KNOW YOUR PILOTS

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, "Pops" called Dutch Hutch instead. I never knew until years later that it was wrong. Anyway, a few others: Ten Numb is seen in the Endor briefing before the shuttle Tydirium is launched, Lt. Blount is the second gunner of the Millenium Falcon during Endor, Horton Salm is Grey Leader during Endor, Arvel Crynyd is Green Leader during Endor, and Jake Farrell is the old A-Wing pilot who lead away TIE's when Red and Gold Squadrons when Lando asks them to break off.

Actually come to think of it, do we even see any of Tycho in the movies at all?

Also, isn't "Winged Gundark" part of Obsidian Squadron as well?

According to the Rogue Squadron Books it was Tycho who flew into the second death star with wedge and peeled off to lead the pursing interceptors off his back

I've heard that.

To be honest I've never read them, myself, however I have heard that Tycho was with Jake on the way out of the Death Star, you just don't see him on screen.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds really are..."

#62 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

Excellent job, good searchand well presented, I love it, greettings.

• Explosive Ewok likes this

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#63 Gibarian

Gibarian

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

Cool thread.

There's a better photo of Tarn Mison on Wookiepedia, from the Decipher CCG I believe. I can't speak to its provenance, or where in the movies it comes from (for all I know a scruffy fanboy might have dressed himself up in Rebel cosplay gear and taken a picture of himself).

#64 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

Cool thread.

There's a better photo of Tarn Mison on Wookiepedia, from the Decipher CCG I believe. I can't speak to its provenance, or where in the movies it comes from (for all I know a scruffy fanboy might have dressed himself up in Rebel cosplay gear and taken a picture of himself).

Yeah thanks for the info. I went there when I was researching and was very tempted by that nice photo, but my intention was to find the pilots and present them here as they were shown in the films. I was sad to see that Tarn was hard to capture, and even under best circumstances is blurry and not lit properly.

The guy who actually played him, however, was Michael Pangrazio, a matte artist that worked on ESB. That whole scene was played not by actors, but members of the production team.

Ralph McQuarrie even shows in that scene coming from the right. I love that trivia, I just found out about it in creating this thread and I think it's my favorite piece of trivia I know.

Ralph McQuarrie is a badass.

"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds really are..."

#65 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:07 AM

" In 2000, Decipher, Inc.released their Death Star II Limited expansion for the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. In the set, they identified the previous unnamed Gray Leader from Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi as Salm, retconning the character into the film, the novelization, and the radio drama. A shot of the actor who played Gray Leader was also used to represent Red Two."

got this off of wookieepeedia 200px-RedTwo_Endor.png

nvm I see youo already got it on the first page...

Edited by Torresse, 24 July 2014 - 01:10 AM.

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#66 Tipperary

Tipperary

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

mI2Nj0N_3YfCvbPwT8uBD4A.jpg

This is Bruce Willis with hair, isn't it?

[3] |-o-| [1] {«o»} [3] (-o-) [1] {-o-o-} [1] ≤†≥ [1] /╧\ [1] Defender [1] Phantom [1] <Φ>
[3] >:♦:< [1] ¤±¤ [2] -/•\- [2] † [1] ┴■┴ [1] «ow?» [1] ◄ttHtt► [2] •-:ô:- [2] .-A-. [1] •-«÷»
[4]-:ô:-[2] ¤±¤ [2] }■{ [4] ¬Θ⌐ [2] «¬≡⌐»

#67 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

mI2Nj0N_3YfCvbPwT8uBD4A.jpg

This is Bruce Willis with hair, isn't it?

Haha..

Actually I was curious who they got to portray Horn in this shot, maybe some random actor or something. Turns out it's the guy who actually wrote Rogue Squadron and came up with the Corran Horn character.

I thought that was kind of cool.
  • ID X T likes this

#68 superdave

superdave

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

(Michael Stackpole. The Talon Karrde card image is a shot of Timothy Zahn.)

• bobbywhiskey and Explosive Ewok like this

#69 Hanu

Hanu

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Interesting note about Soonitor Fel, ended up marrying Wedge's sister and disappearing with her forcing Wedge to potential kill his brother in law whenever he engaged the 181st squadron, and he was also somewhat of a traitor, fought for the imperials and the rebels

When you have so challenging marriage and your wife gets older (and grumpier), that sort of transition is bound to happen soontir or later.

Husbands got to do what husbands got to do... He is still a great guy. :)

Edited by Hanu, 24 July 2014 - 08:37 AM.

Forces of Disarray: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 2 B-wing, 2 E-Wing, 4 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR90

Forces of Order: 8 TIE/LN, 2 TIE advanced x1, 8 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/sa Bomber, 2 TIE/D, 2 TIE Phantom, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31

#70 bobbywhiskey

bobbywhiskey

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Wait wait wait, Leebo? "Second pilot for the YT-2400?" Did I miss an article or something?!

No, it's just obvious if you've read/played shadows of the empire. I think you can see something like "Lee" on the card in the article as well. 

Also, you mention that there are 2 named pilots for yt2400 (dash and leebo), but it's got a 3rd, just like all of the other big ships. Eaden vrill, a character apparently added as an additional crew member in a book that takes place before shadows of the empire.

#71 RookieOne

RookieOne

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

Just watched the Space battle for Endor (because why not!) and on the topic of who fly's into the death star, you could argue both Tycho and Arven flew in there as the order in which they enter is

Wedge

A-Wing Pilot

Falcon

Another A-Wing Pilot

Y-Wing

X-Wing (who gets shot and gives Lando the idea to split up)

So they both could be in the Death Star run and then head off to the Executor. Loving this post though, hats off to you and hats off to FFG for not only going this indepth but also giving each pilots special rules a relation to thier role in the film however small!

Edited by RookieOne, 25 July 2014 - 05:23 AM.

In the musings of Ron Swanson "I have a certain amount of X-Wing, stored in a certain place...i've said too much"

#72 superdave

superdave

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

Ok, I KNOW this is off-topic, but according to the post above^, the squad that flew in to the Death Star II was (at least) this:

Wedge Antilles (29) + Proton Torpedoes (4)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Lando Calrissian (44) + Nien Nunb (1) + Concussion Missiles (4) + Millennium Falcon (1) + Gunner (5)
Jake Farrell (24) + A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Red Squadron Pilot (23)

for a total of 181 points. Wedge probably has Squad Leader (2) and Tycho and Jake both might have Push the Limit (3 x2). If Wedge was using his usual astromech, he should have an R5 (1) and the Red and Gray pilots would have either an R2 or R5 astromech (1 x2). You could argue the Falcon has an Engine Upgrade (4) and, based on Lando's flying, anything but Expert Handling (perhaps Daredevil, 3). Jake Farrell's second Elite trait (unlocked by the Test Pilot title) could be Decoy (2). All that brings the squad to 201 points. There aren't quite enough open upgrade slots to get to the Epic 300 points without adding a ship, but that squad's certainly outside the basic tournament dogfight level of 100 points.

• Ghost Vader and Explosive Ewok like this

#73 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

GEMMER SOJAN: This upcoming A-Wing pilot for the Rebel Aces expansion can be seen running up to the group meeting already underway talking about how to escape Hoth and cover their transports.

29oopjp.jpg

COMMANDER KENKIRK: Recently spoiled pilot for the upcoming VT-49 Decimator, Kenkirk is an interesting choice as far as Imperial pilots. Under the command of Captain Sait, he and Kenkirk had the intention of selling the Imperial Star Destroyer Blackguard to the Black Sun crime organization and going rogue from the Empire. Sait gave himself the title of Grand Admiral and promoted Kenkirk to Commander. Before the transaction could be take place, spacers boarded the Blackguard and killed Kenkirk and Sait for command of the ISD.

xm7wcn.jpg

EADEN VRILL: Co-pilot for Dash Rendar before Shadows of the Empire was to take place. Vrill lost his life to Edge, an assassin hired to kill force-sensitive individuals. Leebo would avenge his death soon after.

15zql2e.jpg

NERA DANTELS: Love interest of Biggs Darklighter, this upcoming Rebel Aces B-Wing pilot was a smuggler that gave aide to the Rebel Alliance in the form of a dozen R2 and R5 astromechs prior to the Battle of Yavin. She would eventually go on to become a member of Dagger Squadron.

qpmgwo.jpg
  • swimmingordy likes this

#74 Rithrin

Rithrin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

This thread is awesome. Good work, man.

I can't believe Fel's Wrath is technically in the movies... he's practically not even in the game :P

#75 TheBlueMax

TheBlueMax

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

If any one wants to see info about the astromechs this is the page to visit.

http://www.angelfire...chs/page10.html

#76 swimmingordy

swimmingordy

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

http://web-images.ch...4-1-600x450.jpg

Off topic on X Wing but on topic of SW, I loved making the connection that General Veers is Grand Maester Pycelle in another universe.
  • X Wing Nut and Dronevil like this

#77 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

If any one wants to see info about the astromechs this is the page to visit.

http://www.angelfire...chs/page10.html

That's a really awesome link, thanks for that!

#78 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

http://web-images.ch...4-1-600x450.jpg
Off topic on X Wing but on topic of SW, I loved making the connection that General Veers is Grand Maester Pycelle in another universe.

That's from Game of Thrones isn't it?

Still haven't watched that show.

#79 swimmingordy

swimmingordy

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Heard they made some really good book adaptations from the show too :). But, you're correct he's on the show. And does an excellent job!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS