Photo

100 pt - Echo + Doom Shuttle + BH (what went wrong?)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

i took echo with VI, ACD and RC with 5 Academy pilots

Same as this list eh?  Looks like it does very well.

http://community.fan...p/#entry1163549

#22 executor

executor

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

i took echo with VI, ACD and RC with 5 Academy pilots

Same as this list eh?  Looks like it does very well.

http://community.fan...p/#entry1163549

the poster of that thread is my friend Mark Douglas and plays with me at our local playgroup in Vancouver BC

he created that list that i won with and in all retrospec it should have been him that deserved that win over me but placed top 4 instead when he was eliminated in the semi final round by the runner up Jonas Malapas

he taught me how to fly it (but i still fly in my own style that differs from his) and we even faced off together when we were both 4-0 in the final round of the swiss

he won the initiative roll and my defense dice went cold on me (rightfully so) and forced my hand to make a dangerous maneuver of putting my echo at range one of his echo in an attempt for me to get lucky as i'd already lost a few ties in the initial exchange and was way behind because of it

i took a chance and lost echo for it and i called the game as is.. but it worked in the end because we were both exhausted and hungry to boot and making plenty of errors because of it, plus we both had already made the top 8 so we went and got dinner and discussed the opposition and what we were likely to run into

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 3 Y-wings, 6 A-wings, 4 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders, 1 VT-49 Decimator

#23 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Very cool.  I just read the entire BatRep of the Spokane Regionals and saw that.  Congrats on the win again and the strategies you guys use to deal with the different lists and Falcons have been invaluable to me.  Thanks!

• executor likes this

#24 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Trying to take on the Han list with Bounty Hunter and Doom Shuttle can be difficult, because it forces you to make some hard decisions.

First off - some observations:  Definitely drop Opportunist out of your build.  Opportunist just works completely against ACD - I can't stress enough how bad getting stress is on a ship like Echo who wants to perform that cloak.  As has been discussed, the power of having Rebel Captive is huge, especially since the Meta seems to have moved away from Nien Numb - if that Falcon is getting stressed trying to shoot at you, you should be able to cripple his movement dial.

This leads us to how to use the shuttle in this matchup.  To be honest, I haven't tried the shuttle as a pairing for Echo, but my suspicion is that you'll get your best results picking off Han's support asap to reduce the number of guns pointed back at you.  Use Echo to bait Han away from the rest of the fight, trash his support, and then once it gets down to Han vs. (a likely badly damaged) Echo, you will hopefully be able to use the BH and Shuttle to finish him off.

The thing to keep in mind is that the shuttle without AdvS or Engine is really hard to maneuver and will have a hard time dealing with ... well, anything, especially if it can get behind it.  If you run it so that your opponent has to choose between trying to get behind the shuttle and taking abuse from the BH, or staying in front of the Shuttle to deal with the BH, you're likely going to win.  I'd drag out the movement of the Shuttle as much as possible so that you're able to get as many rounds of fire in as possible.

I suspect that any attempt to jam Han will be very hard unless you can set it up so that your BH crashes into your Shuttle from behind, with the shuttle up against Han - and to be honest, there are so many problems with trying to set that up without the requisite tools, I just can't recommend it.

#25 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

As a quick aside, if you're going to go with 4 TIEs, try something like:

Echo w/ Sensor Jammer, Rebel Captive, Advanced Cloaking Device, Veteran Instincts

Howlrunner w/ Determination 

3x Academy Pilots

I won't say it will work wonders, but it will give you the best bang for your buck with what you're looking at using.

#26 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

As a quick aside, if you're going to go with 4 TIEs, try something like:

Echo w/ Sensor Jammer, Rebel Captive, Advanced Cloaking Device, Veteran Instincts

Howlrunner w/ Determination 

3x Academy Pilots

I won't say it will work wonders, but it will give you the best bang for your buck with what you're looking at using.

Cool, thanks!  I was actually using Opportunist (the one that works like Wedge if I'm out of the firing arc) rather than Outmaneuver (totally agree it's not good on Echo). =)

But yeah, I've been pretty good with keeping everyone in front of the shuttle and since the goal of the shuttle is to die after dealing enough damage, I don't have to worry much about people getting behind him.  The only time someone has gotten behind is when I played the "3 Amigos" build.  Usually people want to deal with Echo or the BH and are too busy to try to get behind the Shuttle (like you suggested).

Yeah, I'll give the Howlrunner version a try, though if the APs are used for mainly disrupting, then would something like:

Dark Curse + stealth (or hull)

3x AP

I guess the difference is making the TIEs hard to kill or giving them one round of rerolls if Howl doesn't die. 

Also, is Sensor Jammer that good?  Almost everyone takes focus (especially Han with PTL or Airen giving out free actions), and since they usually go first, they haven't used up the focus yet. 

#27 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

If they don't have an action because they ran into a TIE...

#28 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

If they don't have an action because they ran into a TIE...

Good point.  Looks like it's good only when you have a mini swarm to deny actions.

#29 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Not exactly - it also stops them from using the MF title for evade, so in effect it puts more damage through on them.

#30 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

True for the Falcon, but his wingmen, if they're B-Wings or X-wings, can still hurt a lot.  But you're definitely right in that the main threat is the Falcon since it has the 360 turret.  The others I can arc dodge.  The more I think about it, the more I want to try it soon.  Great advice!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS