Ultimate Fix for TIE Advanced

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

If that's the direction we wanted to go, why not just have a card that allows you to equip a free systems upgrade? Then you have some choice in how you upgrade your advanced.

I was aiming to give the Advanced additional damage output to help buff it, without opening up the can of worms that Advanced Sensors shenanigans can bring. You could give it the System Upgrade slot, and specify that any equipped System Upgrade would be at a -2 discount. But do we really want / need a full system upgrade on it? Personally I don't think it is necessary.

The free firecontrol may balance but it's not very thematic...

I don't know - I think it is. The TIE Advanced has a better Targeting system than the standard TIE, and it makes Cluster Missiles very good on them, which they were known for using.

Does it have a better targeting system than everything else? I suppose it could be argued both ways, but it doesn't feel right to me. I'd just lower the cost myself.

Edited by Lagomorphia, 24 July 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#82 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Lowering the cost is a viable option, but less interesting from a game design standpoint. It still wouldn't have a useful purpose. With FCS at least it has something unique, namely FCS Cluster Missiles. They would be very good YT-1300 / Decimator hunters.

#83 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

I'd just lower the cost myself.

That's problematic, though. How much should it go down? Two points is reasonable; MJ would say 4 points. But in either case it's nudging around the Interceptor's cost, with better durability and PS structure but weaker offense, action bar, and dial. Personally I'd rather have the Interceptor, which won't live as long but will probably accomplish more.

And it's also still not very attractive next to a Bomber. Your selection of ordnance is more restricted in kind and number, and your dial is arguably less effective. Your defense is, as discussed, still stronger--but defense isn't particularly rewarded, and it would take an improbably massive trim to get you to even the same cost as the Bomber.

At the risk of repeating myself, the TIE Advanced doesn't really have a cost problem (although its value is certainly lower than its cost)--it has an ignorability problem, which a cost cut won't fix. Whatever FFG does to the Advanced, assuming they do anything at all, is going to have to be a lot more complex than the Chaardan Refit was for the A-wing.
  • Torresse and Sithborg like this

#84 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

I would argue that Vader is not an ignorable ship.

But for the most part, even reducing it's cost the generic Advances will have an issue finding a role.

#85 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I would argue that Vader is not an ignorable ship.

Sure he is. His expected damage output isn't particularly bothersome, especially not for the amount of points he's occupying in your list, and he's a less than stellar finisher.

I'm an angelic creature free of sin.

#86 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Play around with Vader, Engine, and Outmaneuver. As much as I'm loving playing around with the Defender, this Vader set up is pretty nasty.

#87 period3

period3

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

I always liked the death star run with the tie advanced flanked by tie fighters in formation.  It'd make thematic sense for the tie advanced to buff or be buffed by adjacent tie fighters.

Something like this could be really fun, but probably needs tweaking (I haven't done the math):

Title, Wing Commander:  Gain secondary attack: you may perform a range 1-2 secondary attack by summing your base primary attack value with those of up to two adjacent tie fighters that have not yet attacked this round. Those tie fighters may not attack again this round.

(thematically this would be all three ships firing at the same time)

This three ship formation would be a good way of dealing with high agility ships like the e-wing. 

#88 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Play around with Vader, Engine, and Outmaneuver. As much as I'm loving playing around with the Defender, this Vader set up is pretty nasty.

I haven't tried him with Outmaneuver yet, but I'm no stranger to Vader. Don't get me wrong, I actually really like him as a ship, I'm just not impressed by his offensive potential (or lack thereof).

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 24 July 2014 - 04:38 PM.

I'm an angelic creature free of sin.

#89 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

I haven't tried him with Outmaneuver yet, but I'm no stranger to Vader. Don't get me wrong, I actually really like him as a ship, I'm just not impressed by his offensive potential (or lack thereof).

Outmaneuver helps with damage potential, as you say there is a concern attacking say a B-wing it takes 4 rounds (probably) even with Outmaneuver to chew one up but combine his ability to dodge arcs (boost+barrel roll) and his ability to stack focus/target locks at range one he certainly is dangerous as a closer.  Proton Rockets will give him very nasty alpha strike potential when they are released.

I took 1st at a small tourney with Vader+Outmaneuver+EU, Rexlar +Predator, and  2 Academies. His output was low but it was consistent as well as taking a lot of punishment allowing the Academies to cause quite a bit of Damage

#90 Winner

Winner

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

I think FFG should launch a new blister with Tie Avengers (remodeled). This will also allow for higher sales.

*Add boost (the Tie Avenger was faster than any other TIE version of ship save perhaps the original Defender x7)
Boost also allows the Proton Rockets to be more viable with the Avenger since you can boost into Range 1.

*Lower point cost (being careful not to lower by too much)

*Add unique titles, upgrades and pilots that are intriguing

I'd totally buy multiples.

Edited by Winner, 24 July 2014 - 07:07 PM.

Rebel Alliance: 6 [X-Wing], 3 [Y-Wing], 3 [A-Wing], 4 [B-Wing], 2 [HWK-290], 2 [YT-1300], 1 [GR75 Transport], 3 [CR90 Corvette], 7 [Z-95], 2 [E-Wing]

Empire: 10 [Tie Fighter], 2 [Tie Advanced], 10 [Tie Interceptor], 4 [Tie Bomber], 2 [Firespray-31], 3 [Lambda Shuttle], 2 [Tie Phantom], 3 [Tie Defender]

#91 Jaden Ckast

Jaden Ckast

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

I have enough faith in my search skills that I'm confident I could find what I was looking for before someone got around to answering a question posted here. So yes, I would spend the time right then and there rather than wait for someone to respond.
So, is it time to talk about Y-Wing Aces again, or is it too soon?

Are you also confident enough in your skills to just overlook a topic you have no interest in? I genuinely enjoy your advice and your experience in this game but I disagree on this point. 1st there is no rule against double posts and 2nd is it really that big of a deal? I mean there are seriously so many other things to complain about that are more serious and yet certain people (not saying you) insist on badgering new posters about this subject. There are kind posts made giving a brief answer and then telling the poster to see x topic here which is an awesome way to approach it. But simply telling them things like "not this topic again" or "use the search function" not the best way in my opinion. Just ease up on it it's a Star Wars community just relax and be courteous to others.

Again nothing personal just another opinion is all.
I also agree with eaglets 111 that is a super simple and easy fix to it. Nothing complicated either.

I'm not bent out of shape at either of your posts, so you don't have to worry about me taking offense. Perhaps you feel that I'm with the "why are we talking about this again?" crowd, which wasn't really the point of my last response to you. You can see for yourself that my first post was constructive and on topic, which wouldn't have been the case if I'd really wanted to make a stink about another TIE Advanced thread. You asked a question - one that was, admittedly, not directed toward me - and I answered it as honestly as I could. My answer wasn't meant to infer that everyone is (or should be) as capable as I am, only that the likeliness of someone being able to find answers or topics for themselves isn't as remote as you might have us believe.

Well said :) I apologize if I lumped you in with the rest. Like I said I really do appreciate your insights on xwing. I think the majority of double posts come from either new players or players who don't have the time to spend right then to find an answer and would rather post and then come back later to it. Sometimes the answer can be quite obscure tho or perhaps they just missed it as well. Maybe not too haha.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS