• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Could be that we'll see Bith in either the Technician career book or maybe the Engineer (AoR) career book.  Diplomat career book (again AoR) is possible but seems kind of a stretch to me.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#42 devinebovine

devinebovine

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

In my mind, "Edge of the Empire" MEANS the scenes in the cantina and Jabba's palace. This line is about the weirdos, the outcasts, the criminals. So I, for one, am absolutely thrilled at the Chevin. Visually they fit perfectly with my concept of this line, and there are canonical precedents for them being either jerks or decent folk.

Also I think the inclusion of the Gran are also for people like me, who are waiting to buy the AoR book until later on. I'm running a pure EotE game, and while I'm sure there's stuff in AoR that I could use, Far Horizons is both cheaper and more immediately impactful on my current game. Not everyone buys every book as soon as it comes out, and by having some redundancy FFG is helping to provide material for those of us who don't.

• jonamok likes this

#43 Lotr_Nerd

Lotr_Nerd

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Bith would have made more since then Chevin to me that is like saying that the Trandoshans have a colony on Kashyyk.

#44 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

I wonder if they are saving the Bith for a Tatooine sourcebook

• 2P51 likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#45 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

I wonder if they have pictures on a wall and just throw darts.... :mellow:

• Lotr_Nerd, kaosoe, Maelora and 2 others like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#46 Jaspor

Jaspor

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

As a Doctor, I'm excited for this book. Though I'm a little underwhelmed by the signature abilities as described in this article...

• kaosoe likes this

Jaspor - Edge of the Empire player and GM

Obsidian Portal Campaign - The Second Chance

#47 DavetheLost

DavetheLost

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Chevin instead of Bith are the surprise for me too. Nice though to see the Chevin, they seem less human than many of the Star Wars aliens.

As for "canon" it is not like Star Wars is Holy Writ. As long as the game hangs together cohesively and is fun to play I don't really care if it exactly matches every page of every novel, panel of every comic, and frame of every film. The three (err six, no wait it's seven with an eighth in production) films and the TV shows already contradict themselves at numerous points. And that is without going back through the various edits and revisions...

#48 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

I'm hoping that down the line we'll see all the cantina aliens, including the non-humanoid/non-bipedal lamproid.
  • devinebovine and I. J. Thompson like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#49 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

FFG has altered the canon... pray they don't alter it further. Or that they do.

If they can sense heat, chamges in body temp would account for this ability.

I'm kinda lost.  What canon are they altering? 

I've watched the clone wars, maybe I missed one or two episodes but I don't recall more then a few  Arcona in them.  None of them were major characters, except for maybe the drill sgt one that trained the clones.  There was no mention of thermal senses in any of the shows I saw but I'm not sure there would have been.  I never saw one that showed trando regen either. It isn't like the species run around talking about all their cool powers.  

In the movies the arcona got like a 3 second pass over. 

There aren't any more canon sources that I know of.

Given that all this has to be approved by The Star Wars Supreme Court prior to printing,  it would suggest that the thermal senses are the canon rulings.

Edited by Shamrock, 20 July 2014 - 09:19 PM.

• kaosoe and knasserII like this

Be well,

Sham

#50 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

With my 'canon' comment, the intent was that FFG has and will make changes if they deem it necessary. Someone said the arcona were good at reading moods, of which they have never been described at being good at that. I was pointing out that FFG has, seemingly, altered the established/known facts about the species.
  • Shamrock likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#51 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

And on a related note:

Just when you thought the Aqualish couldn't get any uglier!  :lol:

SWE10_8154_PoliticalGladhandling_Caravan

#52 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

^ kinda reminds me of my ex girlfriends "rabbit", the head shape and all that.
Then again, it's better then I could do... My drawing would look more like the burrow.

Edited by Shamrock, 19 July 2014 - 10:13 AM.

Be well,

Sham

#53 Drathen

Drathen

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

Wow, they're all fugly... again? Disappointing.

I'd prefer to see some more races who would actually be leads in a Star Wars story; those who look relatively human.  Zabrak, togruta, pantorans, kiffar, arkanians, etc.  I agree with Castlecruncher that most of these races we've seen recently just fill out the crowd scenes for Jabba's palace.

Agreed!

Very Disappointing...

• Maelora likes this

#54 Aluminium Falcon

Aluminium Falcon

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

org_esp_chevin.jpg

Lorenzo, here, is a supermodel back on Vinsoth. :wub:

Don't be racist. ;)

Edited by Aluminium Falcon, 19 July 2014 - 07:14 PM.

• BrashFink and Shamrock like this

#55 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

If they really wanted to fill the role of entertainer and draw from the Jabba's palace scene, look no further:

1159631-askajian.jpg

• BrashFink likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#56 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

In 'The Old Republic', the playable races are Human, Chiss, Cyborg, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith, Twi'lek, Zabrak and Cathar. 

I'd throw in Torgruta too, but these are what I'd call 'PC races'.  These are the species who might play a lead role in most films, books, comics, etc.

Yes, Star Wars has lots of 'aliens'.  But mostly - certainly in the films, I'm not into the EU - the weirder bug-eyed ones are relegated to supporting roles or just background fluff.  The leads are played by humans or near-humans.

Don't get me wrong, I want a mix of the two, but we've been seeing far more freaky ones than humanoid ones lately.  It's fine for those who want to play oddball characters, but a party comprised of Gran, Ithorians, Chevin, Arcona and Toydarians just feels odd to me. Like those 4E D&D parties comprised of Thri-Kreen, Warforged and Shardminds instead of elves and dwarves. 

I'd sooner we'd see something iconic like Zabrak or Mirialans before they scrape the bottom of the barrel for things like Lamproids or Amani.  So if they get around to 'Dangerous Covenants 3' or something, I will forgive them for having the playable species as Ewoks, Gungans and Lepi...

Edited by Maelora, 20 July 2014 - 01:06 AM.

• RLogue177, kaosoe and 2P51 like this

#57 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

I think there's a fair bit of reason for FFG to at some point though, break out of the 2-arms, 2 legs, 1 head mould and make some actual 'alien' critters with different anatomy. Sure, you can make them green, blue, hairy, scaly and so forth, but the standard humanoid-alien is pretty much just another human that looks different in a lot of cases.

Something like the Bealisk with 4 arms, a Sluissi with the snake tail and even a shape-changer like a Shi'ido could make for some interesting expansion on the reasons to play a certain species. At the moment its sort of mostly a case of picking a species on its numerical stats and some minor species traits to suit a career challenge, rather than an actual roleplaying challenge.  

#58 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

In 'The Old Republic', the playable races are Human, Chiss, Cyborg, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith, Twi'lek, Zabrak and Cathar. 

I'd throw in Torgruta too, but these are what I'd call 'PC races'.  These are the species who might play a lead role in most films, books, comics, etc.

Of those, Cyborg, Mirialan, Rattataki, and "Pureblood" Sith are really just Humans with a different external appearance.

Zabrak and Togrutas are most likely going to be in Force and Destiny given those two species strong connections with Jedi in the films and TV series.

Cathar and Miraluka are generally more of "Old Republic" species and with the product line's focus on the Rebellion Era, I wouldn't get my hopes up for ever seeing those, particularly with KRKappel's comment about the vast number of species out there that do have representatives in the Rebellion Era.  They'd probably have a better chance of showing up if FFG ever does a core rulebook for a KOTOR-era setting.

• Maelora likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#59 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

How about the dralasite

dralasite1.jpg

or the vrusk?

Vrusk.jpg

• BrashFink, Maelora and TXRyanLee like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#60 Aluminium Falcon

Aluminium Falcon

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

For the multitude of "humans + cosmetic difference + modest power/stat difference" not yet represented my rag-tags have been content use Humans, create the character toward an alien concept and then we all just agree that the PC has whatever alien appearance and go on our merry way with the game (although, full disclosure, only the Zabrak is being played at this time).

The general agreement is that should the alien in question get a write-up in the future, adjustments can be made, if desired.

With even the best of the EU now in the realm of Legends, Humans return as overwhelmingly the protagonists of the Galaxy Far, Far away (the droids, Chewie, Jar-Jar and even Yoda are, really, supporting cast). Tano being the most notable and regular alien protagonist left in canon (one-off "Clone Wars" episodes focusing on side characters the only other exception).

And Tano's inclusion specifically to appeal to a younger demographic means that she can be alien (as many preteens/teens think of themselves) but not too alien (she must stay relateable).

Also, canonocity aside, the KotoR/SWtOW games provide a skewed view of protagonists as games generally need to keep within certain design parameters for the main 'toon.

In an RPG, however, each individual has a certain latitude to decide what sort of being is relatable or desirable. 

A humanoid-centrism loses some of its importance and thus valuable book space on "Human but with fur... and oh yeah, an affinity for that skill over there" strikes me as wasteful (for my part, I very much extend that opinion to non-humanoid aliens that, stat-wise, don't bring any significantly new toy to the table).

Let's say, for the sake of this example, that Duros* were still not yet published.  You could achieve much the same effect by using Human and applying the two skill ranks you get as a Human to Astrogation and Piloting (Space). 

Ah-ha, you say, those ranks can only be applied to non-career skills, and what are the odds of someone playing Duros without those? Very true.  In that case I would, as GM, adjudicate that the ranks can be applied regardless of career skills and even assert that the non-human bias encountered during an Imperial-run setting due to appearance more than offsets the advantage gained. 

TA-DA!  Duros!

A Sullustan could be a "human" allowed to purchase "Skilled Jockey" outside of the talent tree, perhaps.

Mon Calamari amphibiousness?  A bit tougher to adjudicate and they are iconic.  Sure, add them to a book.

Ithorians and their bellow?  Yeah, put that in a book.

Not to say that I object to any of the above (and various others) getting page space.  I am just glad the game has branched off into the more exotic and would, personally, (almost) always choose "strange" over "variation on a theme" with my disposable income.

*Chosen as we have a published example to compare to but is still "exotic" in EotE.

Edited by Aluminium Falcon, 20 July 2014 - 07:54 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS