Into the pit nightmare mode

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:49 AM

Just played Into the Pit nightmare mode and i have to say that one of my favorite quests became even better. It is a great example of a quest being challenging NOT punishing.

Have you played it yet?

I'd love to read your thoughts.

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#2 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

Can you elaborate on your statement? I mean "quest being challenging NOT punishing", using example of Nightmare Into the Pit.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#3 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Yeah nightmare into the pit and seventh level are amazing, easily some of my favourites now especially seventh level. Flight from Moria not so much but I've never been a fan of that quest. Agree that they increase difficulty but in a good way.
Very very excited for nightmare dwarrowdelf cycle.
  • iznax likes this

#4 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

Especially Long Dark!

Also, I wonder if they will remove sleeping sentry when they do nightmare for RtR......everyone seems to hate it so much.

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#5 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

Yeah nightmare into the pit and seventh level are amazing, easily some of my favourites now especially seventh level. Flight from Moria not so much but I've never been a fan of that quest. Agree that they increase difficulty but in a good way.

Haven't tried the other 2 yet. Seventh Level is also one of my favorites so i'm really exited to try this one to 

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#6 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

It would make more sense if they'll print another one for the Nightmare Deck rather than removing already existing :D

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#7 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

nightmare decks are so much better, and badly named I think. Not as bad as "easy" mode... but still "nightmare" is misleading.

The decks are not about making it harder. Though this might have been the initial idea behind it. After the CORE set packs there has been a growing trend in the nightmare packs to focus on FIXING the quest. Not just making it harder. They update it so it is more in sync with the power level of the pool and often make changes that make the quest narrative stronger. They are just updates plane and simple.. better versions. Being harder is just a side effect, and man are the nightmare versions better.

Khaz and Darowdelf have some of the best quests ever printed, some of the best player cards... those packs were just gold. Personally I am looking forward for The Watcher in the Water.

As for pit itself... just a fantastic quest. The new mechanisms on the torch are just so thematically awesome. The torch burning out, the party entering a cavernous dark location and getting ambushed by the lurkers, the thing that dwells waiting for that last flickering ember of the light to fade away... just awesome and this quest was ALWAYS awesome to begin with.

Edited by booored, 20 July 2014 - 07:50 AM.

• jjeagle, Glaurung, danpoage and 1 other like this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#8 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

I love the Nightmare Khazad Dum quests so far. I'd agree that they are "challenging not punishing" in that they force you to be on your A game and play smartly, but you rarely feel like you got beat unfairly or lost solely due to a bad draw.

• danpoage and PsychoRocka like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#9 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

I picked these up a while ago, but have not had the chance to play them yet. This thread has me really excited to try them out! I loved the Nightmare Scenario versions of the Core Set. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#10 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Especially Long Dark!

Also, I wonder if they will remove sleeping sentry when they do nightmare for RtR......everyone seems to hate it so much.

A new nmare encounter card: 'Discard 20 cards of the top of the encounter deck, if able. After, shuffle all copies of Sleeping Centry from discard pile into the encounter deck' ^^

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#11 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Still waiting for my KD NMode. But KD is one of my Favorite Deluxe starter so sure i will Love Nmode

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#12 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

But there is less then 20 Ncards cards for each quest in KD right?  So what do you think about it? IS better way or?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#13 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:29 AM

Here are the numbers for each KD Nightmare Scenario:

Into the Pit: 20 Nightmare Cards (6 distinct cards)
The Seventh Level: 19 Nightmare Cards (9 distinct cards)

Flight from Moria: 16 Nightmare Cards (5 distinct cards)

You can find more details here:

http://hallofbeorn.c...os/Into-the-Pit
http://hallofbeorn.c...e-Seventh-Level
http://hallofbeorn.c...ight-from-Moria

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#14 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

What I want from nightmare dwarrowdwelf is for the greaves ect of that dwarf to become treasure items (which you add to your deck if you find them so that you can get treasure across the last 3 scenarios) 

#15 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

What I want from nightmare dwarrowdwelf is for the greaves ect of that dwarf to become treasure items (which you add to your deck if you find them so that you can get treasure across the last 3 scenarios) 

So what you want from nightmare dwarrowdelf is to make the quests easier by being able to have boons...... :huh:

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS