#21 Mantis Creations

Mantis Creations

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:53 AM

Update: X-Wing components tray prototype

https://www.kickstar...se/posts/922151

Hey all,

I have the prototype tray made for the components section of the X-Wing set. These photos were taking by the manufacturer but should illustrate to you what it can do. Hope you like them!

Leave any comments/feedback please.

uuynsqU.jpg

8Dw0263.jpg

Thanks!

#22 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:02 AM

personally i wouldn't waste foam on storage of products that DONT need foam protection...  would get a plano 3700 case with adjustable shelves for the nick nacks...  I do keep my dials and base parts with my ships though in the same trey for convenience. so what keeps the x wing from moving around and crashing into things? . also is the case hard sided, if not what will keep it from getting scrunched when it is picked up by the side?? 

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#23 oekmont

oekmont

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

To be honest, your trays look far to easy-made for me to buy them. It doesn't seem as if you spend much thoughts on them. I have constructed my own case, so I know, what I am talking about. The relation between cards and tokens isn't very practical. There isn't nearly enough space for upgrade cards. Here is a link to my result. It took a whole day just for the design (I am an imperial only player).

http://moseisleyraum...in-neuer-koffer

I can separate all categories of upgrades and ships, the relation between tokens, ships and cards is optimized. Every small ship type fits (even HWK's) and is well protected. And finally I can presort every single ship type.

Edited by oekmont, 23 July 2014 - 06:16 AM.

• Keffisch, Swedge and Slugrage like this

#24 Mantis Creations

Mantis Creations

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

personally i wouldn't waste foam on storage of products that DONT need foam protection...  would get a plano 3700 case with adjustable shelves for the nick nacks...  I do keep my dials and base parts with my ships though in the same trey for convenience. so what keeps the x wing from moving around and crashing into things? . also is the case hard sided, if not what will keep it from getting scrunched when it is picked up by the side?? 

The purpose of this tray was for players to store everything they need in one case. As I mentioned in the post the manufacturer took these pictures and just filled up the slots to the best of his knowledge he doesn't play the game.

There is a "fighter" tray that stores these ships.

To be honest, your trays look far to easy-made for me to buy them. It doesn't seem as if you spend much thoughts on them. I have constructed my own case, so I know, what I am talking about. The relation between cards and tokens isn't very practical. There isn't nearly enough space for upgrade cards. Here is a link to my result. It took a whole day just for the design (I am an imperial only player).

I can separate all categories of upgrades and ships, the relation between tokens, ships and cards is optimized. Every small ship type fits (even HWK's) and is well protected. And finally I can presort every single ship type.

I diagree with you on this because looking at your trays they all look a tight fitting and not making it easy to take items out (apart from the cards). Also I put a lot of time and effort into these designs, I haven't seen any competitor able to make a fighter tray fit all the ships, allowing for double stacking, or a slot that allows players to fit a slave 1 or a shuttle. And if my designs were as bad as you claim my kickstarter would have failed.

Thanks for your posts.

#25 Okapi

Okapi

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

Thinking of backing this one, but OP, your defensiveness is kind of off-putting. You have an interesting product at a great price, no need to talk down the competition or insist a once-size-fits-all solution is preferable when nearly everyone here seems to disagree with you. Battlefoam and KR definitely have their downsides (too specialized compartments and suboptimal use of space, respectively), but it's a bit much to consider your option objectively better.

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

#26 Mantis Creations

Mantis Creations

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

Thinking of backing this one, but OP, your defensiveness is kind of off-putting. You have an interesting product at a great price, no need to talk down the competition or insist a once-size-fits-all solution is preferable when nearly everyone here seems to disagree with you. Battlefoam and KR definitely have their downsides (too specialized compartments and suboptimal use of space, respectively), but it's a bit much to consider your option objectively better.

When I am asked a question I give them a straight answer (too many companies give the ring around) I guess people on this board take them being overtly defensive but I'm just being direct with them (I am the same with other forums and haven't had any problems), maybe a selective of the posters are sensitive? Who knows? So please don't take it as any attacks on you, the competition or anyone else I'm just answering your questions :)

I can understand people disagreeing with me on my designs but few of them give any input to a solution, and yet on other forums I get feedback and many backers. KR and BF make good products and I have never talked down or bad mouthed them but when it comes to X-Wing I believe they could do more than just cut pre select slots for certain ships and you can't do anything else. Look at my slave 1/shuttle slot for example I always put the needs of the players as the top priority. What do they need? How many can I fit in the most of what they need so they don't need to buy more trays? These are among the many questions I ask myslf while designign the trays.

I do appreciate your concideration of my product, I make the slots generic enough so they can be used with future wave releases to save people having to buy multiple trays and save you money.

Thanks for your post

Edited by Mantis Creations, 24 July 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#27 Okapi

Okapi

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

When do you expect to be able to ship?

#28 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

I'm sorry but I think you missed the boat for the x-wing crowd:  Had you had this available when wave 1 was new, I believe you would get more takers.  But now we are on wave 4+ with many players having vast fleets.  Tackle boxes also offer far better storage and organization than just a slot in a foam tray with every token dumped into it.  I have a very similar tray to what you are offering, it sits empty and unused in my garage.

Don't take any of this as harsh or mean; just hard consumer critique.  Offering custom cut trays or trays laid out with shape specific ship shapes, either at lower prices, would be the avenue to pursue IMHO.

Enimo Et Fide

#29 Okapi

Okapi

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

Specific ship shapes are good, but don't make them too specific. Battlefoam takes it too far, I think, almost to the extent that it would influence my purchases. X-Wings, Headhunters and E-Wings should fit in the same slots, as should A-Wings, Interceptors, Advances and Phantoms, and HWKs and Y-Wings. Out of all the small ships, only the really weird ones like TIE Defenders and B-Wings would need something specific to them.

#30 oekmont

oekmont

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

I diagree with you on this because looking at your trays they all look a tight fitting and not making it easy to take items out (apart from the cards). Also I put a lot of time and effort into these designs, I haven't seen any competitor able to make a fighter tray fit all the ships, allowing for double stacking, or a slot that allows players to fit a slave 1 or a shuttle. And if my designs were as bad as you claim my kickstarter would have failed.

Thanks for your posts.

No, they fit fine, but are easy to remove, because they are fixed with their base plate. My major critique are not the square fields for the ships, but the relation between cards and ships, wich does not seen practical. I don't know why no other company made slave/shuttle slots, but I did not have to, because I knew how many ships had to be store. I really hope your business will succeed. But I don't see any advantage over "Feldherr" foams, wich are about 4€.  A sidecutter and 1 min per foam, and they fit better than yours. If you beat that price, I'll see your point.

#31 Mantis Creations

Mantis Creations

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

@Everyone

Thanks for your comments and concerns hopefully they will be answered in the kickstarter which I have updated.

I have done an update on the prices found here - https://www.kickstar...l-storage-case/

53 hours left!

#32 Mantis Creations

Mantis Creations

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

23 hours left!

#33 Dagger Squadron

Dagger Squadron

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Not for me. I like having specific ship slots to fit my specific collection.

It did look like a couple of posters got a little too into it though. Fact of the matter is you can have a generic fit or a ship specific cut. The latter is already being offered and the OP feels that his one size fits all is something people want and that's cool.

I only anticipate having a certain number of the ships that are out so I have found my solution for storing them and the only change I have coming are future releases. Good luck though good sir!
Imperial: 2 TIE Defenders, 4 TIE Fighters, Firespray 31, TIE Phantom
Rebel Alliance: 3 X-wing, E-wing, Ace B-wing, Ace A-wing

#34 Mantis Creations

Mantis Creations

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

Under an hour left people! ;)

Not for me. I like having specific ship slots to fit my specific collection.

It did look like a couple of posters got a little too into it though. Fact of the matter is you can have a generic fit or a ship specific cut. The latter is already being offered and the OP feels that his one size fits all is something people want and that's cool.

I only anticipate having a certain number of the ships that are out so I have found my solution for storing them and the only change I have coming are future releases. Good luck though good sir!

Thanks for the support, hopefully you will see one of my products in the flesh and change your mind! ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS