• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

There is some questionable math in relation to Gunner here.  If you have a base 3 attack dice ship using Focus, Target Lock, Expose and Gunner you can never have more than 4 hits.  Ever.  Gunner does not double the number of hits you have.

Thanks for pointing that out, but there isn't a better way, that I though of when I did the chart, of showing what gunner does in this format. If you have a better way let me know and I fix the chart.Now that I let my mind dwell on it, I could just use a slash to divide the two attacks.

You really can't determine Gunner's effectiveness without including a set of defense dice. If you don't want to do that, you could probably just drop it from the chart; it's not very useful to say 2/2 hits.

#62 Darth Chuck

Darth Chuck

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

There is some questionable math in relation to Gunner here.  If you have a base 3 attack dice ship using Focus, Target Lock, Expose and Gunner you can never have more than 4 hits.  Ever.  Gunner does not double the number of hits you have.

Thanks for pointing that out, but there isn't a better way, that I though of when I did the chart, of showing what gunner does in this format. If you have a better way let me know and I fix the chart.Now that I let my mind dwell on it, I could just use a slash to divide the two attacks.

You really can't determine Gunner's effectiveness without including a set of defense dice. If you don't want to do that, you could probably just drop it from the chart; it's not very useful to say 2/2 hits.

I agree.  If you really want to do this, you have to have a nested spreadsheet with hit probabilities at various agility dice values to see if Gunner triggers.  Thinking more about it, enemy Evade and Focus tokens come into play...  Thinking more, my eyes are rolling into my head as I go insane...

Is there a mathematical way to model this?  Yes, but it is extremely complicated.  My rule of thumb is that the value of Gunner goes up as the agility of the target goes up and as your own attack dice value goes down.  

Sets: Core x 2, TIE x 1, X-Wing x 1, Millennium Falcon x 1, Slave-1 x 1, TIE Bomber x 1, HWK x 1, TIE-Int x 1, A-Wing x 1, Y-Wing x 1, TIE Advanced x 1

Ships: Empire: TIE Fighters x 5, Firespray x 1, TIE Bomber x 1, TIE-Int x 1, TIE Adv x 1

Rebel: X-Wing x 3, Millennium Falcon x 1, HWK x 1, A-Wing x 1, Y-Wing x 1

Fight terrorism, join the Empire!

#63 Vanderbeam

Vanderbeam

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

I've used expose on Han with Airen Cracken (VI), Jan Ors (Blaster Turret and Nien Numb) with interesting results. It's not the best build in the world, but it gives Han 6 attack at range one, which annihilates Rebels in mirror matches. Sure, it loses to tie swarms, but it's fun as all hell. Airen gives Han focus and he's got his re-roll, so it lets him really punish ships with low agility.

• gabe69velasquez and X Wing Nut like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS