Far Horizons Species Revealed

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

So Arcona, Gran, and Chevin. New article finally revealed them.

I wrote a pretty big chunk of this one, so I'm really psyched for it to come out!

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4924

• I. J. Thompson, GoblynByte, whafrog and 5 others like this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#2 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Happy to see Arcona. Chevin are an interesting choice, but I'm pretty sure none of my players would have any interest in playing them. Since I have AoR, the Gran don't mean much to me.

• Zar likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#3 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I'm not surprised at seeing the gran. While I'm disappointed at the lack of bith, the inclusion of arcona more than makes up for it.

Chevin is indeed out of the blue, but nice to see something unexpected.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#4 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Well there is a human on the cover so at least we didn't get another human variant.  

I do like the Dewback desert caravan artwork.  Looking forward to the additional gear.  The book itself I am looking forward to quite a bit, all three specs intrigue me.

The Signature Abilities are ok, not 'Last Man Standing' cool, but that would be tough to match.

Edited by 2P51, 16 July 2014 - 06:03 PM.

• HappyDaze, kaosoe, Jaspor and 1 other like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#5 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Chevin are the kind of character option that has some awesome potential, but you don't notice them until you're making your fourth character, have tried the standards, and are looking to mix it up. I'm glad they are there, despite – or because of – their lack of "obvious choice"-ness.

Edited by Doc, the Weasel, 16 July 2014 - 06:03 PM.

• kaosoe likes this

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#6 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Call me vain, but I would have loved something a bit more aesthetically pleasing after the species choices from the last book. Ah well. Chevin should be cool at least.

• I. J. Thompson, Zar, Drathen and 1 other like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#7 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Call me vain, but I would have loved something a bit more aesthetically pleasing after the species choices from the last book. Ah well. Chevin should be cool at least.

Can I get a 'woop woop' for Zabraks and Zygerrians..........?.......... :huh:

• Doc, the Weasel, kaosoe and Ranger1060 like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#8 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

I'm surprised there wasn't another human variant honestly since Humanity seems to colonize more worlds than mot other species in Star Wars. As I understand most of the near-Human species are descended from Human colonies ancient enough that their inhabitants evolved into significantly different forms. And since the Chiss are one of the near-human species I mentioned we're not sure how many lost human colonies are out there because at least some made to the Unknown regions.

The only other species I recall which has colonies old enough that the descendents of the colonists evolved into a new sub-species are the Duros. The Neimoidians are descended from an ancient Duros colony though the Duros don't like to admit that they are related.

And I believe that the original human population of Coruscant was a colony that eventually drove the native inhabitants off-world though where the colonists came from has never been established IMO.

• Icosiel likes this

#9 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

Whoop whoop!

I, myself, was hoping for some more... Reasonable choices. I get Gran, and I suppose Arconian might make sense, but Chevan? That's a scene right out of Jabba's Palace, right there! It's the same issue with Selonians, Drall, and Ithorians: despite being awesome, they don't fit in the game (Selonians and Drall prefer to stay at home, and Ithorians don't like to join conflict).

On the other hand, makes for a great reference if you decide to have a strange alien encounter, or as a choice for a group of galactic misfits; unleash your squad of Chevan, Wookiee, Selonian, Drall, Gand, Toydarian, and/or Ithorian, and stick out like a sore thumb in any situation!
  • Lotr_Nerd, kaosoe, Maelora and 2 others like this

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

-Elie Wiesel

#10 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

I'm surprised there wasn't another human variant honestly since Humanity seems to colonize more worlds than mot other species in Star Wars. As I understand most of the near-Human species are descended from Human colonies ancient enough that their inhabitants evolved into significantly different forms. And since the Chiss are one of the near-human species I mentioned we're not sure how many lost human colonies are out there because at least some made to the Unknown regions.

I really don't think there is justification to take up space in a splat book with a near-human species. That is something that can be easily done easily between Player and GM. I like the fact they are doing ALIENS, because that helps out players when they want to play something different, and the GMs

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 9/6/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode I'

Last Update 9/20/14

#11 JBC22

JBC22

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Whoop whoop!

I, myself, was hoping for some more... Reasonable choices. I get Gran, and I suppose Arconian might make sense, but Chevan? That's a scene right out of Jabba's Palace, right there! It's the same issue with Selonians, Drall, and Ithorians: despite being awesome, they don't fit in the game (Selonians and Drall prefer to stay at home, and Ithorians don't like to join conflict).

On the other hand, makes for a great reference if you decide to have a strange alien encounter, or as a choice for a group of galactic misfits; unleash your squad of Chevan, Wookiee, Selonian, Drall, Gand, Toydarian, and/or Ithorian, and stick out like a sore thumb in any situation!

Remember though that the PC's are generally supposed to be exceptions to the rule of racial stereotypes. The FFG article mention of the Chevin Marshall seeking justice sounds especially awesome given the Chevin's penchant for slavery. I think the races presented are far more interesting than the more "attractive" near human-races, although I can certainly understand the complaint after the "rough" looking races we just received in Dangerous Covenants.

Edited by JBC22, 16 July 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#12 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

I was scrolling down and I saw that pic with the Bith and I was all BAM!  Then I kept scrolling and ....  I'm not saying I'm not happy with the choices, just figured that's were bith would have been for sure.

In other news... Marvel is officially re-releasing their earlier comics and as Jaxxon is in there.... 7 foot, meat-eating, green bunny people (Lepi), should see the light of day, eventually... and I can't "like" that enough. Hint hint FFG!

Edited by Shamrock, 16 July 2014 - 11:43 PM.

Be well,

Sham

#13 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

Wow, they're all fugly... again? Disappointing.

I'd prefer to see some more races who would actually be leads in a Star Wars story; those who look relatively human.  Zabrak, togruta, pantorans, kiffar, arkanians, etc.  I agree with Castlecruncher that most of these races we've seen recently just fill out the crowd scenes for Jabba's palace.

• Drathen and kaosoe like this

#14 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

Here's hoping for F&D.

• kaosoe and Ranger1060 like this

#15 edisung

edisung

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

Wow, they're all fugly... again? Disappointing.

I'd prefer to see some more races who would actually be leads in a Star Wars story; those who look relatively human.  Zabrak, togruta, pantorans, kiffar, arkanians, etc.  I agree with Castlecruncher that most of these races we've seen recently just fill out the crowd scenes for Jabba's palace.

well maybe that's the point for FFG.  EotE is meant to be the scum and villainy that you find on the edge of the galaxy and what better represents those sorts of characters than the audience at Jabba's palace?  i like where they are taking this, but the Entertainer specialization really had me expecting a Bith to be included.  I wonder if they are saving them for one of the upcoming supplements like Suns of Fortune as they wouldn't really embody (well stereotypically at least) any of the other specialization splatbooks.

• LETE likes this

#16 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

So totally ready to play an Arcona meth... er, salt addict Entertainer.

• LETE and kaosoe like this

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#17 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

There's a reason that Thrawn, Quinlan Vos and Ahsoka Tano weren't Chevin, that's all I'm saying.

• kaosoe and Icosiel like this

#18 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

The Arcona look ok, not my cup of tea, but they aren't bad.  No interest in the Gran whatsoever.  The Chevin look like they should be wrapped in foil and BBQed.

• BrashFink, Maelora, sonovabith and 1 other like this

#19 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Well I did guess the Gran right but the others were a big surprise. Not a bad surprise, but a big surprise none the less... 

#20 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

Gran were obvious, as they've made it clear all the AoR species will be recycled in the EoE line.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS