50 replies to this topic

#41 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

All of Dono's answers are...

Internally consistent within setting and using the available body of lore, both Legends and otherwise.

Quite frankly, any film ever made that was meant primarily as a form of entertainment is going to have the plot fall completely part if put under intense scrutiny.  Lord of the Rings is infamous for "why not just use the giant eagles?" since the day it was first published decades ago, and it's deemed a literary classic and the blueprint for fantasy fiction.  The Godfather films fall under a similar problem, yet for some reason people consider those to be the best films ever made (I consider them complete and utter crap not worth the film stock used to make them).  Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Raiders of the Lost Ark, they all fall part if you try to force an external view and the viewer's much greater base of information to draw upon.  Hell, the entire Star Trek franchise crumbles like a sand castle hit with a tidal wave if you start applying actual real-world logic to it.

To quote the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mantra: "It's just a show, you really should relax..."

Or perhaps more appropriately, Bellsario's Maxim: "Don't examine this too closely."

Bottom line, the Star Wars films are a collection of stories put together in the hopes of entertaining the audience and making some money for the rights holders.  Any actual science that happens in these films is a happy accident.  They're meant to tell a story and ultimately to be fun, nothing more.  George Lucas was more concerned with the story than the kind if piddling details that some folks insist on picking at.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#42 Zar

Zar

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

If you guys want to nitpick the movies so bad then why are you even posting in these threads? Go play a different game where the GM can make a perfect story that has no plot holes and every hero dies because the villains think of everything.
  • awayputurwpn, Rationalinsanity, Donovan Morningfire and 2 others like this

#43 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

If you guys want to nitpick the movies so bad then why are you even posting in these threads? Go play a different game where the GM can make a perfect story that has no plot holes and every hero dies because the villains think of everything.

It's a shame I can't like this more than once.

Edit: Or as the replacement troll for ErikB illustrates by its post below, some "people" are just a-holes out to amuse themselves rather than make any effort to constructively participate in a given discussion.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire, 04 October 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#44 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Quite frankly, any film ever made that was meant primarily as a form of entertainment is going to have the plot fall completely part...

Which was the point of my comedy responses.

#45 Raice

Raice

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:51 PM

Never mind.  It isn't worth talking about further.

Edited by Raice, 04 October 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#46 Wonderduck

Wonderduck

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

So, would it be possible to have a Force wielding Toydarian?

Watto said "Mind tricks don't work on me...". He didn't say anything about his race being immune to the force. He only resists the mind tricks because his race is strong willed; they have strong minds and as we know the force has power over the "weak minded". The same applies to the Hutts, not immune, just highly resistant. :)

• kaosoe likes this

#47 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Never mind.  It isn't worth talking about further.

Yeah, it's been pretty well established there's nothing in the rules saying that a Toydarian can't be a Force user.

#48 Zar

Zar

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

I almost want to do an Alternate history campaign where Qui Gon did succeed with his Mind Trick. Can you imagine what would have happened if they never met Anakin?
  • kaosoe likes this

#49 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

I almost want to do an Alternate history campaign where Qui Gon did succeed with his Mind Trick. Can you imagine what would have happened if they never met Anakin?

A more likely response would be that Qui Gon would've actually shopped around and found the parts in some other shop. Why he believed Watto who claimed he was the only one who had the parts was beyond me. Unless... Watto is a force user and mind tricked Qui Gon!

#50 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

A more likely response would be that Qui Gon would've actually shopped around and found the parts in some other shop. Why he believed Watto who claimed he was the only one who had the parts was beyond me.

I blame Lucas' Neckbeard.

#51 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

Jamwes,

In-setting, it could be that Qui-Gon knew that the parts required for that class of ship (it was a luxury vessel after all) were fairly rare, and that Mos Espa was relatively small; it'd be akin to shopping for replacement engine parts for a high-performance sports car in a sleepy Northeastern US village with a population of less than a 100 hundred people; a truly exceptional mechanic might be able to jury-rig something to get to a larger population center, but such mechanics are pretty rare, and doing so with the Queen's ship would leave them in much the same situation as they were already in.

And for all we know, he did shop around, and what Watto said about being the only person with the parts in stock was true, requiring him to deal with the Toydarian after all.  Of course, not long after Anakin came chasing after Qui-Gon and was willing to help the older Jedi, at which Qui-Gon probably figured it'd be less hassle to win the parts via the podrace, particularly since Naboo was under occupation and the Queen's people were being held in what amounted to concentration camps.  To say nothing of constantly asking around for parts for a Nubian vessel would increase the chance of the news reaching the wrong ears and the Trade Federation being alerted that the Queen was stranded on a hick planet and thus a prime target for re-acquisition by the TF's leadership.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS