Photo

Anyone play "The Hobbit Card Game" by FFG?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

Been looking for a new game recently and browsing the FFG list (I was looking for a boardgame)... anyway while I was looking saw a FFG game Called "The Hobbit Card Game" that I didn't really know about. Apparently it is a type of trick taking game.

I think it came out about 2 years ago or something, and maybe some of you have played it?

box-LTR15-left.png

card-fan-1.png

So anyone have any opinions on this?

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#2 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

No.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#3 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

I have played it.

It's very simple and quick. Suitable for playing with children. 

From what I can remember it's very simple trick taking mechanics (have to play in suit, highest wins) with a few special cards. It's a team game with the villain team being two players, and the heroes are three players (It works best at 5 and 3 players to maintain this balance - although it has rules for 2 and 4 as well).

I don't remember much about the good team, but for the villians one person is the dragon and gets some extra dragon themed powers. The other villian is an orc warboss. He's quite interesting because his goal is to get the dragon more tricks rather than winning himself.

However it's not (for me) very interesting. I would play it with kids, it might be a way to move from regular card games to a bit more meaty games (Introducing special powers and things like that) for adults. 

I think anyone that really enjoys the lord of the rings card game will find it very simple and not able to hold your interest for long. 

• shipwreck likes this

#4 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Just as Rapier said, it's an easy 'regular' card game. Good for parties or family gatherings. It has nothing to do with The Hobbit -- they just tacked on good art to a decent trick taking game.

#5 TwiceBornh

TwiceBornh

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

I own it and agree with Rapier and shipwreck. I got it for my wife for Xmas -- we don't play it much, and if I recall correctly, the balance between two players was not great. It's a very small box and inexpensive game, though, so it's something we consider bringing along for downtime when we go on trips.

#6 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

hmm thanks guys. I was hoping for something more and while a fun simple trick taking game can be cool, having a bad 2 player balance and more about group play is probably not going to work for me.

Thanks for giving me your opinions.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#7 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Definitely a "filler" game. I like it okay, but it is exactly as the others described. A simple trick-taking card game with a vaneer of theme. The team dynamics with different roles for each individual do make it stand out some from other simple card games.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS