Photo

How do you get use out of the Spare Clip talent?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

I think it's win-win no matter what the GM does. 

If the GM spends the despair to empty the clip, you can negate it (the first time).

If the GM never spends the despair to empty the clip, the talent has effectively stopped the GM from ever having you run out of ammo. That would be worth a talent just as much as the one that was written.

• Lorne likes this

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#22 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

moved

Edited by 2P51, 22 July 2014 - 11:02 PM.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#23 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

I read this talent in the much more limited fashion that does not impose upon the narrative or invite meta-gaming, namely that despair simply cannot be spent on that option and something else happens instead. Otherwise, it just becomes a despair sink for ranged weapon attacks in the most boringest way imaginable:  nothing happens.  "Hey, I never spent despair on running-out-of ammo before you got the talent, but now that you got it, I'm gonna let it Hoover up half the red dice for ya!"?? If I ever say something to that effect, please shoot me -- I'd rather be known as a turd.

Resolve is a different case. There are plenty of ways to impose strain loss that don't involve narrative expenditures of threat, and it can be surmounted if enough threat is rolled.

Regardless, we don't really see characters in the movies running out of ammo, but I sure hope Force & Destiny includes some kind of Spare Lightsaber talent because OMG!

I don't think you're seeing the original point of the thread though.  If it is handled the way you suggest it makes more sense for a player to skip the Talent.  They can just buy extra reloads and compensate for an 'out of ammo' result on a Despair.  If you automatically eliminate that option and just say another result automatically occurs why would I buy a Talent in the first place that I can compensate for, in exchange for a situation where Despairs now become something I can't compensate for. In your scenario Despairs become even worse because I bought the Talent.  That doesn't make sense.

Edited by 2P51, 22 July 2014 - 11:07 PM.

• Ranger1060 likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#24 Lorne

Lorne

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

If it is handled the way you suggest it makes more sense for a player to skip the Talent.

An entirely possible scenario -- I loathe reasoning backward from a desired conclusion. But the conclusion seems inescapable:  it is simply not worth the xp and/or was designed so poorly (as it interrelates to the overall narrative structure of the system) as to invite metagaming. Either way, it is a poor talent. It happens. Entropy is a b---h.

#25 Aservan

Aservan

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Sadly, there are quite a few talents where the game design failed. Designers are only human, but even after the "beta" versions we get things like the crappy stealth talent that requires you to be force sensitive in AoR. I don't support the idea that players should be punished for building to a concept.

If you're gonna release a play test version, at least fix the talents the community is kind enough to identify as crud.

• bradknowles likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS