I wonder if this means we'll see Deak Starkiller - IE Scuba Steve

vader-500.jpg

• oneway and JCDisaray like this

#22 Wraithdt

Wraithdt

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

The official Star Wars twitter account verifies that it's an X-wing, not a Z-95.

Here's a comparison:

jnhwI7z.jpg

Looks like a sleeker, faster version.

Maybe 3 attack, 3 defense, 2 hull, 2 shields with focus, target lock, and barrel roll (or evade)?

So exciting! The new X-wing does give the impression that its a faster, more maneuverable ship but the original trilogy version looks more balanced design-wise in comparison, although without seeing it at other angles I can't say for sure. One thing that's for sure, they're sticking close to McQuarrie's original design this time around.

Edit: Just to add, I don't dislike the new design and I can see myself appreciating it more as time goes on but at the moment I'm not used the change in proportions, particularly the fuselage, intakes and wings.

Sorry, double post.

Edited by Wraithdt, 21 July 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#23 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

It looks awesome and I love it... so far.

:D

• Duke of Advil likes this

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#24 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

I'm kinda dissapointed.  Yes they are obviously referencing McQuire's work...but it still looks way too similar to the current design.  This movie is 30-35 years after ROTJ, it should be new ships, or if they want newer versions of an existing ship, don't make them so similar.

A casual fan would probably think they are the exact same ship.

In the Star Wars universe ships have production runs in the hundreds of years, using the same design with streamlining and tweaking is totally believable.

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#25 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Looks like a Z-95 with four guns instead of two, and they're so close to each other that they'll melt. I don't see a split in the presumably closed S-foil wings. This is weird.

definitely a McQuarrie style X-wing. zoom in on the wingtips, you will see that they do split. Not stacked on top of each other, they split front to back.

Edited by Duke of Advil, 21 July 2014 - 08:32 AM.

• overdesigned likes this

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#26 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

I've made a wee image showing where it looks like the s-foils split apart, also the work-in-progress image somebody posted above gives a good impression of it.

new_xwing.png

It looks nice all folder up like that, but I'm not sure about the curly bits at the end where the guns are mounted, might look a bit flamboyant with the s-foils in attack position.

• Duke of Advil and overdesigned like this

#27 quasistellar

quasistellar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

I've made a wee image showing where it looks like the s-foils split apart, also the work-in-progress image somebody posted above gives a good impression of it.

new_xwing.png

It looks nice all folder up like that, but I'm not sure about the curly bits at the end where the guns are mounted, might look a bit flamboyant with the s-foils in attack position.

Ah I see now--it's like scissors.

#28 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

new_xwing.png

I think you nailed it.

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#29 Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

new_xwing.png

I don't know, it might be better than the original laser setup.  It always looked to me like the laser cannons on the wingtips of the original x-wing were tacked on as an afterthought.  They don't look solidly attached to the wings at all.  

• Corellian Corvette likes this

#30 nikk whyte

nikk whyte

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Am I the only person that won't mind locked s-foils? A smaller target is a harder target to hit.

Current fleet:
Rebel: x-wing, y-wing, HWK-290, yt-1300, e-wing, z-95

Imperial: 2 tie fighters, 2 interceptors, tie phantom, tie advanced, firespray

#31 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'm kinda dissapointed. Yes they are obviously referencing McQuire's work...but it still looks way too similar to the current design. This movie is 30-35 years after ROTJ, it should be new ships, or if they want newer versions of an existing ship, don't make them so similar.

First, I love the new look. 30-35 years in design doesn't look very different. Can you pick the aircraft that is from the 70's and the jet from 2010? There's 40 years between them.

429eef535ba5dc3268eb4e6e05b7257c_zpscbbd

2027b9995d2e641c7babe72175f4db87_zpsde83

Edited by Osoroshii, 21 July 2014 - 08:45 AM.

• DagobahDave, haslo, oneway and 5 others like this

#32 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

I don't know, it might be better than the original laser setup.  It always looked to me like the laser cannons on the wingtips of the original x-wing were tacked on as an afterthought.  They don't look solidly attached to the wings at all. 

Yeah, I think that about the original, and the blocky shape of the wings looks a bit rushed too, but still.  Well, we'll see.

Am I the only person that won't mind locked s-foils? A smaller target is a harder target to hit.

But then your lasers would overheat, or some such nonsense.  I'm not exactly sure how they dissipate heat in a vacuum anyway, but apparently being far apart helps.

#33 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 629 posts

I'm kinda dissapointed.  Yes they are obviously referencing McQuire's work...but it still looks way too similar to the current design.  This movie is 30-35 years after ROTJ, it should be new ships, or if they want newer versions of an existing ship, don't make them so similar.

First, I love the new look. 30-35 years in design don't look very different. Can you pick the aircraft that is from the 70's and the jet from 2010? There's 40 years between them.

429eef535ba5dc3268eb4e6e05b7257c_zpscbbd

2027b9995d2e641c7babe72175f4db87_zpsde83

Exactly.  The same argument I use to justify prequel ships in Xwing :P

Edit:  Only, you know, in a more "what they do" way rather than just what they look like.

Edited by mazz0, 21 July 2014 - 08:42 AM.

• DigitalChicanery likes this

#34 DreadStar

DreadStar

• Members
  • 748 posts

Obviously the F15. But that's because i actually know them ;)

But yes, technology in star wars universe is quite stagnant (or that's how it is supossed to be).

• oneway likes this

#35 nikk whyte

nikk whyte

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, I think that about the original, and the blocky shape of the wings looks a bit rushed too, but still.  Well, we'll see.

But then your lasers would overheat, or some such nonsense.  I'm not exactly sure how they dissipate heat in a vacuum anyway, but apparently being far apart helps.

This doesn't appear the be the case with TIEs. Their lasers (specifically, chin lasers) are what, a foot apart?

Current fleet:
Rebel: x-wing, y-wing, HWK-290, yt-1300, e-wing, z-95

Imperial: 2 tie fighters, 2 interceptors, tie phantom, tie advanced, firespray

#36 RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

It looks old, perhaps just a Z-95?  Stands to reason they'd update the design to make it look better in the movie.

After Star Wars tweeted this video someone on twitter asked if it was a Z-95 and they confirmed that it wasn't. They said it's an episode VII X-Wing. 

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#37 quasistellar

quasistellar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

I think it's best if we don't try too hard to use "logic" with Star Wars--it just kind of ruins the fun.  The force, lightsabers, hyperdrives, space stations the size of small moons, astromechs that magically fit into the obviously too thin eta-2, etc etc

#38 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

me-262-2.jpg

What about the difference between this 1940s jet and the 1970s one?

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 3 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#39 Rekkon

Rekkon

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

The primary in-universe explanation for S-foils is to increase weapon coverage.

• oneway and Duke of Advil like this

#40 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

S-foils expand to allow greater surface area for radiators. Radiators are really the only way to efficiently (and continuously) dissipate heat in vacuum.

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 3 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS