JJ's new X-Wing

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#41 Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

I don't know, it might be better than the original laser setup.  It always looked to me like the laser cannons on the wingtips of the original x-wing were tacked on as an afterthought.  They don't look solidly attached to the wings at all.

Yeah, I think that about the original, and the blocky shape of the wings looks a bit rushed too, but still.  Well, we'll see.

Am I the only person that won't mind locked s-foils? A smaller target is a harder target to hit.

But then your lasers would overheat, or some such nonsense.  I'm not exactly sure how they dissipate heat in a vacuum anyway, but apparently being far apart helps.

This doesn't appear the be the case with TIEs. Their lasers (specifically, chin lasers) are what, a foot apart?

Let's be careful about how much science and logic we try to apply to movie props from the 70s, everyone.  Aesthetics is one thing.... realism and practicality within the realm of actual physics is another thing entirely.  Discussions of the realism of star wars technology dead-ends pretty quickly I think.

• DagobahDave and PhrisbeePhul like this

#42 RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Am I the only person that won't mind locked s-foils? A smaller target is a harder target to hit.

I thought I always heard that opening your S-Foils primarily functioned to spread your shields out more around your ship. 

Look at the Arc fighter from the clone wars. It's s-foils don't have guns but they still open up. 

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Looking for a podcast that talks and writes about X-Wing (and other FFG Star Wars games)? 

Here you go: The Jodo Cast 

#43 nikk whyte

nikk whyte

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

me-262-2.jpg

What about the difference between this 1940s jet and the 1970s one?

That E-wing looks weird.
  • bsmith13, Iffo, Osoroshii and 15 others like this

Current fleet:
Rebel: x-wing, y-wing, HWK-290, yt-1300, e-wing, z-95, a-wing, b-wing

Imperial: 2 tie fighters, 2 interceptors, tie phantom, tie advanced, firespray, defender, bomber

#44 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

But then your lasers would overheat, or some such nonsense.  I'm not exactly sure how they dissipate heat in a vacuum anyway, but apparently being far apart helps.

They radiate heat using the same forces that distribute sound in space. :)

• Mikael Hasselstein, The Amazing Flight Lizard, mithmyrr and 1 other like this

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#45 nikk whyte

nikk whyte

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

I accept all answers about overheating and s-foils, on the grounds that the only real idea for the x-wing was "make it as badass as possible"

Mission accomplished.
  • DagobahDave, JCDisaray, BCooper85 and 1 other like this

Current fleet:
Rebel: x-wing, y-wing, HWK-290, yt-1300, e-wing, z-95, a-wing, b-wing

Imperial: 2 tie fighters, 2 interceptors, tie phantom, tie advanced, firespray, defender, bomber

#46 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

I'm kinda dissapointed. Yes they are obviously referencing McQuire's work...but it still looks way too similar to the current design. This movie is 30-35 years after ROTJ, it should be new ships, or if they want newer versions of an existing ship, don't make them so similar.

A casual fan would probably think they are the exact same ship.

First, I love the new look. 30-35 years in design doesn't look very different. Can you pick the aircraft that is from the 70's and the jet from 2010? There's 40 years between them.

[snip]

OK, I know the first one is an F-15 Eagle. But what's the second one? I can't figure it out.

#47 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

To be fair though, the plane analogy between two later planes makes more sense than the earlier ones, since ships in StarWars are a very established technology.  Compare a horse drawn cart from the 1820s to one from the 1710s, that might be a better one.

Don't be such killjoys all you people telling us not to debate the science!  You'll be telling us not to argue over who'd win in a fight between the Emprie and the Federation* next.

*Star Trek, not Blake's 7.

#48 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

I really like the looks of those engines, they really look like they'd suck stuff in and smash it into subatomic particles :)

#49 Mykilus

Mykilus

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

So at least we know what will be in the new core set FFG will release next year....lol

#50 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

me-262-2.jpg

But that's the first jet fighter ever. Its a little bit of a different scenario. Its not like the OT X-wing is the first starfighter. New technology tends to improve at a rapid rate then kind of slows or plateaus.

We are still using airframes in the military that are well over 30 years old (B-52, U-2, A-10, etc.). While they have been greatly upgraded the basic design remains the same. Its the old addage "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

• aadh likes this

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#51 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

me-262-2.jpg

But that's the first jet fighter ever. Its a little bit of a different scenario. Its not like the OT X-wing is the first starfighter. New technology tends to improve at a rapid rate then kind of slows or plateaus.

We are still using airframes in the military that are well over 30 years old (B-52, U-2, A-10, etc.). While they have been greatly upgraded the basic design remains the same. Its the old addage "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Oh you totally don;t get the point. The point is that they DO look similar. If I wanted to show how much technology can change I could have chosen the Gloucester Meteor or the de havilland Vampire.

• Iffo and oneway like this

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 2 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#52 Mykilus

Mykilus

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

I've made a wee image showing where it looks like the s-foils split apart, also the work-in-progress image somebody posted above gives a good impression of it.

new_xwing.png

It looks nice all folder up like that, but I'm not sure about the curly bits at the end where the guns are mounted, might look a bit flamboyant with the s-foils in attack position.

I don't know, it might be better than the original laser setup.  It always looked to me like the laser cannons on the wingtips of the original x-wing were tacked on as an afterthought.  They don't look solidly attached to the wings at all.  

I`m beginning to wonder if the wing splits on the outside of the engine rather than at the root of the wing, Their seams no room for the wing to move at the fuselage,

#53 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

Looks to me like the main wing (front bit will stay where it is, and the back section will drop down.

I like it, but I think it's odd, if you want an old looking ship like an x-wing why change the x-wing design?

Edit: Actually my bad, it looks exactly like the concept art, posted earlier. there's a front/back divide in the wings on that too.

Edited by Glentopher, 21 July 2014 - 09:57 AM.

Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#54 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've made a wee image showing where it looks like the s-foils split apart, also the work-in-progress image somebody posted above gives a good impression of it.

new_xwing.png

It looks nice all folder up like that, but I'm not sure about the curly bits at the end where the guns are mounted, might look a bit flamboyant with the s-foils in attack position.

I`m beginning to wonder if the wing splits on the outside of the engine rather than at the root of the wing, Their seams no room for the wing to move at the fuselage,

Good call, the wings might rotate up and down the along the cylinder of the engine. That could look cool!

Edit, upon further inspection it appears the engine will split. There is a definite seam and, most importantly, there are two engine exhausts on each side.

Edited by Skargoth, 21 July 2014 - 10:02 AM.

• JCDisaray likes this

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#55 Dieter122

Dieter122

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Why does the XWing need to be changed?

I liked how it was in the original.

JJ always makes changes. Not always good ones.

The nose cap piece is basically non existent and he is making it look more like a earth fighter jet than something from the Star Wars universe. And no astro mech?

Give me episode 4
  • Hobojebus likes this

#56 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

I'm kinda dissapointed. Yes they are obviously referencing McQuire's work...but it still looks way too similar to the current design. This movie is 30-35 years after ROTJ, it should be new ships, or if they want newer versions of an existing ship, don't make them so similar.

A casual fan would probably think they are the exact same ship.

First, I love the new look. 30-35 years in design doesn't look very different. Can you pick the aircraft that is from the 70's and the jet from 2010? There's 40 years between them.

[snip]

OK, I know the first one is an F-15 Eagle. But what's the second one? I can't figure it out.

That's an F-16 variant. I think it was an F-16E? I don't know- but I remember that much.

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#57 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

I like it, but I think it's odd, if you want an old looking ship like an x-wing why change the x-wing design?

This might be a 15-year-old X-Wing, which would be at least 15 years newer than the ones in the original trilogy.

Edited by DagobahDave, 21 July 2014 - 10:04 AM.

• Mikael Hasselstein likes this

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#58 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

And no astro mech?

Maybe it just isn't loaded.

• Mikael Hasselstein and mazz0 like this

#59 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

This might be a 15-year-old X-Wing, which would be at least 15 years newer than the ones in the original trilogy.

That would explain why it's so poorly maintained looking. :P

And no astro mech?

Maybe it just isn't loaded.

I suspect an armored canopy has been implemented.

• DagobahDave likes this

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#60 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

Why does the XWing need to be changed?
I liked how it was in the original.
JJ always makes changes. Not always good ones.
The nose cap piece is basically non existent and he is making it look more like a earth fighter jet than something from the Star Wars universe. And no astro mech?
Give me episode 4

actually this is the design that was given to Lucas. So that would make it the original design....just saying
  • haslo and Radarman5 like this

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS