Spokane Regionals Batrep

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

Sorry all, this is going to be fairly brief.  Travelling 7 hours each way to play in a regionals takes a lot out of you.

I ran the following list:

Echo - Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device, Rebel Captive

5x Academy Pilot

Round 1 - Store Championship bye.  Not much to say here - a free win with all the fixings is just that...

Round 2 - bgFish

3x Bandit Squadron Pilot

2x Rookie Pilot

Blue Squadron Pilot

bgFish is from my local meta, and we'd played this match out a large number of times prior to heading down to the event.  He was *not* happy to see me for his second game of the day.  The game played out the way it usually does - he got only a couple of shots at Echo, who managed to sneak behind him and cause havoc.  I wouldn't say that either of our dice were particularly hot or cold.  Needless to say, I managed to secure the win.  We were joking that it was virtually an impossible match-up - something which would come back to haunt me later.

Losses - 2 Academy Pilots

2-0

Round 3 - Josh from Montana

2x Bounty Hunter w/ Ion Cannon & Tactician

Jonus

When I saw his list, I'll admit I was a little worried.  If he was able to get into range two of Echo, my game was going to go down hill in a real hurry.  Added to that, the Bounty Hunters have HUGE firing arcs, and with two of them, I really worried he'd be able to sneak that shot in.

As a result, I worked on making him navigate through the asteroids and then used my TIEs to block as much as possible.  It worked like a charm.  I was able to strand one of his Bounty Hunters on an Asteroid for two turns, and put concentrated fire into the other one killing it before it was able to do real damage.  He had only one shot at Echo all game - a range 3 shot.  He elected to fire at a TIE at range 1 instead.

Losses - 1 Academy Pilot

3-0

Round 4 - Tim from Spokane

Han Solo, Millennium Falcon, Gunner, Chewbacca

2x Blue Squadron Pilot

I've played similar matchups a number of times.  I was thankful he didn't have 3P0.  His set up was a little different than what I'm used to seeing (I'm used to seeing Han on the outside, furthest away from my ships, while the Blues on the inside, with the hope of being able to pass and circle behind with minimal interference) - instead, his Han was set up closer to my TIEs than his Blues.  I decided to rush the Falcon, while Echo slipped around the side.  Sure enough, Han spent about 4 turns in a row without actions.  This was somewhat costly to me, as he was picking off my TIEs, but by denying him actions (both for his Falcon and his Blues) I was able to get the upper hand.  I took advantage of Tim's frustration, and finally cleared the path by K-turning past the Falcon with the TIEs, right in time for him to try to power past me - needless to say, he went to far, and Han parked on a rock.  Han went down shortly thereafter, and I picked off the two blues with ease.

Losses - 3 Academy Pilots

4-0

Round 5 - Executor

Echo with Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device, Rebel Captive

5x Academy Pilots

The mirror match.  Executor is very competent with the list, and I'll be honest, I'm happy I ran into him in Round 5 and not any earlier.  Mirror matches are always a crap-shoot.

I won the toss of the die, and elected to go first.  We jammed the middle with asteroids in the hopes of interfering with each other's Echos.  I deployed on the outside, and he deployed close to the opposite corner, hoping to minimize the amount of collisions that were sure to occur.  As you may have gathered, I'm pretty aggressive with my TIEs when it comes to action denial - Executor is as well.  Needless to say, it was going to be pandemonium.

Unfortunately for him, that meant that on the crucial second turn of engagement, I had the upper hand.  I had virtually managed to deny almost all of his actions.  As a result, I quickly got two TIEs ahead of him, and severely damaged two others.  Both of us were tired, and we were bumping our own ships to top it off.  He decided that things weren't going well and that they were only going to go worse unless he could do something about my Echo, so he rolled in to engage.  His hope was to end up at range 2, but he ended up at range 1.  As I had another TIE at range 1 as well, I decided to take the gamble and attacked.  My dice came up with 5 modified hits - he got 1 evade and 1 focus.  He spent focus to survive, and attempted to kill the TIE who was at range 1.  He failed to kill the TIE (he rolled 3 hits, I got 1 evade and two focus - I took the two hits), and the TIE promptly snuck 1 hit through, killing his Echo.  At that point, he decided that the game was over, and conceded.

Losses - 0 TIEs

5-0

First round of Top 8

As I was the top seed, I was matched up against the #8 seed.  Jonathan has played at worlds, and did very very well.  He was playing an interesting experimental list that I knew was going to make for a challenging match.

Captain Yorr - Fire Control Systems

Omicron Group Pilot

Omicron Group Pilot

Black Squadron Pilot w/ Wingman

Black Squadron Pilot w/ Wingman

We spent a lot of time discussing his list, and not as much time playing as we should.  I know that the list caused havoc for other players over the course of the day, and I'd seen his set-up so I knew something of what I was in for.  His evade dice were fantastic, and mine left something to be desired - but the list is surprisingly difficult to face.  I had played against a 3 shuttle list during my BYE round, and had decimated it without losing a TIE - this was the exact opposite.  When time was called, I had Echo and 1 TIE left - 50 points.  He had Yorr and one other Shuttle left.  Needless to say, I snuck past on this one, but it was a hell of a game.

Top 4 - bgFish

Rematch.  I knew that he really *really* didn't want to face me again.  He changed his deployment, and tried to come at me from an angle.  After the first round of engagement, I was really happy with how things had went - a X-Wing was on life support, with no where to go, and he'd managed to pick off a single TIE, and he was going to be chain bumping again thanks to where everything was.  Echo had started the walk around the side of his list, and I figured he'd be right in behind in no time.

Then disaster struck.  bgFish had done a good job of spreading his arcs, and had a range 3 with a B-Wing with no action and a range 3 with a Z-95 with no action.  I had a focus, and although I didn't like giving him shots, I figured that at worst I'd lose a shield.  The B-Wing fired, threw up 3 hits.  Fortunately my evade dice were decent, and I managed to avoid the three.  Then the Z-95 fired, and landed two hits.  I rolled 5 blanks.  

The following turn, I continued my walk around - taking a pot shot at an X-Wing.  Again, he had two shots at the phantom - range 2, but both shots were with Z-95s without actions.  I felt, again, reasonably comfortable.  I was cloaked with a focus when he fired.  First shot he landed two hits, and I got two evades.  Second shot?  4 blanks again.  

Needless to say, even though he'd lost a Z95 and two X-Wings, he was able to seal the deal on the TIEs from there.

End result - 6-1 (with 1 BYE)

I had a great time, and I couldn't have lost to a better guy.  I was playing a list that I knew going into the event could suffer if the dice turned, and they turned on me in that round with a vengeance (it wasn't just those two rolls).  He went on to play Executor in the finals, and lost that game.

At the end of the day, I had played (and beaten!) the three other players in the top 4, so I'm really happy with how I did even though I ultimately lost my second game against bgFish.  I'm really glad that the list that I developed for the event placed 1st and top 4.  I know a similar list placed top 8 at Singapore - it is a viciously strong build that has the power to drop Falcons.  

It was interesting that there were a number of Falcon builds that showed up to the event, and a lot of Phantom builds - but that only 1 Falcon and 3 Phantom builds were able to claw their way into the Top 8.  I saw a number of builds designed to prey on the Falcon over the course of the day, which is why I think so few managed to make it through the Swiss.

Big thanks to Uncle's Games for hosting the event.

• Keffisch, bgFish, executor and 1 other like this

#2 Droofus

Droofus

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the report! 

Things really came full circle there at the end.    While I'm sure it doesn't make the loss feel any better, it's a pretty amazing story with bgFish coming back and beating you on the second try.

Question:   Do you find the Rebel Captive to be a critical upgrade for Echo?   I can see the utility (providing a great disincentive for your opponent to target the phantom, while crippling their movement options next turn if they do), but I'm wondering if you would consider it a "must-take" for Echo or any other phantom?   Did it help keep Echo alive through the tourney?

Ships.   Rebel:  

Spoiler
Imperial:  
Spoiler

#3 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

It makes a big difference on the phantom on phantom match-ups and when you're facing Falcons. It is really, really easy to block a stressed Falcon when you have 5 TIEs and most people are running Gunner and C3P0 rather than Nien Numb. Against the other Phantoms, it allows me to actually kill them with TIE shots - since you can't re-cloak after getting stressed, you've only got two dice to protect yourself. Finally, it works very well when facing off against the other Imperial anti-Phantom tech as you don't want a double stressed Soontir Fel or Turr Phenir.

Finally, it always seems to make people think twice about shooting at a rebel captive - any time they don't take the shot is fine by me. The Academy pilots are there for action and position denial, and to put volume of fire into the Falcon when I get that match. If you're shooting them instead of Echo, I'm happy.
  • Droofus likes this

#4 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Awesome battl report niceas!  Very happy to see Echo work well and I'm finally settling on the same build.  Been using ACD+VI for a long time and tried out Intel Agent and RS, and don't like either.  Will definitely try RC next.

executor has been helping me a lot in my bat rep, especially against the Falcon.  Currently my list has a BH+gunner and Doomshuttle.  I'll try it a few more games to see if I can take out a Falcon with those two.  Worst case I may go with 3 AP + named TIE and a few other upgrades on my other ships (maybe the Buzzsaw shuttle), since I only have 4 TIE fighters.  Any advice on using the BH/Doom Shuttle (PS3/PS2) to do similar things against the Falcon (action denial)?

#5 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

I responded in your thread, but in case someone is trying to follow it here, a shuttle without Engine and AdvSensors is not a good choice as a blocker because it will be unable to participate once the enemy has moved past it. At best, it can re-engage after 3 rounds, assuming a) they don't just follow it, and b) it has the room to turn around.

The reason you can use it as a blocker with Yorr is that Yorr can take the stress and your lead shuttle can stall turn after turn, forcing your opponent to turn out and away rather than being able to k-turn past your base.

#6 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

I responded in your thread, but in case someone is trying to follow it here, a shuttle without Engine and AdvSensors is not a good choice as a blocker because it will be unable to participate once the enemy has moved past it. At best, it can re-engage after 3 rounds, assuming a) they don't just follow it, and b) it has the room to turn around.

The reason you can use it as a blocker with Yorr is that Yorr can take the stress and your lead shuttle can stall turn after turn, forcing your opponent to turn out and away rather than being able to k-turn past your base.

Good point, but Yorr requires someone with wingman to take away his stress, right?  Unless he just flies in circles around the stalled shuttle?

I may end up with a BH+Gunner and 2 AP instead of BH+Gunner and Shuttle.  The 2 AP can block better, even if the Shuttle can potentially do more damage at the right time (using Vader to get rid of the last HP has been priceless, because I've lost many games where a ship gets down to 1HP and JUST... WON'T... DIE... =P

#7 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

Yorr can just run into the stalled shuttle.  He can do 1 forwards all day long.

#8 bgFish

bgFish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Great writeup. I wish I took notes on my matches so I can chime in with a report as well. I thought I had a solid showing in the swiss, but all I can say is that dice luck was definitely with me in the first two matches of the top 8 rounds. The dice were more or less even in the final and that allowed Executor's skill with the Phantom to shine through.

The Rebel swarm list I ended up taking (1B, 2X, 3Z)  was meant to take big ships down quickly as I was expecting to face lots of YTs. I ended up facing Phantoms in 6 out of my 8 games. Go figure =p.

I have to give a big shout out to Kyle, the TO. He ran an outstanding tournament and kept things moving well. At one point, I had in a moment of clumsiness dropped a damage card down a grate. He told me to figure out which card it was and pulled it out of the store's demo copy for me so I could keep going, and he'd just retrieve it later when it was more convenient. The participants were all a blast to play with as well, both locals and out-of-towners.

All in all a great experience. It certainly doesn't hurt that I ended up placing in the top 4 alongside the two guys i drove down with. The other two guys from our group also placed well, one finishing top 8 and the other finishing top 16. Can't ask for anything more than that.

EDIT - grammar

Edited by bgFish, 22 July 2014 - 06:33 PM.

• executor likes this

#9 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

I need 2 shuttles now... how ironic considering I resisted the shuttle for so long and now might get 2.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS