Photo

What can FFG do to rebuild the player base?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

I'd rather FFG have the license and make a good but small game than Wizards of the Coast owning it and just churn out terrible popular game after another.

Absolutely. I'm sure the first thing they'd do with the license is they'd hire Richard Garfield, or someone else who knows nothing at all about game design. And considering the timeline, doubtless they'd try to capitalize on the hype surrounding the upcoming film at the risk of drawing younger fans into the playerbase rather than marketing only to Classic purists.

And I'll bet they'd even dip into some of that EU crap as well.

Edited by MarthWMaster, 27 July 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#22 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Not saying it will lose the license because it has a poor player base, I'm saying that the Star Wars license will be switched over to another company sooner or later, regardless. Has nothing to do with the success of the game. Decipher's Star Wars CCG rivaled Magic in popularity and the license was still pulled. Just how it works with IP's like that.

• MarthWMaster likes this

ITT: Neckbeards use the powers of Autism and a thesaurus to respond to you.

#23 power500500

power500500

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

And no one is saying that the popularity would increase the longevity of the license. I was simply making the point that saying it will never be popular until FFG loses the license is a bit over the top. 

#24 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

If the game was going to explode in popularity, it would have already done so.

#25 power500500

power500500

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Why do you say that? 

#26 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

The player base has shrunk significantly. When a game is popular, the opposite happens.

#27 power500500

power500500

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

The player base has shrunk significantly. When a game is popular, the opposite happens.

No need to speak to me like I'm a moron. Maybe we can discuss this like gentlemen, yes?

Well my argument was that, given more events and some interesting expansion releases, a bit more life could be given to the game's community. Since you're debating me on that point, you must disagree with me. Now I hear you saying that it has hit its wall and can grow no more. I really don't buy that. First off, I don't think ANY of us know any actual numbers as to the player-base for this game. We have a couple of lads leave from our group and we think "OH NO! This game is dead!" when that's not the case at all. Of course there will be less people now then when it started (keeping in mind that was only a year and a half ago) but that happens in I would say 95% of games ever released. As for me and my home town, it's done nothing but grow. Of course it's no Magic, but VERY VERY few games are. Just because it doesn't pull in Magic numbers doesn't mean it's in trouble or no one plays. It means it's "normal".  All of that said, all we can really do is continue buying the expansions and spreading the word, because ultimately that's what it comes down to: how passionate the player-base is. If it is, then the players will be out promoting the game, setting up non-sanctioned/sanctioned  tournaments, and just generally getting more and more people to play. If the players aren't passionate they'll just sit there, buy the packs, and watch as the players start dropping like flies while they go to the forums and start complaining about declining player-base. (And I promise that last statement was not directed at you "INtheSHadowplay". You may be the biggest go-out-there-and-promote-the-game supporter that has ever existed, for all I know)

• philosophant and INtheShadowplay like this

#28 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

Wasn't trying to debate you or insult you, bro. Sorry if it came off that way. I buy every expansion set and love the game. When I first got into it, I was blown away that there were so few people playing it. I live in a large city too, so I figured that wouldn't be the case. Me and my girlfriend play almost every day, it's definitely a top-notch game. I come from the Star Wars CCG days, where Decipher was the king of being involved with their players and the game itself. It's quite a contrast with how FFG handles it. I would love for the game to catch on and become worth driving hours and hours to play at a regional or fly across the country to play at Worlds. Unfortunately, I just don't see the advantage of taking work off, driving for hours, playing against (hopefully) 15 or 20 people, driving back, etc.I just look at it from a realistic point of view. There are pockets where there are 20-30 players weekly, but the pockets are few and far between. I totally want to see FFG pick up the slack and help their own game grow (I really don't know why they can't wrap their heads around this... more players=more money=more Star Wars LCG and repeat). They seem to have fixed their delayed release of product problem, so that's a step in the right direction. Again, didn't mean to come off short with you or anything.

#29 power500500

power500500

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hey, no problem. I just can't stand when internet forums turn to...well internet forums. Yes, it does have to be a mutual relationship. The players AND manufacturer. And I agree that It seems like in this case that the players are doing all we can. That goes back to my original post though, FFG needs to get some more tourneys, playstyles, and whatever else they can to energize the players to get more and more people to come out to the events. While they do have top-notch production quality, I also agree with you that they could get a little more involved like Decipher was. 

• INtheShadowplay likes this

#30 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Decipher days, where I lost every game and still felt like a winner after every tournament. Ah, to be 13 and chubby again.

• shaggscoob, power500500 and KennedyHawk like this

#31 Boris_the_Dwarf

Boris_the_Dwarf

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

There was an article over a year ago about the topic of LCG success. Much of the analysis was anecdotal, but I do recall reading that an LCG has the most players upon release. That is not to say the game doesn't attract new players over the course of its life, but that the number of new players is little more than a replacement of players who have quit the game, on a national (perhaps international) scale.

So a whole venue may abandon the game and another venue going strong picks up an equal number of players. But overall, the number is shrinking just because of the nature of the LCG beast.

It doesn't help that FFG refuses outright to create a real Organized Play department. Say what you will about WizKids or WIzards of Coast - and trust me, I can say plenty about both of them - but their cream-of-the-crop games continue to draw crowds to the tournament scene, which is what in turn keeps the casual player base stocked with product.

• MarthWMaster likes this

#32 stevepop

stevepop

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:15 AM

The player base has shrunk significantly. When a game is popular, the opposite happens

The player base was never big, but I see zero evidence that it's shrunk.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#33 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

This has some interesting points.  I've basically stopped playing, myself, since I have no one to play with IRL, and I just don't feel motivated to use OCTGN for some reason.  It's a shame.  I do enjoy the game, but...I don't know.

#34 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

Back on the OT.

I think like others have said a player base database would go a long way. Just let stores register and list their game nights somewhere on the official website.

I know our meta has grown from lows around 3-4 (highs 7-8) to lows around 7-8 (highs 10-11) in the past 6 months. So that's great to see. Hopefully it keeps rolling.

• MarthWMaster, divinityofnumber and MacRauri like this

#35 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

The player base has shrunk significantly. When a game is popular, the opposite happens

It has here, no one plays it anymore.

It is all Netrunner or AGoT.

#36 stevepop

stevepop

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

It has here, no one plays it anymore.

It is all Netrunner or AGoT.

Netrunner is king everywhere, of course. As for AGoT, I hear that people play it around here although I've rarely actually seen that happen.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS