26 replies to this topic

#1 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

Have yous guys seen this?

2014 ENnie award nominations

I seriously hope this is because you guys didn’t submit anything for consideration because I can’t, for the life of me, fathom how EtoE got completely shut out.
Last years ENnies I noticed the lack of The EtoE Beginner Box…. Then I came across a blog from a former judge… towards the bottom of the post…” the exclusion of Star Wars Edge of the Empire Beginner Box. It was submitted but left off all the nominations. It was not left off because most of the judges don’t like Star Wars or felt that other products were just better. It was left off because one judge didn’t like the special dice the game uses and refused to let it get nominated for anything.” Found at THIS location. I have no choice but to believe the same thing happened here, again, on a much grander scale.

To the FFG Star Wars Team: I see this as a gross oversight. Not trying to blow smoke up your rumps or anything, but credit is due where it is due. Interior art – superb, Jewel of Yavin is one of the greatest adventures I’ve read/run in decades. I place it on a level with Temple of Elemental Evil, Ravenloft, etc.. In fact, it is one of two non-d&d products I’ve said that about. The system itself I find very innovative, with quality mechanics that are unique and fun to play. I mean seriously, you’ve helped me unpathfinder more people then I care to count and have bettered the “role playing” of every person that I’ve had the pleasure to introduce (and demo) to this game.

If it were up to me… I’d have you nominated for
Best Game
Best Setting (it’s star wars for Zues’ sake, the entertainment juggernaut of the last century).
Best supplement
Best Adventure for JoY,
Best Art, Interior (take your pick on book)
Best Freebie – Shadows of a Black Sun (came with Sabaac rules FTW)
Product of the Year
PodCast – though not FFG, Order 66 rocks! It is entertaining, enlightening, and it matters. It is more then a 3 hour commercial for your products. I know this isn’t on you one way or the other.

and I could make an argument for Best Writing as well.

Consider yourself nominated in those categories in the Shamrock Awards.

For what it is worth, your efforts have been noticed. I’m sorry it wasn’t by the “right people” to see you recognized amongst your peers.

What I’m saying is… thank you! Thank you for bringing Star Wars to a system that “feels like Star Wars”. Thank you for providing years of fun for my friends and I. Thank you for making GMing fun again. Thank you, for bringing a community, that doesn’t always get along, into a setting that we all share a passion for, and at the very least have a mutual respect for eachother through. I’m sure I’m not the only person on the boards that feels this way.. Feel free to chime in...

Respectfully,

Edited by Shamrock, 22 July 2014 - 09:01 AM.

• awayputurwpn, Liloki, Sidious and 13 others like this

Be well,

Sham

#2 AceSolo5

AceSolo5

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

Seconded!!
Keep calm &... I don't know,fly casual!

#3 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:12 AM

Thirded.

We may not see eye to eye on much, Shamrock, but I agree totally here.

• Shamrock likes this

#4 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

I didn't catch it sorry, I use to fail all my Intelligence and Cunning checks XD

Can we vote or its closed to people who goes there?

Thanks for the info!

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,935 Profile Views.

#5 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:58 AM

Forced... err.. fourthed.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#6 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

If true, that is a terrible shame that the hard-working team who gave us these fine products cannot get all of the proper awards recognition they deserve.

Many bothans died to bring us these products.

• Josep Maria likes this

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#7 DVeight

DVeight

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:53 AM

Travesty

#8 Naglareph

Naglareph

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

What's also very special about this SW Game (EotE, AoR and FaD included), is that it adresses to an international public.

The other games were also quite "international" but never on the same scale as the SW by FFG.

And as a French player from Europe, I never saw a Star Wars game get this popular in such a short amount of time.

Adding to my usual playing group, they are events organised solely around the EotE franchise.

Events where, dozens of players come together and play and have fun for entire week ends.

And all these players all agree that this Star Wars game is the best they've seen in a long time (D6 is still alive and kicking in some players's minds). Thanks to this game, I managed to meet a community I never suspected it existed.

And since I have been Gm'ing since the first day of the EOTE Beta, my flame and passion for GM'ing has never been as strong as before.

Well, all I want to say is that I entirely agree with Shamrock in every aspect.

And that I thank FFg for bringing me so much pleasure in a rpg.

Each time I play/Gm the game, I sense something, a pleasure I've not felt since...

• awayputurwpn, Liloki, Josep Maria and 1 other like this

May the Force be with you.

I II III IV V VI

#9 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

For all we know, FFG could already be aware of the issues with the ENies and may have decided not to submit anything. Personally I avoid sites like EN world and such generic gaming sites and stick to the forums of the the actual game sites. I much prefer dealing with actual fans of said games.

• Josep Maria and kaosoe like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#10 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

I didn't catch it sorry, I use to fail all my Intelligence and Cunning checks XD

Can we vote or its closed to people who goes there?

Thanks for the info!

We can't vote on who actually gets nominated. That's up to judges whom apparently aren't very good at the job (nor unbiased if the article holds any weight). One look at their own message boards for EtoE and it's like the second coming.
We can vote on the nominations given. They are open, currently.
  • Josep Maria likes this

Be well,

Sham

#11 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

For all we know, FFG could already be aware of the issues with the ENies and may have decided not to submit anything. Personally I avoid sites like EN world and such generic gaming sites and stick to the forums of the the actual game sites. I much prefer dealing with actual fans of said games.

I truely hope, given the box set debacle of last year, that this is the case. The impression I'm left with isn't that though. They obviously care about such award, or they wouldn't have submitted the box set. Typically nominations see a spike in sales.

I'm not suggesting winning. Typically that's a matter or popular opinion, voted on by fans with a horse in the race. (Pathfinder is a monster with too many fans that vote based on popularity and name branding).

In my opinion, the nomination (voted by peers in the industry), is where the credit is earned. And I, personally, can't figure out how SW:EtoE is completely shut out. When I look at some of the nominations, FFG/SW:EToE are just flat out better products. It's not really an opinion. The art in some of those is simply horrid.

Edited by Shamrock, 22 July 2014 - 08:52 AM.

Be well,

Sham

#12 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

FFG has a pretty hot property in Star Wars and seem to be doing pretty good with it. While I'm sure recognition would help, they may be aware of biases against them after what happened with the Beginner Box (if true). They may not want to play the role of Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. Has anyone heard if anything was submitted?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#13 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Difficult to discuss this sort of things in the official forums of the game are. While we all may love the game, I for once have to say that it is not that fantastic. A good game? For sure!! Does it deserves to be among the nominees for the best game... I am not so sure there.

At the end, it takes the Star Wars universe (which means success is guaranteed unless you are a disaster) with an improved mechanical system from one already existing game (Warhammer 3).

Don't make me wrong, I like the game, but I can understand why a game with a more innovative systems like Numenera is there and this one is not.

Just my opinion

Yepes

• Shamrock likes this

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#14 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Don't make me wrong, I like the game, but I can understand why a game with a more innovative systems like Numenera is there and this one is not.

Hmmm, opinions do vary. I find Star Wars mechanics much more innovative than Numenera"s. Numenara's is just another take on d20 at the end of the day. A nice one for sure, but still d20.

• whafrog likes this

George Orwell

#15 Aservan

Aservan

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Those awards are mostly crud. I can't even take them seriously. One of the games doesn't even know that titles are capitalized. People too lazy or stupid to use the shift key should be ignored (unless they are paying you).

It's like the oscars where artsy-fartsy crap gets credit because only six people ever saw it (or in this case played it).

• themensch likes this

#16 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

Has Enworld even been relevant for the last 10-12 years?

Used to be a decent news site around the time 3rd Ed D&D was coming out and then went blazing downhill like a gated community filled with crazy, closed minded people for some reason or another, not that I really care any more.

• whafrog likes this

#17 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Difficult to discuss this sort of things in the official forums of the game are. While we all may love the game, I for once have to say that it is not that fantastic. A good game? For sure!! Does it deserves to be among the nominees for the best game... I am not so sure there.

At the end, it takes the Star Wars universe (which means success is guaranteed unless you are a disaster) with an improved mechanical system from one already existing game (Warhammer 3).

Just my opinion

Yepes

Truthfully that wouldn't even bother me. But setting? Art? Etc... To me completely left out, bothers me. Did these people even open the books? The paper quality alone is better then some of the noms. At least if it were up for something, anything, I'd know they at least considered it.
  • kaosoe likes this

Be well,

Sham

#18 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Given that from what I've seen on ENWorld, I'm not surprised that EotE products didn't get a mention.

Firstly, ENWorld membership is primarily focused on Pathfinder and D&D, in about that order.  Say anything overtly negative about Paizo or Pathfinder, and be ready to have your ass charbroiled and the mods locking you out of threads if you try to cite why you feel the way you do.

Secondly, the general feeling towards EotE on the ENWorlds hasn't been very positive.  There were even threads bashing FFG for their decision to hold Jedi and other Force-users for the third core rulebook instead of just doing a single core rulebook that gave you everything right up front, to say nothing of folks blasting the system simply because it was different.  There were folks that appreciated FFG's approach and the dice system, but they honestly seemed to be in the minority.

Most of the ENnie judges are drawn from and voted for by ENWorld community members, and given the two points above (especially the Paizo love), it's not surprising that some games get pushed out.  Frankly It's more of a surprise when a WotC or Paizo product doesn't win given how heavy the bias is towards those two companies.  I suspect next year's ENnies will be dominated by the new D&D products, given that 5th edition got released this year.

Still, I am glad to see FATE Core get a slew of nods, as Fred Hicks and the Evil Hat crew did a bang-up job putting that system together, and I really hope that they at least take silver in the categories they've been nominated for.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#19 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Has Enworld even been relevant for the last 10-12 years?

Used to be a decent news site around the time 3rd Ed D&D was coming out and then went blazing downhill like a gated community filled with crazy, closed minded people for some reason or another, not that I really care any more.

From what I've seen, only if you're a hardcore Paizo/Pathfinder fan.  Any other RPG?  You're better off looking elsewhere for active conversations.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#20 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

FFG did not submit any games this year.

http://www.ennie-awa...14-submissions/

• Liloki likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS