JJ's new X-Wing

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#161 Rithrin

Rithrin

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

What do you expect? Everything JJ Abrams does has a huge marketing blitz where they make absolutely sure you know it's "JJ Abram's <insert subject here>". So if people don't like it, they'll blame him.

#162 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

I'm not opposed to the new wing design but I wonder how itll look with thinner wings (thickness and width) and with the wings positionally offset on each side.

Well that whole thing is a bit of an assumption. Someone made a model based on how they think it will work, we don't actually know that it will work like that model.

#163 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Do you just dislike everything new, because old is better; or do you just dislike everything period?

Maybe he's just one of those people who hate everything JJ does just because it's JJ. I've seen some people come up with some truly convoluted reasons, even going as far as making up stuff to justify the JJ hate.

I honestly don't know if it's because it's trendy to hate him, or if because he's generally popular and some people we call them hipsters hate anything that's popular.

Hm, that's odd. I live in hipster central (well, not my neighborhood per se, but I go there enough), and certainly wouldn't classify them as haters. Also, the name itself - hip - suggest the opposite of your definition.

I generally like JJ, though I'm not without my criticism. Lost ended badly. I can see how the Trek reboots were different from older Treks, and while some things were cheesy (as if old Treks weren't cheesy), I think he pulled the movies off quite well.

In sum: I have faith.

#164 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

So, you don't want a fun movie made? As movie, Star Trek needed to be changed. I don't think a lot what is "Star Trek" works too well as a movie compared to a tv show.

I didn't find them fun they just made me mad so no i really really don't want a repeat of that, the story was stupid the design of the ship was just mind numbingly ridiculous and things like vulcan having a moon just an insult.

For those that hate the new Star Trek movies, I think JJ gets a little too much of the blame. Most issues with the plot I think can be squarely placed on Orci & Kurtzman. I can see a LOT of similar issues between the new Star Trek movies and the Amazing Spider-man movies. Main difference is that I think JJ is a stronger director in terms of shaping the whole movie, so he was able to salvage more than Marc Webb could.

You add JJ (who is a far better director than George) with the freaking amazing creative teams he has, and I fail to see where the worry comes from.

Disliking every movie and TV show he's ever been involved in for me personally.

So....

What's going on here? Do you just dislike everything new, because old is better; or do you just dislike everything period?

Has someone not had their geritol this morning? :P

Do you just dislike everything new, because old is better; or do you just dislike everything period?

Maybe he's just one of those people who hate everything JJ does just because it's JJ. I've seen some people come up with some truly convoluted reasons, even going as far as making up stuff to justify the JJ hate.

I honestly don't know if it's because it's trendy to hate him, or if because he's generally popular and some people we call them hipsters hate anything that's popular.

So just because i don't like the work of one director its assumed i hate everything, that's one big leap there friend do you need to sit down?

I like or dislike things based on their own merit, i like x-men one and two because they are good movies i dislike three because the director messed it up big time.

I like the first three indiana jones movies well enough but the forth is just plain bad.

I like star wars but hate the prequels because they are shockingly bad work from a man that invented this universe, i like the Original trilogy but dislike the live action ewok movies because they are bad.

I have watched multiple JJ films and tv shows and liked none of them, predicted how lost would go without even watching the whole of season one, don't like fringe and so forth.

I don't like the work of terrance malick either but he's not making the next star wars film so its irrelevant.

So to clear things up i dislike JJ's work because i've watched it and found it not to my personal taste not because its trendy, just because i think he's terrible.

• teufelwolf@yahoo.com and Forgottenlore like this

#165 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

So just because i don't like the work of one director its assumed i hate everything, that's one big leap there friend do you need to sit down?

I like or dislike things based on their own merit, i like x-men one and two because they are good movies i dislike three because the director messed it up big time.

I like the first three indiana jones movies well enough but the forth is just plain bad.

I like star wars but hate the prequels because they are shockingly bad work from a man that invented this universe, i like the Original trilogy but dislike the live action ewok movies because they are bad.

I have watched multiple JJ films and tv shows and liked none of them, predicted how lost would go without even watching the whole of season one, don't like fringe and so forth.

I don't like the work of terrance malick either but he's not making the next star wars film so its irrelevant.

So to clear things up i dislike JJ's work because i've watched it and found it not to my personal taste not because its trendy, just because i think he's terrible.

:lol:

It may be a big leap, but it's one based on archetypes (grumpy old man vs. general curmudgeon). Now that you've given me more data, it sounds like you're fitting more into my first archetype.

• X-Men 1 & 2 (older) = like; X-men 3 (newer) = dislike;
  • Indiana Jones 1, 2, 3 (older) = like; Indiana Jones 4 (newer) = dislike;
  • SW OT (older) = like; SW PT (newer) = dislike;

I mean, it's fine if your argument is just against JJ Abrams, but the other data points you refer to don't have anything to do with him, so they don't support your thesis, they support mine. Is your mention of Terrance Malick supposed to indicate that there's old stuff you dislike too?

#166 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

It may be a big leap, but it's one based on archetypes (grumpy old man vs. general curmudgeon). Now that you've given me more data, it sounds like you're fitting more into my first archetype.

I mean, it's fine if your argument is just against JJ Abrams, but the other data points you refer to don't have anything to do with him, so they don't support your thesis, they support mine. Is your mention of Terrance Malick supposed to indicate that there's old stuff you dislike too?

I don't think Indiana Jones should be included because, let's face it, Crystal Skull was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad no matter how old you are.

• Vanderbeam likes this

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 7 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender, 2 Decimator

On Pre-order: 2 IG-2000, 4 Starviper, 4 Scik Interceptor, 2 Most Wanted

#167 Cryix

Cryix

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

It is but i think its pretty well founded looking at this picture 

I've made a wee image showing where it looks like the s-foils split apart, also the work-in-progress image somebody posted above gives a good impression of it.

new_xwing.png

There's clearly not a break in the wing thickness along the front so it probably wont be opening top to bottom and you can definitely see how the wing has a line break in it along the top and look at the curved gun mounts to see that they obviously will be offset when open so from there its pretty logical to assume that the wings themselves will be offset. 

Edit: Can we please shut up about JJ and talk about this xwing? If there's nothing left to say lets let the topic stagnate and you can start a new thread about how you hate/love JJ Abrams. 

Edited by Cryix, 22 July 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#168 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

And I mentioned the live action well movies which are nearly as old as the OT, and they like the Christmas special suuuuuuck.

Except I really liked the wolverine, X-Men first class and days of future past all new.

No one liked Indy 4 not the critics and not the fans, Spielberg has made some amazing movies but of late he's making trash just look at how he butchered E.T. replacing guns with radios Lucas has been a bad influence.

And as I said I didn't like,the old live action ewok movies made not long after rotj.

You've failed to collect adequate data and so presented a flawed premise poor science indeed.

#169 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

It is but i think its pretty well founded looking at this picture 

I've made a wee image showing where it looks like the s-foils split apart, also the work-in-progress image somebody posted above gives a good impression of it.

new_xwing.png

There's clearly not a break in the wing thickness along the front so it probably wont be opening top to bottom and you can definitely see how the wing has a line break in it along the top and look at the curved gun mounts to see that they obviously will be offset when open so from there its pretty logical to assume that the wings themselves will be offset. 

Edit: Can we please shut up about JJ and talk about this xwing? If there's nothing left to say lets let the topic stagnate and you can start a new thread about how you hate/love JJ Abrams. 

YES. CAN WE ******* PLEASE STOP.

Just because JJ is making it doesn't mean we have to talk about JJ. We can talk about this thing on it's own damned merit.

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#170 aadh

aadh

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

As long as he doesn't use that stupid beer bottling plant for the inside of a starship ever again I'm on board with this. It seems like he cares more about this than he did the Trek franchise.

This. Pretty much ruined the movie for me. I was good with most of the rest of it, or let it slide at least, and I'm hopeful about VII. But the guts of the Enterprise were so mind-blowingly stupid, I just couldn't.

On that note, loved the second movie and had to let a few things slide, but the bad guy ship being a giant, black Enterprise? Just... no. Please.

• teufelwolf@yahoo.com likes this

Rebel— 12 X-Wing | 10 Y-Wing | 8 A-Wing | 8 B-Wing | 2 YT-1300 | 3 HWK-290 | 2 GR-75 | 1 CR-90 | 5 Z-95 | 4 E-Wing | 1 YT-2400

Imperial— 18 TIE/ln | 18 TIE/in | 8 TIE/sa | 4 TIE/x1 | 3 Firespray-31 | 2 Lambda | 4 TIE Defender | 5 TIE Phantom | 1 VT-49

#171 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

As long as he doesn't use that stupid beer bottling plant for the inside of a starship ever again I'm on board with this. It seems like he cares more about this than he did the Trek franchise.

This. Pretty much ruined the movie for me. I was good with most of the rest of it, or let it slide at least, and I'm hopeful about VII. But the guts of the Enterprise were so mind-blowingly stupid, I just couldn't.

On that note, loved the second movie and had to let a few things slide, but the bad guy ship being a giant, black Enterprise? Just... no. Please.

Yep, that ship was spectacularly clichéd :(

#172 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Continue Star Trek discussion here. This is a Star Wars forum.

Edited by Captain Lackwit, 22 July 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#173 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Except I really liked the wolverine, X-Men first class and days of future past all new.

No one liked Indy 4 not the critics and not the fans, Spielberg has made some amazing movies but of late he's making trash just look at how he butchered E.T. replacing guns with radios Lucas has been a bad influence.

And as I said I didn't like,the old live action ewok movies made not long after rotj.

You've failed to collect adequate data and so presented a flawed premise poor science indeed.

Ah, you misunderstand science then. Science is not about how much data you have or can collect, it's about how you use it. I think what I did perfectly fits the scientific method.

But, I will confess that in this instance my interest was in poking fun at you more than it was in creating a sound theory to explain your behavior.

Last week I was the grouch who got pushback. Today it's you. :P

#174 Dieter122

Dieter122

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

So....you guys look at the Z-95X?

I feel it was overlooked. But people are stuck on JJ still instead

#175 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

So....you guys look at the Z-95X?

I feel it was overlooked. But people are stuck on JJ still instead

That's because it was 100% Irrelevant because it was a Z-95, this was not. Not to be an ass, but you know why it was irrelevant?

Because the Z-95X was based on that Ralph McQuarrie concept art. So is this. This however is recent- new, directly related to the topic and new film coming out- the Z-95X is not.

Thus it takes precedence in the conversation, making the Z-95X moot.

Also, it's not a 99% match.

It's a 60%.

#176 krechevskoy

krechevskoy

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

Also I find it hard to believe this is any pic from JJ Abrams. 

The camera isn't shaking around violently enough.   I can actually focus on the picture. 

• Millennium Falsehood and horsepire like this

#177 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

Also I find it hard to believe this is any pic from JJ Abrams. 

The camera isn't shaking around violently enough.   I can actually focus on the picture. 

For ****'s sake.

• horsepire likes this

#178 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

I'm glad that I'm just happy to be seeing a new Star Wars film, regardless of whether it is the best ever or just mediocre.

Also this X-Wing still looks badass so I'm cool with it.

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#179 Eggs

Eggs

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

Here's an idea. Why doesn't everyone in this thread donate a few quid to UNICEF? It's because of them that we got a nosy at the new x wing in the first place. And for less than the price of a small ship, you might end up in the movie...

And then you can be smug all day, because you've done something nice. :)

Edited by Eggs, 22 July 2014 - 11:52 PM.

• Mikael Hasselstein likes this

#180 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

It strikes me that if you change the cockpit configuration, the engines, number of weapons, remove the external hardpoints, remove the forked tail and change it from variable geometry to fixed wing is it really still a Z-95 Or should it have the T Designation

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS