against the Dragon King (I also like the idea of just choosing one at random and sticking with it).  The character would have the option of either going for the CoC, which would require a Talisman, or else heading for the Dragon Tower (an addition I really like....never thought of making it optional before).  You wouldn't need a Talisman, but you could use the Crown token as your key to get in the tower.  Anyone, of course, could take it from you.  All the +1 tokens might make this an attractive alternative for people instead of  the CoC.

In addition, I have custom made dice that I use for NPC movement.  On a 3 or 4, they show a dragon result.  Any character in the Highlands who rolls 3 or 4 for their movement would be required to take a Dragon card instead of a Highlands card.  Adds a bit of danger and opportunity to the otherwise mostly-safe region.  Of course, if they defeat a dragon, they get a scale, same as a Dragon character.  And they could fight over the crown token.  Maybe at the end of the Highlands you could choose to enter the Dragon Tower instead of facing the Eagle King?  Or could there be another entrance to the Tower, maybe in one of the spaces in the Highlands near the end?  Thoughts?  

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#23 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Of course then your adventure deck would share 2nd edition's biggest flaw - overabundance of very powerful enemies.

Flaw?  FLAW?!?!  That's not a bug, man, it's a feature! :)

#24 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:21 AM

Put the dragon tower to the side and shuffle the dragon decks together to form a Tower deck. Once you cross the VoF, you have to climb the tower in order to reach the CoC. Draw all tower cards from the Tower deck.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS